Triumph 675 Forums banner

Independent Mirror Mounts (Street Triple R)

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  robindean 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: With the help of everyone below, I've successfully installed independent mirror mounts that provide a Y-axis adjustment that's completely separate from our preferred lever positions.

I've written a tutorial that's located here: https://www.theridingobsession.com/?p=15712

ORIGINAL ...

This is my first post! :)

So, my wife's Street Triple R is HEAVILY modified ... lowered plenty while still respecting the geometry as best as possible, shaved seat, handlebar risers, luggage system ... it's quite the custom bike and she loves it (as do I with my 2nd/stock seat).

One thing we've finding problematic is that the stock "dragon ear" mirrors (which again, we actually LIKE so we're intent on keeping them) mount directly into the control levers.

Let me shorten this intro up ...

When we adjust the lever positions, the mirrors forcibly end up in annoying locations. When we put the mirrors where we want them, the levers forcibly end up in annoying locations.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF a stock-mirror-compatible mount that simply clamps over the handlebars independently?

Seems such a simple thing and it will remedy the issue entirely.

See less See more
#4 ·
You might think about trying to bend the stalks a bit. There are plenty of stock mirrors sitting in garages and dealerships so finding replacements will be easy if it doesn't work. Indeed, if the parts from both an '08 fit, I believe I have a set.

#5 ·
@THEStorm - I'm not familiar enough with the Triumph catalog to know what other mirrors are out there. If you have a solid link, I'll do some window shopping.
@tp555 - 2016 ... brand spankin' new.
@Chirp - No bendy bendy. I'm not a fan of treating parts that way and what's more, this bike has multiple riders so it's more about the individual needs being independent of one another.

#6 ·
Looks like you want something like this:

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/universal-handlebar-mirror-clamp.html

One big annoyance with the stock mirrors on the newer bikes is the adjustment limitation. I rode a stock 2015 last year and it drove me nuts with how little I could adjust the stock mirrors to get a clear view.

You could also consider bar end mirrors which would eliminate any lever interference.

#7 ·
@beatle ... that is precisely what I'm after.

We already bought Triumph bar-end mirrors but they don't open up the view nearly as much as stock. I've not read too deep into the description of your link above but will soon. My concern is if #1 that clamp will fit our handlebars and #2 have the same threading as our mirrors.

If you've already accounted for that, say the word and I'll order. I'll do the legwork myself later today. :cool:

#9 ·
Hey all.

Parts just arrived and all is going well but ... are the ignition switch and bars notched?

I unscrewed the base (lower screw) of the ignition switch but not the top and it seems it doesn't want to turn or slide. I kept gentle just in case and thought to ask.

Bit of a block there with that so I might have to file off the notch. Booo! :cool:

#10 ·
Yes, there is a nub to locate the switch on the bars. Most people who adjust them or replace the bars will just grind off the nub. The switches are held in place by the screws. Some people wrap the bars with a layer or two of tape for extra insurance against the switches moving.

#11 ·
All,

I want to thank you for your help with this.
@beatle ... thanks for the link and notice on the plastic nub!
@tp555 ... I wouldn't have figured this out if I hadn't thought about your "flip/flop" parts advice.

I've written a tutorial on the matter, located here: https://www.theridingobsession.com/?p=15712

#12 ·
You work with what you have. See the vid for good view of my mirrors with extensions. These are stock '12 with 2 1/2" ext. Cam in helmet and you can see the view.I have a machine shop so I can make stuff like custom lowering link, 2 custom exhausts. I do harley stuff for local shop.

#13 ·
Nicely done!

I think the keywords to my own end goal was Y-axis adjustability that's independent of the levers. Could you machine an extension for the stock mirrors that is hinged, i.e. and movable elbow? If so, I'd be happy to do a writeup/review + sell them through the site.

Important note: because they have plastic stalks, the stock mirrors aren't "bendable" (another member suggested bending them to suit, which I would *never* prefer over a well designed adaptor).

#14 ·
In shop world you need a drawing for visual understanding of what you want. Then you figure out how hard or easy it is to make. If somebody makes something close that already exists use it. Mass production needs quantities to be cheap enough. I make prototypes for a lot of people. Send me a drawing or something.

#15 ·
One other thing that can be done, completely for looks, but you can replace the clamps on the clutch and brake with the ones from a Daytona 675 (around $10 per I believe). By doing this it removes the old mirror mount from the clamp and will look the same as your other clamp. It's only really worth it if you dislike the look of the mirror mounts facing down, I disliked having the extra nub when I was trying out some bar mirrors so I had picked up the clutch side (and a shorter bolt for the brake reservoir), but I have since gone back to the stock mirrors as I ended up preferring them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.