Triumph 675 Forums banner

2014 CBR1000RR rear shock

12K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  tim8061 
#1 ·
I am seriously debating on putting this new showa "balance free" shock onto the striple. It is showas version of the TTX shock and a big piston version of a shock. My thoughts are if this shock can give as good of feel, feedback, and dampening (espcially over bumps, transitioning over crests or side to side) as my forks do then I will be in better business. Also it will match up my suspension components, showa big piston all around.

The critics are raving about this shock, but before I go this route I would like to hear peoples feedback.

Currently Im running a 2010 R1 shock and it has performed great, only a few slips of the back end which Im 100% sure they were my fault. But if this new shock is better then why not.

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/honda/ss/2012-Honda-Cbr1000rr-Tech-Dive_6.htm

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Also from one reviewer, and I take editors reviews with a grain of salt, but...
"Bigger news is the Showa Balance-Free shock, which uses similar twin-tube technology as the Öhlins TTX unit that has become de rigueur in racing (Honda claims this is an industry-first for a production motorcycle, and that’s true for the most part, but remember upgraded Ducati and Triumph models like the 675R come from the factory equipped with a TTX shock). What sets the Balance-Free shock apart from a standard unit is the valve-free piston, which works within the shock’s inner tube. Damping force is generated as oil flows in only one direction through damping valves that are placed within the shock body but separate from each other. What Showa—and Honda—look to achieve from using the Balance-Free shock is more consistent damping characteristics and reduced lag between the compression and rebound stroke caused by cavitation within the shock. The decreased pressure required by the shock also reduces stiction"

#3 ·
Sorry, I meant to add. The shock upper and lower mounting points are the same size and width as the CBR600 shock so mounting shouldnt be an issue. The shock itself is 300mm in length eye bolt to eye bolt. But with my R1 shock and flux plates and 5mm of shims, this shock will allow me to return to normal (actually 4mm higher than stock) seat height. The stock spring is a 12kg spring.

One issue will be the adjusters will be a little tight to get to and the preload will be hell to adjust with the shock on the bike. But those items are manageable.

Ok, I think thats all I have now. Waiting to hear other views.

#9 ·
Haha, I hear ya Nasty. Everyone should be thankful I wasn't drinking when I began this thread or we would already be 3 pages deep lol.

So some pics of the shock. I asked the seller to use calipers but all he had was a tape measure. It still shows what I needed to know, that basically all measurements are the same as other CBR shocks and you must use the CBR 1.5" spacers at the dog bone, linkage, etc.

Attachments

#15 ·
#18 ·
For standard ST3, they are lacking everything related to suspension lol. But I am currently running an R1 shock on mine and its a great shock. A really great shock. But I want to try something new. And see if this balance free shock is truly as great as everyone says it is. And also match up my suspension components.

#19 ·
So I finally got tunecu to work. I reset my service reminder, Im going to turn of the sai and use block off plates, and got a look at which map im running. I asked if ABS option will be available soon, awaiting word back for that. For the price (I think the total was $22 for everything) its a great tool for the tool bag.

#20 ·
So I got the CBR shock installed and did a 60 mile trip at a decent pace. And to give a comparison between the R1 shock and the CBR shock. The CBR shock is stiffer (12kg spring) than the R1 (10kg spring). I didn't notice a difference in traction between the two but I also didn't push it hard today either. What differences I did notice was the CBR's dampening seemed to be a little smoother. More so going over bumps and over hills/crest, the CBR shock felt more smooth, stable and planted.

The gripes: to adjust preload Ill have to remove the exhaust. And to adjust compression or rebound Ill make a special tool or buy one of those small fork adjustment tools.

All in all the R1 shock is an awesome shock, but the CBR shock feels smoother. Its dampening is a little smoother and the better dampening is more noticeable going over bumps and uneven terrain.

To install the CBR shock just follow the CBR shock install protocol.

So now I have married my front and rear suspension with showas big piston design suspension. And Im beyond pleased with how it all turned out. Its not ohlins or other top tier aftermarket parts, but I also think its equal if not better than the KYB parts that are on the 675's.

Attachments

#21 ·
So I got the CBR shock installed and did a 60 mile trip at a decent pace. And to give a comparison between the R1 shock and the CBR shock. The CBR shock is stiffer (12kg spring) than the R1 (10kg spring). I didn't notice a difference in traction between the two but I also didn't push it hard today either. What differences I did notice was the CBR's dampening seemed to be a little smoother. More so going over bumps and over hills/crest, the CBR shock felt more smooth, stable and planted.

The gripes: to adjust preload Ill have to remove the exhaust. And to adjust compression or rebound Ill make a special tool or buy one of those small fork adjustment tools.

All in all the R1 shock is an awesome shock, but the CBR shock feels smoother. Its dampening is a little smoother and the better dampening is more noticeable going over bumps and uneven terrain.

To install the CBR shock just follow the CBR shock install protocol.

So now I have married my front and rear suspension with showas big piston design suspension. And Im beyond pleased with how it all turned out. Its not ohlins or other top tier aftermarket parts, but I also think its equal if not better than the KYB parts that are on the 675's.
Hi, when you had the 09+ R1 shock fitted, did you use the street triple or R1 top shock mount?, I've just purchased a late R1 shock and I'm hoping to put it in soon along with a set of tripletek suspension plates.

#24 ·
Just a word of advice, I've done parts swaps like this before and it doesn't really work well. I'd suggest purchasing a proper shock that was designed and setup up correctly for your bike and riding style. What usually happens with modifications like this is that you wind up with a bike that reacts differently and your suspension simply isn't designed for it your motorcycle so trying to adjust the suspension becomes a nightmare simply trying to get it back to stock geometry so that you have a base to start from to get the bike reacting correctly. If you need help with suspension and a honest person to ask questions please reach out Ed Sorbo from his website http://www.le-suspension.com/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
Just a word of advice, I've done parts swaps like this before and it doesn't really work well.
That depends on the shock, lots of folk have swapped out the OE for a cbr600rr shock which works fine. With any shock you need the right spring to start and the rest is how well the damping and adjustment work, so there's no reason why something better quality off another bike isn't worth trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.