Triumph 675 Forums banner

any tall riders like the Daytona 675 ?

7K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  ohemgeeitsNick 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am a tall rider 6' 5" that commutes. I have a tall bike mostly because I thought I needed a big bike with my 36" in seam. But, after test riding a BMW S1000 and riding a 800cc loaner bike for two weeks, I realized I can ride a smaller bike. Also, it seems the smaller bikes are more fun. So rather than the BMW S1000, I think the Daytona 675 with ABS would make a great second bike for commuting. Any tall riders on the Daytona 675 here ?

I ride about 15K-20K miles a year mostly as a result of commuting. This year I did some touring so, I have over 20K.

I have yet to test ride the Daytona but hope to Tuesday.

#2 ·
6 foot 4 here and I fit well on the 2013 675R. I use it mostly for track days and canyon runs. I don't like to commute on it in stop and go traffic. A Street Triple or Street Triple R are much better commuting machines through dense urban traffic. The Ohlins suspension on the R models are very good at hauling around our over 200 lb (90-100 kgs) bodies. I did have to re-spring the front forks to a 1.0 kg/mm spring rate for my body weight.

#3 ·
I'm 193cm (or 6'4" in American) and I like my '06 Daytona. It's not a big bike and the pegs are on the high side (was kinda shocked when I parked next to a GSXR1000 the other day) but it has a longish tank and the fairings (at least the early bikes) are arranged so that we longer legged folk don't crush them with our knees when thigh-gripping the tank (kinda a critical consideration if you want to ride a sportsbike a) as it was intended or b) for any great length of time). Even my old Ducati, a bigger and especially longer bike, wouldn't let me do that.

I can only second that a STriple probably makes the better commuter bike, but I've been commuting an hour each way through Sydney traffic (62 traffic lights, 9 roundabouts, 11 school zones, 11 speed cameras, extremely poor road surface) every day the past few weeks and it's fine. Not for the faint of wrist, mind, but the bike's a fun enough ride anyway to make it worth it. And I am still recovering from a scaphoid fracture so it might not even be that bad :)

#4 ·
I have had quite a few tall stranger complement my bike, and several want to sit on it for a try, but when I am out riding all the other owners I meet are 5' and a half guys like me. :grin:

#7 ·
I'm 6'3 and commuted for a month on mine ('08 Daytona) with the stock clip-ons while I was fixing my Striple R - wasn't really a big deal, but the Striple is definitely the better commuter.

Frankly, the biggest issue I had was trying to use the stock mirrors on the Daytona (have bar end mirrors on my Striple that make life much easier if you're a larger gentleman).

#9 ·
I'm 6' 3" and run mine as a track day bike with rearsets and clip ons with no issues. It's not a big bike by any means but also no problem to get tucked in behind the fairing. My hip joints get a bit sore toward the end of the day but I'd say that's more to do with the rearsets than anything else in the geometry. Stock pegs should be no worries.

#11 ·
6'4" 180lb rider

2009 D675 stock seemed fine at 1st because it was my 1st bike. The seat seemed a bit high and narrow compared to 1st Gen Kawasaki 636 & an 05 GSXR 750 I have previously rode. Overall it seemed like a good fit until I got faster. The rearsets were too high to comfortably keep my feet on the pegs when coming hard out of turns. And the stock clip ons where to low and close together for my liking making it hard for me to adjust my lines while in a turn.

Now on my 2012 675R w/ aftermarket rearsets it is soooo much better. Even people say this bike looks like it fits me more than my previous. I don't look as crammed. I have ridden 5hrs 2up on this bike and that is my max, 3 - 4hrs was my max on the 09 D675 by myself. The 09 was my test bike so she was ridden hard, the 12 D675R is my dream bike so Im more relaxed and chill with her.

With that being said I would get a Gel seat, heavier bar ends, and thicker grips for this bike.

#14 ·
I'm 5'11" (not tall, just average) and I can't believe that all you tall guys are ok with the Daytona! The bike seems like a paradox to me - if I were any shorter, it would be hard to reach the ground to be able to stand or back up on the bike, but also if I were any taller, it would suck to ride with my feet on the pegs because the pegs are kind of high so the leg room is rather small (even for an average height guy like me).

My usual comment that I make - I did not buy this bike with comfort in mind, I bought it with "fun" in mind, so I am happy to live through some discomfort just to be able to ride it. Even with cramped leg space, it's not an issue for me to commute on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.