Triumph 675 Forums banner

Why Kawasaki will never get my money again.

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jdgun_13 
#1 ·
On June 7, 2007 I purchased a Ninja 250R for $3254 OTD. It was black with the red tribal flames. Was an awesome bike, for about 2 months. In August, it began dying on me, at stoplights, going down the highway at 60mph, or just idling in the driveway. I adjusted the idle needle ( to about 2k rpm) just to keep it running at stoplights.

I took it to the dealer, and they looked it over (kept overnight), and found nothing. Handed me the keys.

2 weeks go by, it's still doing it. So BACK to the dealer I go. They keep the bike for a week. They find nothing.
The mechanic: I think it might be the kickstand sensor.
Me: Even when the kickstand is up or down, or going down the highway, idling in neutral or in top gear?
Mechanic: You have a point. I did reset the idle screw in your carb, it was too high.
Me: I kept it there, to keep it running at a red light or stop sign.
Mechanic: Oh. If it keeps it up, bring it back and we WILL fix it.

September comes around, and it won't stop dying. I take it back for the 3rd time.

Mechanic: Do you mind if I ride it, to see what it's doing?
Me: Nope, go ahead. If you wreck it, you buy it.
Mechanic: hehe, Ok.

He comes back...
Mechanic: It died on me once, at 3 lights and 3 stop signs. (He rode it about 7 miles).
He looks the bike over, looking around the kickstand, and wiring harness.
Mechanic: I am gonna keep the bike, and take the tank off. I'll call you when it's ready.

I get the call the next day.
Mechanic: Patrick, this is "so and so" from Check Yamaha/Kawasaki, can you come to the dealership around 3 PM?
Me: sure.

We meet. From his look he isn't happy.
Mechanic: I put it on the diagnostic computer, and it's showing up nothing, yet I know it's dying. I am calling the head office.

Mechanic: Yeah, I have an EX250 here, that starts, and will run for about 5-10 minutes, then shuts off, I have put it on the diagnostics, and it's showing up nothing.
Corp: Fax over the diag
Mechanic: See? Nothing.
Corp: You said it starts?
Mechanic: Yes.
Corp: Can you pull out, and ride it.
Maechanic: Yes. But at a stop light, it will die. Not every time, but randomly. I rode it through 3 lights, and 3 stop signs, and it died once, but started back up.
Corp: Since nothing is on the diag sheet, ther is nothing wrong with it. Hand him his keys.
Mechanic: But, this is his 3rd time here, and it does shut off...(corp cuts him off mid sentence).
Corp: Hand him his keys there is nothing wrong with it. *click*
Mechanic: well damn. Here is your keys, you heard it. There is nothing more I can do, without their approval.
Me: Well, I am going to sell it, and never buy another one. If I can get it home.
Mechanic: I don't blame you.
Me: I should have bought that Yamaha Raven out there.
Mechanic: *laughs* yeah, me too.

I left.

Now, you can choose to believe this or not. I do not know what was up Kawi Corps' butt, but he was even rude to the mechanic. Hence, why I won't buy Kawasaki.

It was sold on February 27, 2008 for $2557. YAHOO! Only lost $700

See less See more
#2 ·
Great to know. Thanks for the share Shamrock.

I ha e never been a Kawi fan in the first place, but for cost and ride ability was going to start the lady off with one, As she is getting into riding.
I now will not even look that direction. I'm sure some people have had foods experiences, and maybe someone at Corp was just having a bad day when you were there, but i refuse to support and work with companies that don't take care of the customer... OR employees.

You have to listen to the boots on ground. It would have cost them nothing to give you another 250 for a week while they stripped and equipped that thing. If they figured out what was wrong, think of all the other 250 owners that may have encountered that they could be helping and not losing.

I'm sorry for the experience, but thanks for sharing.
I'm pretty tempted to just get a street triple and let her ride it... ( because I want one ; )
But she is not confident yet, so gotta take care of her and not my addiction eh

#4 ·
Great to know. Thanks for the share Shamrock.

I ha e never been a Kawi fan in the first place, but for cost and ride ability was going to start the lady off with one, As she is getting into riding.
I now will not even look that direction. I'm sure some people have had foods experiences, and maybe someone at Corp was just having a bad day when you were there, but i refuse to support and work with companies that don't take care of the customer... OR employees.

You have to listen to the boots on ground. It would have cost them nothing to give you another 250 for a week while they stripped and equipped that thing. If they figured out what was wrong, think of all the other 250 owners that may have encountered that they could be helping and not losing.

I'm sorry for the experience, but thanks for sharing.
I'm pretty tempted to just get a street triple and let her ride it... ( because I want one ; )
But she is not confident yet, so gotta take care of her and not my addiction eh
The R3 might fit the bill. I had nothing but good experiences with Yamaha.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that,pretty crappy dealer/mechanic. That Gen ninja is pretty rudimentary. How he couldn't at least figure out the problem is ridiculous. Sounds carb related to me,but what do I know.
I have a 2006 and it is bullet proof.
Just curious what made you post this almost 9 years later?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Why Kawasaki will never get my money again
Well the thing is, what you just described there sounds like every dealer service tech everywhere. That's why I never go to a dealer for anything, sometimes not even for warranty coverage. Your bike was a Kawasaki, but it could have been a Honda, Triumph, Ducati, or anything. The make, model and dealer change but the story is always the same - "We couldn't find anything, here's your keys."

Also, I waited until the baby ninja was fuel injected before I got one for myself. At least with those, some of the time they will throw a code that helps me track down an issue.

#9 · (Edited)
Pretty lousy affair especially since you bought the bike new. I haven't bought a machine new ever, always used cause I'm poor but I remember when I rebuilt a 2008 CBR1000R to ride that Honda guys were complaining about a similar experience with the oil burning issues the flat nose 2008+ generation had. Usually that 250 Ninja is pretty bulletproof too.

#10 ·
As mentioned what happened is very true for MOST bike makers...

I have only had 3 bikes under warranty in my life, and never had to use it on the 675R, used it on my RSV4 for a recall and was told 4-8 weeks for a $12 part.. ended up buying a $150 billet part to remedy the problem, which they installed for free.
My 1098 was a whole different story, shady work by one shop caused a whole lot of problems that Ducati North America was amazing on fixing..
Took them a little over a month though.

Personally prefer to do my own work, but when you have a warranty it sure makes me a mute point in many regards.

Hopefully your next ride it wont be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.