Triumph 675 Forums banner

How often do you ride?

5K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  Snakecrate 
#1 ·
First off, this is more targeted to those that do not ride everyday...

That being said, I bought my 675 with the hopes of getting to the track and working on my riding skills, but between a house remodel, work, and a two year old I just don't have as much seat time as I'd like and I have yet to make to the track. The other day I was feeling pretty down about it to the point of actually considering selling the bike because it bums me out to see it in the garage and not being able to ride it. I should add that I do have some time here and there, but when I have that down time I'm usually too exhausted to feel comfortable riding a motorcycle since I don't like riding if I'm not feeling 100% aware.

Anyway, I'm hoping there's others out there like me so I can stop stressing out about it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

#3 ·
I ride to work during the nicer months and when it's not a washout, so there's that. I don't go on scenic/fun rides as much as I did when I first started riding 4 years ago, but I do try to get to the track at least once a month during the season. Weather hasn't cooperated much this year so I've only been twice, but am hoping to break that streak in the next week or two. That all said, I'm single with no kids and my house is pretty well settled. Even if I were still married I think I would still ride to work and possibly get away now and then for a personal ride. It's important to take some time for yourself now and then, even if it's just an hour or two. However, for me there's nothing like a track day to recharge my batteries.

#5 ·
This is the second season I've had my bike, and I'm sitting at just under 1800 km's, not miles, and I bought my bike brand new.

I'm a fair weather rider, I try to get out once a week at least but that doesn't usually happen. It is a waste, but I bought the bike as a toy, and I too had dreams of going to the track, and it might be happening at the end of this month but even that's up in the air.

I can't take it to work as I need my car to haul computer equipment all over the city. I try not to feel too bad about it, I sometimes have the same thoughts as you, sell my bike, maybe get a ninja 300 or something for fun, but I really like the bike. I like tinkering with it, and when I do get out I have a blast.

On the plus side when I do need to sell it down the road or trade it in it will be worth a decent amount since it doesn't have a shit load of km's on it.

#8 ·
This is the second season I've had my bike, and I'm sitting at just under 1800 km's, not miles, and I bought my bike brand new.

I'm a fair weather rider, I try to get out once a week at least but that doesn't usually happen. It is a waste, but I bought the bike as a toy, and I too had dreams of going to the track, and it might be happening at the end of this month but even that's up in the air.

I can't take it to work as I need my car to haul computer equipment all over the city. I try not to feel too bad about it, I sometimes have the same thoughts as you, sell my bike, maybe get a ninja 300 or something for fun, but I really like the bike. I like tinkering with it, and when I do get out I have a blast.

On the plus side when I do need to sell it down the road or trade it in it will be worth a decent amount since it doesn't have a shit load of km's on it.
Ha! We're in the same boat. I'm an IT consultant and I'm also dropping the kid off at school in the morning. I jokingly tell my wife that I'm going to get an old bike with bags and a sidecar. I've been home for most of the day with perfect weather, but I need to be available if a client calls so a long ride is out. I'm definitely heading out this evening though. I don't get to ride much, but when I do I'm usually gone for about an hour. Plus, I live right at the foot of the mountains so I have a lot of twisty "b" roads around my place.

#6 ·
I don't have much time either, so I built a minibike to go race over the winter. Closer and cheaper than the bigger tracks.

Other than that, I try to do a few sport touring trips a year; only went twice in 2016 though.

Thankfully I ride to work 4 days a week, so I have no shortage of seat time :)

#10 ·
I'll ride to work every now and then. We get to dress down and wear jeans on Fridays so I'll ride on Fridays when it's nice. Other than that, I'll do group rides with my friends once or twice a month and then a solo joy ride every now and then. Usually end up putting about 7-8k miles a year on the bike. I'll ride through winter depending on how cold it gets.

#11 ·
Do a lot of you guys ride in regular street clothes? I made the decision to ride in my track gear when I ride the 675, but I'm thinking that if I can control myself I'd like to get some street gear. Today I hopped with just my regular clothes and went around the neighborhood. Tomorrow I'm going to suit up and take it for a nice long ride.

#15 ·
For commuting, 2-up rides, and joyrides it's ATGATT except for jeans instead of my leather pants. Group rides and faster-pace joyrides are ATGATT (2-piece leathers, track boots, track gloves).

I've ridden a mile or so down to a gas station a few times in just shorts, t-shirt street shoes and helmet. Always a weird feeling to the point it distracts me.

#12 ·
I wear jeans, a jacket, gloves, helmet, and usually motorcycle-specific boots, though sometimes I'll wear my Red Wings. Maybe I'd wear my suit, gauntlets, and race boots if I rode harder on the street, but most of the time on the street I'm just out for a scenic ride or commuting. The suit is too much to wear out with friends. :)

#13 ·
I wear everything except my leather pants. Everything except pants can be worn over my regular street clothes, except boots. If I'm going somewhere and need casual footwear I'll throw a pair of sneakers in my backpack.

#14 ·
When i lived in San Diego, i rode every single day haha(8,000 miles in less then a year). Now that i've moved back to San Antonio, TX, there are no twisty roads. so i very rarely ride(I have new pirelli rosso iii's and not trying to get a flat spot...), maybe about once every two weeks. my new job is physically exhausting as i work from 11pm-9am so i cant risk riding while tired. Though on the few days i ride i have all my gear on (jacket, boots, gloves, helmet) and will go for a 1-2hour ride. Looking forward to my track day on the 28th at Circuit of the Americas though as i can throw on my full set of leathers again and finally let loose on some twisties. Since i cant ride on the roads here i figured i'll do a track day every other month for aslong as i can, being single throwing money into that is no issue :p.

#19 ·
I know that feeling. I won't get on the bike if I'm tired. I really don't enjoy riding if I'm not feeling 100%.

For commuting, 2-up rides, and joyrides it's ATGATT except for jeans instead of my leather pants. Group rides and faster-pace joyrides are ATGATT (2-piece leathers, track boots, track gloves).

I've ridden a mile or so down to a gas station a few times in just shorts, t-shirt street shoes and helmet. Always a weird feeling to the point it distracts me.
I rode around my neighborhood in my jeans, sweatshirt, and no helmet the other night... That felt really strange. My dad tells me stories of riding to the beach in California, and racing around with his friends, in shorts and flip-flops with no shirt. I had one low side on the street with all of my gear on and if I hadn't I would have been in the hospital for sure... It's scary to me to ride in anything less. I have a friend who is a Harley guy and he went down in the same area as I did the week before and almost tore his toe off. He rides in Vans shoes.

#18 ·
I hear you man. I'm married with 2 kids and work 24hr on/off so my off days are usually spent with the family. But I try for at least 1-2 ride days a month where my buddies and I ride north in Okinawa for about 4-5 hours. I commute to work too if the sun is out but that's about a mile there and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I tend to average 4-5k annually. This year will be less due to work. Previous job I would commute a couple times each week, weather permitting... 60 miles round-trip and could take back roads. Current job is only 20 miles round-trip and mostly red lights and suburbia so I tend not to ride. Beyond that, an occasional night-out with friends, bike night here and there, and a monthly long (150-400 miles) and spirited venture with the group I ride with, though I've missed most of them this year due to work/travel. Taking a look at doing more track days. (Did 1 this year and 1 last year.)

I always ride with my leather jacket, helmet, gloves and riding shoes. My brother crashed while squiding on his R6 and I clipped a deer before so I've seen first hand what can happen. Like many others, my lower body protection changes depending on the ride... Kevlar jeans for short rides, overpants for my dress pants when commuting to work, 2 piece suit for the track. Spirited rides I usually end up with the overpants over jeans. It's a bulky setup that I don't care for, but my leather pants get uncomfortable after a half hour and my knees start to go numb after an hour. (They're too short and I'm tall and skinny.) They do the job for 20 minute track sessions, but I will probably look into something custom-made over the winter.

Still trying to figure out a way to retire in my 30s :grin2:

#21 ·
Every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. In Texas we get a lot of hot (last 11 days have all been at/over 100) but we get some cold as well--I have seen and ridden in 21 degrees as well.

If I wake up to snow (that is actually sticking) or ice, that is where I draw the line. But I've been caught out at work twice in the last three years and had to ride home in snow (once) and ice (once). No fun at all.

The 675 is a recent addition, so I have only ridden it in 100 degree heat so far, but rain is forecast next week... :)

#22 ·
I finally got away this morning for a nice long ride (80-ish miles). The last stretch was all highway so I was in 6th the entire time. I went to downshift at my exit and........ No shifter. I have no idea of where it went or how it happened, but it was an interesting feeling tapping my toe down into emptiness.

#23 ·
Saturdays and Sundays if possible. Usually anyway from 100-200 miles a day. For the most part around 6000 miles a year.

However now that I started doing track days, street riding is kind of dull so I haven't been riding as often as I normally do.

---------------------------------

2014 Triumph Daytona 675R 2/22/14 - 8/22/15

2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR 8/29/15 - ???

2006 Honda CBR 600RR Track Only 1/02/16 - ???

#24 ·
Last year I put about 8k miles on a bike in about 4 months. Got a new job at the start of the new year where I fly out Mondays and fly back in Fridays so I've only done about a thousand miles a month this year. I try to get out for at least a hundred miles every other weekend though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I'm in a similar situation. I have a 3 and 7 years old and my house is a never ending project. Not to mention I live in new England so you never know how the weather will turn. I work an hour away so most of my riding is commuting to work. Morning traffic can be a drag but going home there are a few nice backroads. As far as fun weekend rides, I'm lucky if I get out once a month. Lol

#26 ·
I don't get to ride nearly as much as I like. I used to do 6 to 10 track days a year plus a few thousand street miles. Like so many have said life starts getting in the way but I don't think I could ever sell my bike. Even if I ride once a year I know it will be such a thrill I cant ever let that go. I hope to start doing some more touring and maybe visit some places I've never seen by bike. Motorcycling is an adventure. there are so many ways to do it. There is no right or wrong way. Just enjoy when you can.

#29 ·
I ride about 8k miles per year. Just got into track days this season, but should have seven under my belt before winter hits.

I'm usually ATGATT, with the street getup being riding shoes, riding kevlar jeans, perf leather jacket, gloves, and helmet. It can get real humid up here in MD, but even if I come home sweating like a pig I think it's worth wearing the gear. I also have a wind/weatherproof mid layer for the cold and rainy days.

Winter riding is usually a few times a week as long as it's dry and above ~30F. Having windproof gear does wonders for extending your season.

#30 ·
I don't get to take out the Daytona as much as I've been wanting as well. Full-time work and now going back to college to get my MBA has been taking a lot of my time too... I get to take it out every other weekend for an hour or so around 60 miles quick ride... It has also crossed my mind to sell mine since it's sad to see it sitting on stands, and MBA is pricey too :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.