Triumph 675 Forums banner

Resolved: Fed Up - Going After Triumph (Malfunctioning Daytona)

10K views 83 replies 18 participants last post by  Shamrock 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Where are you getting a 7 year warranty from? Its a one year from Triumph. There is no way you are getting a buy back after over 2 years of owning it.

Every bike ever made with an EXUP has issues, they all suck. Most just disable it because they suck.

Have your throttle bodies been balanced? Is the idle stepper working correctly? Usually thats why it dies coming to a stop.

Have you disconnected the QS and ridden around? Did it stop cutting out?

NY Lemon Law does apply to motorcyles but you are well outside of the protection area. It would need to be under 2 years or less than 18k miles which ever comes first.

#3 · (Edited)
Good luck man and sorry you've had so many issues. I have experienced only a portion of the issues you describe but I've also had it fixed with no issues at return. The biggest complaint I had was headers had to be ordered and shipped from England versus having anything in the CONUS.

To note, I have a 5 year warranty. I know Triumph is normally 2 and may even be less but I checked my paperwork and it's 5.

I watched your videos again and it reminded me of an issue I had similar to yours. Going on the highway and it would suddenly drop and then go again! Really scary when there are 18-wheelers and minivans around you! My fix was my O2 bung. It was literally just sitting in the hole of the headers. The welds that held the threads in somehow snapped out and it was rattling around in the header! That's when they ordered me a new header. Haven't had an issue. Somewhere to look for you.

#6 ·
*Correction, it is a 6 year warranty, checked my paperwork. The bike came with a 2 year manufacturer warranty, and I purchased a 4 year manufacturer backed warranty through RPMOne.
Thats not a factory/OEM warranty. Thats a 3rd party warranty which unfortunately are typically crap. Google RPMOne Warranty, its not pretty for many.

I would advise you to not be a dick to either Triumph or your dealer going forward, as they can and will string you along so it costs them as little as possible.

If you arent willing to try and troubleshoot it yourself and help them out a bit you might as well just sell it as is. Go buy dealer tool, balance the TBs, check for vacuum leaks, check your idle values make sure they are within spec, and look at your wiring for the QS and see if its rubbing or pinched somewhere causing a short. Im not saying to keep it disconnected, Im saying disconnect it and see if the problem goes away. The more info you can provide to your shop the easier it will be for them to fix, and none of this is complicated.

If you dont think your current shop can fix the issue then why even bother bringing it to them? Keep in mind that with your 3rd party warranty you need to find someone that accepts RPMOne coverage.

#8 ·
Check your kick stand sensor. A loose or failing one has caused that cut out issue on my other bikes

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Sounds like your stealeships are no different to ours here in Australia, completely useless and only good for ordering in parts.

Not being mechanically minded makes it difficult as you have probably swallowed every word of rubbish that the dealer has fed over the years.

My best advice is that you offer up a bounty on the forum. something like a bottle of top shelf booze to the man that can go to your house or vise versa, diagnose and fix your problem. From looking on the forum there seems to be plenty of 675 guru's around you.

#13 ·
I read through the invoice from your dealership. Umm...is there another dealer near you? Because I would seriously consider going elsewhere.

Apart from the CCT rattle, my initial reaction to your problem is an electrical issue. Your shop replaced the quickshifter (good idea, I would've done the same), CCT and blades, but then they also saw fit to replace the entire cylinder head, all valves and both camshafts. I really can't imagine a scenario, based on your symptoms, in which replacing the whole top end is the next logical step. Did you pay out of pocket for any of this??

Seriously, LG is on the right track here; post up in your local sub-forum asking for mechanical help. It should take an hour for someone experienced to go through the harness, make sure nothing is melted or unplugged and maybe smear some dielectric grease into the connectors. You're much better off solving the problem quickly in your own garage than waiting god knows how long for your (seemingly) incompetent dealer to find the problem or for Triumph to man up and foot the bill or replace the bike.

#15 ·
Everyone continues to say it is electrical, yet the dealer has said nothing of the sort.

I have not paid a dime, and refuse to.
Whom do you think you should listen to at this point? A forum of many mechanically-inclined riders with years of experience with your particular bike, or a dealer that randomly flings thousands of dollars worth of parts at it? I really hope the head mechanic figures it out but don't hold your breath if he's been in charge this whole time.

At least you haven't paid anything yet, that's a big plus and should stay that way.

#19 ·
If you want any Triumph goodwill, I would cool it on the demands. This is business. I don't understand why you're discussing your riding history. Nobody cares. If you're that fed up with it, consider the great advice many members have offered up. You can learn about your bike; we all have to start somewhere. Or continue getting no traction and trying to get others to sympathize with you.

#22 ·
This is not a good will issue, nor am I looking for any. The motorcycle was reported malfunctioning during the manufacturer warranty period, and the dealership was unsuccessful in diagnosing/repairing on 4 separate attempts.

I did not make any demands, I made stern suggestions on how I expect the issue handled.

The riding experience was shared for the reason MGFChapin shared below.

I do not post things on forums for sympathy. I post so that others can glean information about my personal experience. I do not know why you have chosen to take such a negative approach, open a beer and relax, it's Friday.

^ exactly. That is the attitude I am being met with. Essentially "If we can't figure it out, then you are the cause".
I'm drinking a beer as we speak. Totally relaxed. I just saw a lot of correlation with your Lexol thread. I will continue to glean from all the insight you have to offer ;)

#28 ·
Triumph has not responded to my last email, nor have they granted me the simple request of a phone call response.

We have now surpassed 7 days that the motorcycle has been in the shop, bringing my grand total to 40+ days in the shop for this issue alone. (Triumph of Westchester has failed to provide me with in/out times).

I just finished contacting 30+ Triumph Managerial employees via linkedin, including the owners, and members of the board (I know I won't get through their secretaries).

I am beginning to gather evidence of other people experiencing similar symptoms:

(exteme, my bike is not this bad yet)

Same guy as above:
Dude. Seriously. Stop this madness. I highly doubt you are going to get any traction by contacting Triumph corporate personnel.

It sounds like it is at a point where you are agitating the dealer and triumph to a point where they are now going to take great pleasure in dragging this out for as long as possible. I know its morally wrong and displays the incompetence of the dealer but that my friend is the way it generally is.

I know you might be feeling a little butt hurt and let down by triumph and that they have a moral obligation to set things straight but they don't and wont unfortunately.

in reality, the bike is outside of factory warranty and only loosely covered by a 3rd party warranty which probably isn't worth the paper it is written on.

I highly recommend going to pick up your bike from the dealer and following the advice given in this thread.

I guarantee that the collective knowledge of this forum is far greater than the mechanics at your dealership.

Earlier you mentioned that you are not mechanically minded. I also suggest that you get yourself a decent starter tool kit, a triumph service manual and learn.

#30 ·
Sorry buddy, I just can't do that.

I am documenting my situation on this forum not looking for sympathy, but making my situation publicly known.

I bought a warranty specifically so I did not have to concern myself with issues of this nature. (Not that, that should matter as this issue showed itself inside of the manufacturer's warranty period).

If at the end of the day, they act as you have stated. Then I will be forced to go down kicking, and screaming; while dragging Triumph and Triumph of Westchester's name through the mud.

I will literally sit outside Triumph of Westchester with my bike wrapped in caution tape, handing out lemons if it comes to it.
No worries mate, sounds like you've got it all under control. Post up the outcome when it comes. Cheers.

#31 ·
I just want to point something out. The 3rd party extended warranty is exactly that and the source of that warranty is completely up to the selling dealer. It is not factory backed. Hopefully the dealer you purchased the extended warranty from opted to use CNA National (best case) or Fidelity. Most ESP companies are practically scams and if they do cover something it will only be a percentage of the part cost and the shop won't get a bump over book time making them more likely to try and hurry through the job. (CNA and Fidelity both cover 1.25% over book labor time and pay full replacement cost of covered parts.). Feel free to PM me with your ESP company name and if I've dealt with them I can share my experiences. As for your issues with the bike, I know what we would do in the situation but I certainly can't speak for any others. Best of luck in your efforts.

#32 · (Edited)
I've had this problem on my 2015 Triumph Daytona 675. Low/weak idle. Bike would stall out of first - second gear, decelerating or accelerating. I took it a few times to the dealership and when I went for the last time they contacted Triumph and apparently it was a "ecu tune" that fixed it. Not sure what they actually did but ever since it HAS been fixed. The first time it was "adjustments" now a "ecu tune" I am under 4000 miles and the problem maybe aroused at 2500 miles and then around 3000. - For now it is fixed and hopefully wont come back. I lost faith in my dealership long time ago but not much I can do about that. I will say the problem is a huge one. If the bike cuts off in a turn or in a emergency..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.