Triumph 675 Forums banner

wrecked - freak accident

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Tbikes 
#1 ·
So yesterday, I was on my way home from work. I did a few errands and was enjoying the beautiful weather we were having here in NJ. I get about a mile from home and get stuck behind a hay bale truck. Normal occurrence since i live in horse country, so I don't think anything of it. I was behind him for about a half mile before the shit hit the fan. I looked up because we were coming up to some trees above the road to make sure he didn't knock any branches down on me. He gets passed the trees fine but just passed them he clips a telephone wire and pulled it down. The wire falls and catches my neck. I tried to pull it up and over but couldn't and it pulled me off the bike. ******* didn't even stop.

Luckily I'm ok. I have a friction burn where the wire caught me and slight road rash on my stomach. Bike was rashed up pretty good but I didn't get a good look since I was on the phone with 911. Hopefully today I'll be able to go pick it up and take it to the dealer to have it fixed.

Just figured I'd share since you never really hear about hazards like this.

Picture of my neck: URL=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/James_Hollender/media/Mobile%20Uploads/57ee740a-19d4-4918-984d-5eb5ec4ada0b.jpg.html]
[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on not getting decapitated or having your windpipe crushed, sorry to hear about the bike.

That's messed up, no way of finding the driver eh? I'm sure he had no idea, driving a big ass truck he probably didn't feel a thing when he clipped the wire, still his responsibility to know the max height driving around that area though.

#5 ·
yea. It could've been a lot worse. I guess this is what I get for riding responsibly and not passing slow vehicles...

I'm more worried about my bike now. they took it to a place 40 min away so im not driving all the way there to just look at it. Insurance told me to just leave it there until the claims rep contacts me.

I just got my new exhaust in on Tuesday too. Now my weekend plans are shot.

#12 ·
yea. It could've been a lot worse
That ^ is quite an understatement! I'm glad your ok, your story is one of the craziest I've heard. Your really lucky considering what happened.
Take care of yourself and make that ******* truck drivers insurance pay for everything.

Where is this "horse country" you speak of in Jersey? Mendham? I'm in NNJ, maybe when you get your bike sorted out we could "head off" for a ride. Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, I'm up for a ride.

#7 ·
Wow, that definitely falls into the freak accident category....glad the worst you ended up with was some rash :frown2:

Reminds me of a racer around here who went off track, kept his bike upright, but they had put up a single strand electric fence for the cows waaayy out there - he made it that far, managed to get his hand between the wire and his throat, but ended up with a similar ending....photog actually got it on camera, too :surprise:

#8 ·
When talking freak accidents, a guy that came to look at my bike had a good one. He was telling me he picked up his current bike for a few hundred $$ from the previous owner because he was involved in a crash. I asked him what happened.

Apparently the guy was speeding and a cop car made a u-turn to go after him. He decided to make a run for it (bad idea), started losing the rear in a turn and high sided. Since he was in rural VA, he crashed into a barbwire fence taking off his arm!! Meanwhile the bike flew through the air, hit a horse and killed it!!

#9 ·
Insurance finally called me back. Wrecker yard is closed until Monday so need wait til then to go sign a release so the dealer can pick it up. The dealer is closed Monday so they will have to pick it up Tuesday do the estimate and start fixing it.

I still don't know if the cops got the guy that caused the accident, but one of the first responders indicated that they knew who it was before they took me away. I'll have to wait until I pick up the police report.

#14 ·
Well it's been 3 days. Neck is still pretty sore and the friction burned throat hurts worse than my road rash. I'll find out tomorrow how bad my bike is when I go sign the release at the towing yard. Hopefully I can get in contact with the state trooper that responded to the scene and find out if they caught the guy that caused it. If they didn't I'll show them the field the hay truck pulled out of and see if they can track him down from there. I really hope they did because I shouldn't have to take the hit on my insurance for something I didn't cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.