Triumph 675 Forums banner

Power commander

916 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  adrianm413 
#1 ·
So I was out riding yesterday with a few of my friends and they have 900's and 1300's with exhaust. Needless to say, there's no way anyone heard my bike lol. My question is what makes you need a power commander? Like I know they make slip-ons, but what exactly do you have to change on the bike for you to need to use one? Thanks.

#2 ·
That's not an easy question to answer. It depends on the bike, what you've done to it, and whether you can fiddle with the ECU.

For any bike that allows you to make adjustments to the fueling via the ECU, you don't need a power commander, though you could use one.

If you've added a slip-on + filter, your bike is probably running lean and would benefit from some fueling adjustment. That's what a power commander is designed to do. Adjust fueling. My rule of thumb is slip-on+filter (or anything higher than that aka full system) = fueling adjustment. How that fueling adjustment happens depends. You can go the ECU reflash route (which can be aftermarket or through the dealer depending on bike), you can go fairly complicated piggyback fuel adjuster aka power commander or bazzazz, or you can go simple piggyback fuel adjuster aka something like an EJK.

You can probably get away with running without a fueling adjustment with just a slip-on or just an air filter change, but you're going to be running leaner and thus hotter, which could affect the engine health in the long run and your bike's performance.

Anthony does a pretty solid job of explaining what the deal with power commanders are here -

#4 ·
adding to this, it would be a GREAT idea to keep an obd tool connected to your bike while you ride after first adding mods, to make sure your engine temperature doesn't go more than a few degrees higher than it used to. I personally would never be cool with my engine running more than 10*F hotter than it would stock, because of long term engine damage. I use a bluetooth obd connected to my smart phone and the phone sits on my triple tree, I can watch my temperature as i ride to make sure that nothing gets out of hand after a brand new slip on or aftermarket air filter.

#3 ·
A Power Commander or a Bazzaz will increase your engine life and gain a few more hp. All stock bikes are fueled very lean to meet current emissions standards. Your Dyno tuner will use an exhaust gas analyzer to maximize you fuel air mix based on your pipe and intake modifications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.