Triumph 675 Forums banner

Best Oil Filter?

20K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  slimchef675 
#1 ·
What is the best oil filter in your opinion and why? I have been using K&N but I have heard some very mixed opinions towards the brand.

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm expecting some mixed feedback. Just looking for some supporting evidence towards a certain brand or reassurance. Definitely like the fact you haven't had any issues in 5 years, but I also vaguely recall reading somewhere that K&N switched their manufacturer recently and people noticed a decline in quality. Have not fact checked this however.

#5 ·
There are a lot of opinions. Most of them are just as good as the others. There are some bad ones though like FRAM but I don't think they even make filters for bikes. I use K&N for the bolt on the end but it is made by the same people that make the Mobil 1 filter and is identical according to some people that know more than I do. Here is a study I read a while back that tested some different brands, but it was for car filters. I would guess the quality stays the same across to the motorcycle side of things.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html#avoid

#6 ·
I use K&N for the bolt on the end...
that's pretty much exactly why i use and recommend them

my service department is adamant on OEM EVERYTHING. but it's annoying that oem filters need a particular sized oil filter cap-wrench thing, right? or a goofy 'universal' band-tool?

the techs have said that the nut on the K&N filters have popped off on them before. but maybe that's related to the manufacturer?

also, i've personally witnessed a bad K&N filter that leaked immediately after installation.

that said, i pretty much use only K&N oil filters when available

#10 ·
K&N had a huge rash of filters cracking across the face where the nut is tacked to them. So many in fact that they have been banned in nearly all racing series in the USA.

OEM is the only way to go and the only company that will stand behind a failure.
+2. Which sucks because I really liked the nut drilled for safety wire.

#12 ·
I can't readily get oem so I use mobil m1-108; can't use the nut kinds cause it wouldn't fit due to header clearance.

#33 ·
I will use the same as what I used on my CBR, K&N KN-204. Has the 17mm nut for easy removal too.

They're about $23 here locally at most auto stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.