Triumph 675 Forums banner

Optimal Racing fairings

10K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  TwoWheeledWonder 
#1 ·
I have browsed the forum about these fairings and still have a few questions. I appreciate any feedback.

1. Are these fairings designed to fit the 2008- windscreens or the 2009+ windscreens? And just to verify, other then the windscreens, the fairings should fit fine on all models?

2. What's the deal with the Supersport to Superbike tails? Why do you guys prefer one over the other? Seems like people favor the Superbike tails but I still don't understand why. Is it something beyond crash protection?

3. Any problems with fit?

4. Did your fairings come with any mounts, specifically the D rings?

5. What is that burning sensation in my pubic region?

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
I don't have them, but for #2, superbike tails tend to be preferred for track riding because they are less weight than having a separate seat, allow for more "feel," and like you mentioned, in the event of a crash, it's one less part to replace.

#3 ·
1. Designed to fit the 08 windscreen, but other than that will fit any year bike..

2.. I went with the supersport tail.. no real reason..

3. No problems with the fit, but you might want to look into reflective heat tape for the inside of the fairing (applies to all aftermarket fairings)

4. My package ordered directly from Optimal did not come with any fasteners or D-Rings.. I did buy some nylon washers to use under a few of the screws because the the fiberglass was to thin and the screws bottomed out before they tightened up on the fairing

5... Dude go to the doctor...

#4 ·
I remember sending back a mistakenly sent 09 windscreen since it did not fit, so yeah, the older windscreens. I had no personal issues with fitment. Have needed no heat resistant tape as I have plenty of clearance though they are a bit more tight to the radiator than my last set of bodywork.

I went with the superbike tail and chose the thinnest seat foam because I wanted to be more down in the bike. IMO the 675 seating position is a bit too perched up top.

#6 ·
I just received the full set from Optimal Racing for my 2010 D675, got it for like $400 shipped, but need some help about the fitment, what do i need to put the fairings on, what kind of fairing stay etc. New to the track and need some advice, and what kind of 06-08 windscreens do you guys recommend? thanks:bowdown::bowdown:

#10 ·
Those are the exact fasteners needed. You will need to drill 2-3 holes parallel along where the upper and lower fairings connect on both sides of the bike. I drilled 3 holes per side of the bike, but I've seen people only use two fastners per side. Since I had 6, I used all six.

(Make sure you have the fairings marked/matched up well before you drill the holes so that connecting the fasteners keeps your fairings together real snug and tidy. I rushed on the last hole and wound up with a minute amount of disconnect between upper and lower fairing)

Attachments

#11 ·
sorry to thread-jack and resurrect this. I just got a set of OR kit for my 08 daytona. I tried to fit it over the bike to get the drilling started but realized that my fairing stay is narrower than the OR upper fairing, almost 3/4 inch. Has anyone experienced this? Is my fairing stay bent?

#12 ·
unless you're bike has been down, it's probably the fairing. OR fairings are pretty decent for the price, but many have had fitment issues. i had to bend and tweak shit to get it to line up decent. i don't regret buying them though. they are just race fairings. i just don't understand paying twice the price for something that is considered expendable in a wreck.

anyway, try your best to line it up to at least mount the hardware to the bike. it may not look the greatest, but you do get what you pay for. if its ridiculously off, maybe contact the company you bought it from.

#13 ·
Hi 43%burnt. My bike has been lowsided. So I supposes that is the reason. I just don't remember a whole lot of visible damage to that area. Is the OEM fairing stay easy to bent back? Hmm...or is it time to get a new one. But yeah for the price the OR bodykit is perfect for me, I don't need anything more fancier.

#15 ·
It is cast, so it might snap if you get on it too hard. Here is how I fitted them to my R, as it was a bit off on my stay too.

Drill all the holes for the wind screen exactly where they have the dent.

Put all the rubbers for the wind screen in place

Press the body work in place (sans the rubber for the mirrors) over the wind screen, and start to put the screws in from the bottom up (you might/ most likely need longer 4MM screws from the ace hardware). It will be hard the first time, but it will all bend into place.

After you get it, then drill to two back on the motor to hold the whole thing in place.

It you still can't get it to fit, buy the Motorholder stay from TJ. It is only two screws, and super easy to deal with.

Good luck!

#16 ·
i don't think you can bend the stock fairing stay that easy. i rmember mine cracked after a lowside on my old bike. i ended up getting a vortex fairing stay for my track plastics. i would invest in one cuz they're pretty expensive. and the vortex fairing stay was alot lighter

#24 ·
OR uses the older style windscreen.. Have a set right now no fitment issues, or cleanrance for heat protection.

If anyone needs a windscreen that works for this bodywork, and does nott need perfection i have a spare.. cut you a deal.

#21 ·
Yes you need the 06-08 windscreen for any/all track plastics for the 675. None of them that I'm aware of use the 09-12 windscreen. There's also only one aftermarket fairing stay that I'm aware of, that comes in 2 different styles. The standard version that has holes for the mirrors, and a shorter race version that doesn't have holes for the mirrors. It has been sold under 2 names, "Moto D" or "Yoyodyne" but in the end they are the same stay made by the same company. I bought one for my bike, and the stock gauges fit just fine in it.

#29 ·
I have Optimals on my 09 r6. Didn't have any issues to speak of putting them on. That being said, you get what you pay for. The optimals are thicker and less flexible than some of the other brands out there so they tend to break in a crash instead of flex.
I have Hotbodies on my D675. They have been Crashed HARD once and lowsided once. The hard crash,the bike went air borne for 30+ feet slammed down on the left side but didn't break or tear any where. the lowside put a couple minor tears in the lower but was easily repaired by me.
The stock fairing stay is a cast piece and fairly brittle. Mine broke in the hard crash. I replaced it with a Motoholders stay from Yoyodyne. The Motoholders is much better because its made out of aluminum tubing. It will protect your gage panel a bit better too.+you can bend it back after a crash. (It's also cheaper and lighter than a stock piece)
The Superbike tail is beneficial because you lose a fair bit of weight high on the bike. I'll Be putting one on my 675 before the seaon begins along with a light weight battery,rear motoholders sub frame,and a Zard exhaust. I'm trying to get the bike under 340lbs.(363lbs now). I want my total package(bike and rider )to be under 480lbs. As I only weigh 135lbs ready to ride it's doable. My club doesn't have a middleweight GT class so 600s race against 1000s. LIGHT IS RIGHT!!!!

#33 ·
I can speak from first hand experience that it has held up pretty well on my racing buddies 675 after 2 crashes this season. One was a rather hard hit and far slide afterwards. It wore a hole in the corner of the tail section and some other rash but I was impressed there wasn't any major cracking. Held up way better than the Hot Bodies I have on my bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.