Triumph 675 Forums banner

Quality Machine Co.lightened OEM rotors

9K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  TriumphChris675 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got my OEM rotors back from Jim at Quality Machine Co. He cut the front and rear rotors in a wave pattern for me. Can't mount them up yet, my forks are out for upgrades. Turn around time was just over a week.

Rear Rotor
$77 plus shipping costs
Front Rotors
$87 each plus shipping costs
Tax Included
Shipping Rates
$12 for one
$15 for two
$20 for three
Total Cost was $271 including return shipping for all three rotors.

http://qualitymachineco.com/Form/Order Form.pdf
Print out the online form and pack up your rotors and send the rotors to:
Jimmy Chance
Quality Machine Co
600 W Lathrop Ave
Savannah, Ga 31415
912-232-5680 office
http://qualitymachineco.com/

See less See more
#5 ·
In theory one would think that losing rotor surface area would decrease braking performance. Therefore, being unsure about this matter I decided not to do my front rotors. Doing the rear is not as big a deal since you dont use the rear brake all that much anyway. I was more interested in weight savings. Losing 10-11 ounces of rotating mass is like removing 2-3 lbs of total weight off the bike. (Depending on what formula you use.)

Notes:

One thing I did hear about maching out rotors in this fashion is that it tends to increase brake pad wear. (not sure how true this is)

Also, these types of rotors are not legal for some forms of racing.
For instance, AMA does not allow you to manipulate the outside edge of the rotor surface, while CCS does. To be 100% sure always check your rule books.

#8 ·
Also, these types of rotors are not legal for some forms of racing.
For instance, AMA does not allow you to manipulate the outside edge of the rotor surface, while CCS does. To be 100% sure always check your rule books.
Depends on what class you are running.

CCS does not allow for changing/machining of front rotors in many classes which is why mine aren't done.

The ones posted here look great, though. I should send my rear to them.

#7 ·
I will post my findings after my next track day later this month. Since I have two sets of rotors, I can afford to play with these and revert back to OEM rotors if I need to. I would imagine that they can't be that much different than the aftermarket wave rotors out there at much less cost.

#9 ·
from an engineers perspective...

F=u*N, where...

u=friction coefficient between the pad & rotor, a function of both materials

N=Normal force, AKA the force pushing the rotor and pad surface together, caused by the caliper piston, reduced by any flex in the system

F=Force of friction, AKA the resultant braking force that slows the bike down

Looking at that equation, when the force applied by the caliper goes up, or the friction coefficient is increased, you get more braking force to slow you down.

The Normal force "N", may be substituted by: N=P/A

P=Pressure of the pad material on the rotor surface

A=Area of pad contacting rotor surface

Substituting terms the resulting equation can be written:

F=u*P/A

Reduce the area, the force of friction goes up, equating better stopping power. I think this is a gross oversimplification, I'm reluctant to fully believe in this w/o some hard testing data. What you can be sure of is that more heat per unit volume will end up into the rotor if more braking force "F" is achieved. You also have to have a sufficiently rigid and stiff fork/caliper mount to take advantage of additional braking force gains.

Also, when rotors get hot, they warp, misbehave, braking performance decreases, etc, etc.

In a track situation, the rotors will get used much more severely than your usual street situation. Barring the availability of any hard data, I would look at the SS rotors of the top team(s) that run in a series that allow complete rotor modification to determine the safe, useful, and appropriate level to modify your stock rotors.

But in the end, I think most of you guys would be better served putting your fat ass on a diet! :rofl:

#12 ·
Here are a couple of pics of the rotors mounted. Best I can do with no suspension on the bike.

#13 ·
Both look HAWT! Really like the cut of the rear!

#14 ·
looks great! but the front has a little too much cut away to be safe IMO, keep up updated

#15 · (Edited)
the rear is fine, it will work less than stock but you use it less making the loss negligable. the front is dangeous. you will eat pads and get less stoping ability for your troubles. these rotors are not your simple wave rotors, they actualy take meat out of the main pad contact patch. wave rotors work on the principle that the leading edg of the "petal" or "wave" is an added friction point. if this were true i think more companys/ teams would be using them. also if this were true it would mean(speculation) that the trailing edge of all the cuts in your rotor would be added friction points, thus making them work better.

#18 ·
Actually warping or insufficient braking would be the least of my worries. I'd be more worried about the heat stress on such thin spots cracking the rotor with the crack potentially wearing through the pad rapidly then catching on the metal backing causing a hard lock up.

I only say that because I've seen a cracked rotor on an old BMW do just that once.

#19 ·
Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on them during my first track day on them.

#20 · (Edited)
I got my forks back from GP Suspension and I also installed the Penske double shock. I also managed to get the following goodies installed as well. Giles chain tensioner, Yoyodyne slipper clutch, new Light Tech fuel cap, Vortex clip-ons, new grips, new carbon loraine brake pads, custom rotors, new NGK Iridium spark plugs and some decals to make it faster..

#21 ·
Looks good to me:thumbup:

#24 ·
The rotors worked just fine over the weekend. No complaints. Ran them at NJ Motorsports Lightning over the weekend. less initial bite than the OEM's but very compliant. I used new carbone loraine pads with them.

#28 ·
Yeah I did a track day on my rear. Braking feels fine, or at least there is no reduction in braking performance. But I'll tell you what. The rotor is eating the brake pads. Way more build up of brake dust than usuall. Did you notice this at all?

The loss in initial bite is more likely from the brake pads than the rotors. The Carbone Loraine's feel that way from my understanding. Still looks freaking good though.

#29 ·
After just one track day, it wasn't easy to tell if the rotor design will be eating the pads more quickly. It may, I just cannot say for sure yet.

#32 ·
Sure, spending $600 on a set of Galfer's.

#33 ·
Looks dangerous to me. One thing to take yourself out but on a road course you are also risking others lifes.
I once had a Performance Machine rotor crack on an old Top Gas dragbike. Once cracked they can blow apart once brake pressure is applied. A lot of engineering goes into these things, diameter, thickness, surface area, material type etc.
Kawasaki does it to sell bikes, if it were and advantage, everyone would have wavey rotors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.