Triumph 675 Forums banner

'09 D675 new fuel pump problem?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ffemt 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Was able to take my bike out after a month being in the shop. Had crashed back in December and a road reflector sheared off my left stator case. I had to replace the flywheel, stator, and fuel pump. Today I went on an all day ride with about 8 stops. Randomly and three times today.. the bike would bog down after 6k-7k rpm in any gear and wouldn't pull. It sounded as if you're going up a steep hill in too high of a gear or if you've ridden dirt bikes, that sound/feel when the 2-stroke engine was still cold bwaaahhhhwahhhh. Twice, I had to shut the bike down and when I fired her up it was fine. The last time it started maybe 5 minutes into the ride home and went away 2-3 miles later on the freeway.

At first I thought maybe a weird sensor thing.. sometimes my speedometer gets 1st and 2nd mixed up.. the digital will read 2nd when I'm really in first. I had started the bike up the first time this problem occurred while the speedo read 2nd but I was in 1st, and I thought maybe it messed with the computer that controls something related to the fuel.. but I don't know bikes enough (yet). Has this happened to any one before? I plan on taking it to the mechanic that installed the fuel pump soon but I'd like to go in with more knowledge and so I can better explain the problem.. I'm stationed in Okinawa so there's a slight language barrier. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not the speedometer that tells which gear you're in it's the gear position sensor and if it's faulty it could be giving the ECU incorrect fueling requirements. I'd give it a good clean and see if that helps.

The sensor is located under the front sprocket cover, just above the chain. It's held in place with two bolts and is about the size of a half dollar. The simple fix is to remove the gear shifter so it is out of the way. Then take off the front sprocket cover. Clean up all the built up crud/grease/chain lube from the area. Remove the two bolts securing the gear position sensor and gently but securely, wiggle the sensor out of its hole. If you find residual oil in there and on the sensor itself gently wipe it all clean and spray a very small amount of electrical contact cleaner on the hole and the sensor, allow it to marinate for about a minute and then wiped the hole clean while using a touch of compressed air to blow out the sensor area. Reinstall in reverse order.

#4 ·
Thank you! I didn't have any electrical contact cleaner but I wiped out the sensor and area it plugs in. There was a bit of oil, slightly yellow/clear. Dried and reinstalled. I was also told to try some fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of gas in case any crud in the fuel. Also think a good recommendation?

If the above does not work, there is a "new and improved" GPS sensor. The new "kit" part contains a sub-harness that connects to the TPS.

Check out this thread:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184201

I replaced my original with this updated version after numerous fix attempts. No problems since. There are a couple other threads with install pics as well.
Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind if this easy fix doesn't work. Was the gear indicator reading the wrong gear your only problem or did you also have any fuel issues?

#6 ·
So I cleaned the gear position sensor and ran a whole bottle of the fuel system cleaner w/ full tank, and for 2 rides she was perfect. Then, went on another 200km ride today and hit the flat spots again for about 2-3km until it went away on its own. Any more suggestions i could try? Possibly crud in the gas tank still or in the lines? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.