Triumph 675 Forums banner

What track bike should Rorz get?

• '06 CBR600RR

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • '06 GSXR750

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • '06 R6

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Stop being weak sauce and keep tracking the SE.

Votes: 25 45.5%

Should Rorz buy a track bike?

44K views 574 replies 26 participants last post by  old blue 
#1 ·
So, I've been thinking about buying a track bike....

I've been taking my SE to the track a fair bit lately and plan to hit the track a lot more. While I love riding the 'tona on the track I am a little concerned about putting it down and not being covered by insurance. I bought it new and it's only done around 5,000kms and it's immaculate and I kind of want it to stay that way.

So I've been thinking about buying something considerably cheaper to thrash at the track. That way if it gets dropped it will be annoying but not seventeen odd grand down the toilet. I'd love to get another daytona but they seem a little too expensive. The other thing is that parts for jap bikes seem to be shitloads cheaper. I was thinking of spending around 6-7k on '06 onward 600 (any make) or gsxr 750. I know it's just a track bike but I'd want something in decent condition with resonably low kms. Had a bit of a look around and I think this is achievable.

Thoughts? Other bike options I should consider? Should I just keep tracking my SE and hope for the best?

#503 ·
Drill some self tappers into your sliders for some cheap DIY sparkies, just don't go too far in!!!

FYI - most track day groups now dislike sparkies as it can put off other riders.

#504 ·
Now that you say that, if I look closely it looks like they have moulded a couple brass screws into the slider! :laugh:

I've raced against people using them but sometimes you also get the same thing from people that have metal toe guards on their boots? A few boot brands use them. I can't imagine getting red flagged for it.

#506 ·
We both know that lap times are directly related to stickers and looking good. :laugh: Actually that couldn't be less true, normally the bloke with leathers in tatters and the most banged up bike (normally still in primer) is running the fastest laps.

All of that said, if the weather is decent at the Island on the 12th and 13th, I'm going to have a real crack at going sub 1:44. If it doesn't go well I'll be posting from Royal Melbourne hospital for a while.... :whistle:

#509 ·
Best spot is on the beams above the garage doors but they're pretty hot on it. Only real option is to go hi-tech and get a GPS system or use your mobile.

#513 ·
Don't go and bin it now.... you'll cry.

On the other hand, it would give you an excuse to buy a 675 tracker...

Looking very cool... professional even. Pretty envious of the custom spray job (buy Juz's still looks nice...).

#514 ·
Don't go and bin it now.... you'll cry.

On the other hand, it would give you an excuse to buy a 675 tracker...

Looking very cool... professional even. Pretty envious of the custom spray job (buy Juz's still looks nice...).
Smiley has done an amazing job with the paint. I actually can't believe how well it turned out. I am very worried about putting it down and making a mess of things... what can you do though, it's a race bike. Doesn't stop me getting all cut up about stone chips though! Hate to see what I'll be like if it actually gets scratched... :laugh:

#523 ·
I got real worried there OB when you started to say that you'll get the glitter out and tart up your seven year old...

I can't really speak. I'll be the dirty old man when my girls get to their mid-teens... all those little friends dropping over... well late teens!!! I bet by that time nothing will work as it should... we except me working 10 jobs just to keep all of them happy!!!!

I told my wife that was the best thing about having two girls...

#524 ·
Couple pics from Phillip Island on Monday:

Was good to share a garage with JayP and his mate Jason, both on Daytonas. JayP's daytona sounded awesome with the Akra full system, could really hear it over the myriad of inline 4's and twins. Both of them had a ball and thankfully all three of us managed to escape the crash fest.

I struggled for grip on the Monday when these pics were taken but ended up running a PB in tough conditions on the Tuesday. The historic car race on the weekend left the track coated in oil. Very treacherous, one of the PIRD guys told me there were 8 red flags in the first 12 sessions... not good. Hopefully everyone that went down is okay but I know several broke bones.

#527 ·
Couple pics from Phillip Island on Monday:

Was good to share a garage with JayP and his mate Jason, both on Daytonas. JayP's daytona sounded awesome with the Akra full system, could really hear it over the myriad of inline 4's and twins. Both of them had a ball and thankfully all three of us managed to escape the crash fest.

I struggled for grip on the Monday when these pics were taken but ended up running a PB in tough conditions on the Tuesday. The historic car race on the weekend left the track coated in oil. Very treacherous, one of the PIRD guys told me there were 8 red flags in the first 12 sessions... not good. Hopefully everyone that went down is okay but I know several broke bones.
Great to meet you Rorz - and your quite right we had a absolute ball. The trip was perfect in every possible way! The local knowledge was much appreciated!

Awesome pics too - they came out really well, shame you cant see the 'vive la France' knee pucks tho haha

#534 ·
Did you get all the go-fast bits out of OB's shed as well?
I'm sure next season that SV will start to look more and more like a GSXR750...

#535 ·
I think I've ordered just about everything I need to get her going again:

-Brembo brake lever and master cylinder
-Spiegler banjo fitting to suit Brembo M/C
-new fairing stay bracket
-new RHS engine case
-new RHS engine case gasket
-new RHS Woodcraft rearset w/brake pedal
-new Yoshimura case savers
-new screen (cheap one from ebay)
-set of '09 OEM wheels w/bearings (08-10 wheels are quite a bit lighter than 06-07)
-set of '09 OEM front brake rotors (also lighter than 06-07)

Also got some service parts:

-another set of Carbone Lorraine C59 race pads
-3 x K&N oil filters
-another BMC race filter (old ones done a fair bit of work)

Still need to order a new rear brake master cylinder, just waiting for an ebay seller to get back to me with postage price and I'll have one on the way.

Now it's just a waiting game for everything to arrive. Hoping most of it is at home when I get back from working at Gladstone so I can start working on it over Xmas/New Years.

I think I got there just in time, before OB's salvage operation started...

#538 ·
rorz it looks like you did a fair job of it! Hows your hand going?

Curious about the Yoshi engine cover, did it just break away? Ie not do its job?
Hand is pretty good now Jay. Back in the gym lifting weights and even started kickboxing again so it's obviously healed up pretty well. Have a bit of a lump where the bone was compressed (it got compressed a little as well as fractured) which may or may not go away but I have pretty much 100% strength and movement now so I'm happy.

The case saver looks to have taken the brunt of the impact then torn out of the bolts. To be fair it was a pretty heavy impact, I'm not sure any kind of case saver/protection would have stood up to it. You can see it's actually bent one of the steel bolts over and damaged the thread in the block. If the case saver was any stronger I'd probably be looking at a new block/short motor.

Hey Rorz...what was the reason the engine spat its oil and caused all this carnage in the first place?

O.B
Dunno mate, geographically I couldn't be much further away from the bike at the moment so I haven't been able to check it out. I didn't see much point in removing the cases until I had another one to replace the damaged one. It'd just end up with no case for weeks and weeks which would probably lead to dust getting into the motor. It's only now I have a job again that I can start buying the parts to fix it but it also means I'm no where near the bike until Xmas/New Years.

Hopefully the new case and gasket will be at home when I land on the 21st, I'll have a bit of a look then.

#540 ·
Hand is pretty good now Jay. Back in the gym lifting weights and even started kickboxing again so it's obviously healed up pretty well. Have a bit of a lump where the bone was compressed (it got compressed a little as well as fractured) which may or may not go away but I have pretty much 100% strength and movement now so I'm happy.

The case saver looks to have taken the brunt of the impact then torn out of the bolts. To be fair it was a pretty heavy impact, I'm not sure any kind of case saver/protection would have stood up to it. You can see it's actually bent one of the steel bolts over and damaged the thread in the block. If the case saver was any stronger I'd probably be looking at a new block/short motor.
quote]

Mate glad to hear the recovery was quick and successful - good to hear your back on the shopping as well. The G$X stickers seem to be doing the job :)

Im running the Yoshi covers on on my R6 and always wondered how they would fair in a acka vs the GB's..

#541 ·
Bit the bullet and paid $200 landed for a set of 09 front brake rotors and bolts.

Im running the Yoshi covers on on my R6 and always wondered how they would fair in a acka vs the GB's..
I'm not sure GB's would have fared much better.

#539 ·
So... brake rotors. The OEM set I was looking to buy from ebay have fallen through, other sellers are asking too much $$$ for used 2nd hand rotors.

Anyone used any aftermarket brands with success that weren't eleventy million dollars?? Tempted to get EBC X-series rotors from STG but they are out of stock till next year and I can't wait that long.

#542 ·
So... brake rotors. The OEM set I was looking to buy from ebay have fallen through, other sellers are asking too much $$$ for used 2nd hand rotors.

Anyone used any aftermarket brands with success that weren't eleventy million dollars?? Tempted to get EBC X-series rotors from STG but they are out of stock till next year and I can't wait that long.
Rorz -

My 320mm (Chinese!) petal discs were $199 delivered.

They have been raced extensively now in all conditions, are still straight and are wearing well. Who'd a thunk it?

I'll try to find a link.

O.B

#547 ·
Changed the case on the RHS, new case savers haven't rocked up yet so I couldn't put them on at the same time. Took the airbox off, had a good look around. Looks like the oil breather has come off the airbox. Some oil in the airbox but not really as much as I would have thought. Some spillage outside the airbox from where the hose has been sitting after coming off. Refilled with fresh oil and water. Realised radiator is damaged. Neck section that the cap screws into is all mangled, cap doesn't go on anymore. Refilled it with demin water and realised it also has a crack where the bolt from the overflow threads into it. Probably looking at a new radiator.

So I stuffed a rag into the radiator and turned it over. Fired up straight away and seems to run well. Couldn't see any oil leaks so things are looking good.

#550 ·
Or I suspect, the same disposable income!!!!!

If OB could get away with gaffa tape and cable ties as a solution to every problem he would.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.