Triumph 675 Forums banner

Aftermarket TTX versus 675R TTX

8K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
How different is the TTX purchased from an authorized Ohlins dealer than the oem 675 R TTX shock?

#2 ·
If it were me, I would get the ttx offered by Dan Kyle, or other reputable dealer, for a couple of reasons.

1 He can valve it custom for you cost included.
2 I think you can get the remote hydraulic preload adjuster, vs the stock 675r collar adjusters.

3 Unless you find a used 675r ttx on ebay or other, it will be more expensive than Dan's TTX. I have seen used 675r ttx on ebay for around $1,000 usd I think.

Good luck,

Mark

#3 ·
There is one from a 675R on eBay now for $750.

I know in the Ducati world, the Ohlins forks that comes with the "S" models are not the same as the true Road and Track forks. I am not sure if Triumph does the same.

I may just save my money a little longer and spring for the TTX type 2 rather than buying a used one from the second hand market.

#4 ·
It's like a set of goodyear tires used as oem equipment vs the set you buy from your tire supplier. Same name and model, much different performance. Don't think for a second that the oem ohlins on the 675R have the precision of the ones you buy from ohlins vendor.

Nuno!

#5 ·
It's like a set of goodyear tires used as oem equipment vs the set you buy from your tire supplier. Same name and model, much different performance. Don't think for a second that the oem ohlins on the 675R have the precision of the ones you buy from ohlins vendor.

Nuno!
From what I have read here the stuff on the R is the same and wasn't dumbed down for the street. Is there any proof of this in either direction?

#6 ·
I just asked ohlins a little while ago this same question, and this is what I got back. I also asked the difference between the mk1 and mk2.

Hello Jeff. Thank you for your email.
The new Öhlins MKII shocks have different body tube material & piston & some other small upgrades to the design. These changes were implemented after gathering data from World SBK race testing, etc.
The rear shocks for the Daytona 675 are listed in the aftermarket Öhlins catalog as follows:
TR 889 2006-11 Triumph 675: TTX MKI: $1456.55, in stock
TR 039 2006-12 Triumph 675: TTX MKII: $1456.55, not in stock yet
The new Triumph 675R motorcycle will most likely use the 'TR 889' model. The only way to verify the fitment is by researching the serial number located at the top of the OEM shock. If you can get the serial number off the top of the shock we will check it out for you.
The TR 889 & TR 039 have a hydraulic preload adjuster system. If the OEM shock does not have a hydraulic preload adjuster installed we can add one. Typical cost: $478.12 + installation labor.
The TR 889 & TR 039 both have a separate ride-height adjustment at the bottom of the shock.
Please call or return email with any questions.
Thank you, Jerry
(828)692-4525 ext. 313

It looks like the 675r shock is the same as the mk1. But may not have the hydraulic preload adjuster.

#8 ·
The shock on the 675R doesn't have ride height adjustment either.:whistle: Still a lot of shock for the $$ though!:nod:

#16 · (Edited)
I dunno how much better or worse they are, but Jason DiSalvo broke the track record at Jennings (for stock production bikes), on a 675R. They must be pretty good. :D
good enough for me. :laugh:

Ive had two daytona's now and my R does ride and wear tires differently. The ride itself is noticeably rougher and my tires are wearing much more on the sides than before. my front is past the treadwear indicators on the sides and the rear is pretty close to the bottom of them (in half the amount of miles). the bikes may have had different tire compounds, i dont know. also, i found that i cornered better on the R, enough that i have to stand up a little to keep from hitting the slick white lines. ive had to relearn some lines on everyday roads and enter higher than normal or carry more speed so i dont tighten up too much.

#11 ·
An OEM Ohlins shock is not the same as a Factory Ohlins shock. They are produced by 3rd party manufacturers and are not officially recognized by Ohlins (according to my credible sources in the industry). Also, the OEM part numbers are not in the Ohlins database, from what I understand.

Now the "huge" savings starts to make sense.

DiSalvo is running Factory Ohlins.

Is the OEM stuff high quality? Sure. Perfomance Bikes (UK) - Nov '12 - just did a great story on compariing the base, 675R, 675R modified, and a ss spec 675. The results may surprise you.

#12 ·
An OEM Ohlins shock is not the same as a Factory Ohlins shock. They are produced by 3rd party manufacturers and are not officially recognized by Ohlins (according to my credible sources in the industry). Also, the OEM part numbers are not in the Ohlins database, from what I understand.

Now the "huge" savings starts to make sense.

DiSalvo is running Factory Ohlins.

Is the OEM stuff high quality? Sure. Perfomance Bikes (UK) - Nov '12 - just did a great story on compariing the base, 675R, 675R modified, and a ss spec 675. The results may surprise you.
SO they put ohlins on the R thats not recognized by ohlins???:whistle: So is it made by Ohlins? If not then what is it? If it is made by Ohlins then what do you mean Ohlins doesnt recognize it?

#13 ·
to me it almost means like,
triumph makes the daytona, but doesnt recognize any parts from it, doesnt make any sense..
so lets :beatdeadhorse5:
of course whatever suspension is used for race bikes isnt going to be used for a oem/street application, the price of the bike would be up by 1,000s. sure the kayaba stuff on the regular one is more than any street rider can handle, hell i cant ride nearly at the limit of my bike, but i guess that means that i have alot of room for improvement.
you think the blistien shocks from any z71 chevy truck oem are the same as the ultra super mega awesome ones right from bilstien? no, but do the people who drive the truck really care? i bet not. i bought my bike because it was the only daytona at the dealer i went to, i fell in love with the color and found it cool to have some 'upgraded' suspension.

wise man once said, this is why they make more then one flavor of ice cream.

end of my dumb rant.

#17 ·
Interesting reading. We had the first 2 675Rs in the UK and later I bought 2 TTX shocks off TAG Triumphs 675Rs. One of the TAG shocks had been stripped by K-Tech and they said its was a proper Ohlins shock and not a made under license in China one. Then they stripped our 2 TTX shocks down and shock their heads!

I have 2 TTX shocks coming up for sale soon.

#19 ·
Interesting reading. We had the first 2 675Rs in the UK and later I bought 2 TTX shocks off TAG Triumphs 675Rs. One of the TAG shocks had been stripped by K-Tech and they said its was a proper Ohlins shock and not a made under license in China one. Then they stripped our 2 TTX shocks down and shock their heads!

I have 2 TTX shocks coming up for sale soon.
I'm reading that as the two OE "Ohlins" shocks causing the head shaking, Si? My understanding is that the "Ohlins" on both the 675R and Speed Triple R are made under licence by third parties, not by Ohlins.

#18 · (Edited)
TR9080 is the model number for an oem TTX from a 675R. They do not have the same valving, adjustments, or adjust range. The TR889 was the aftermarket model at the time I was doing my research in 2011 (model numbers may have/probably changed since then). I talked with the guys at Kyle Racing and Dave Moss about this a lot before I purchased my Ohlins shock. The oem TTX is made by Ohlins, it's just a different model and not the same "quality" as the off-the-shelf units. Granted, unless you're an AMA or higher level rider, you're not going to really feel the difference. The oem TTX shock is way better than the standard KYB shocks on the non-R models. But unless you're going to get a sweet deal on an oem TTX, spend the couple hundred more on the aftermarket model. Think of it this way when buying a used shock: A smart guy changes the oil and other fluids on a used car after purchase because you never know how it was treated or when it was serviced last. Same goes for a used shock, and you'll spend 200-400 having it serviced. So unless you're getting a killer deal on a used shock, the price of the shock + servicing will put you up to or near the price of a new aftermarket one that's better to begin with.

Antirich knows they aren't the same because he decided to delay selling his TR602 when he learned from various questions, research, and pictures in his for sale thread that the oem TTX is not the same quality as an aftermarket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.