Triumph 675 Forums banner

R/R Recall

10K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  Ruby Racing 
#1 ·
Got a call yesterday from my local dealer (this is in NZ by the way) saying there is a recall on the R/R. She told me it was for the "latest" model but since mine is a 2010 I know it's at least that and not the previous model.

Any other countries had a recall for them yet? She said there was a shit load that have to order and it's obviously a big deal if they're calling everyone.

#7 ·
I bet the Aussie Triumph dealers aren't going to honour this, even if literally every other country in the world does. I only chased them about this a few months ago and even with years of anecdotal evidence and USA dealers already doing free replacements, they were a brick wall.

#8 ·
Does this apply to the Street Triple too? IF so, how far back. I have a 2009. It's still under warranty till October (it sat on the showroom a long time before it sold)
Mine is 3970XX so I assume I am out.

#13 ·
I was wondering this as well. When I got off the phone after the dealer called I thought I should have asked.

If they use the same R/R then I would have thought they would. Give your dealer a call and give it a crack.

haha thats one of the lovely things about Aus. "We live on a island and your jurisdiction does not not apply here" haha
You live on an island!??! :grin:

Triumph NZ have had a bit of a mixed bag with regards to warranty repairs so it's interesting they're being so proactive with this.

is there a number to this bulletin so i can ask the dealer about it?
Personally I have no info at all since they rung me. The only "specifics" I got was that it was the "lastest" models.

#14 ·
This is the information MacBandit posted on another thread, so as it's him I'm confident it's 100% accurate:

Hmm well Triumph has had an on going good will replacement policy here in the USA but I just checked and in the last week since I checked last they have released new Service Bulletins mandating replacement for R/R units for the following vins and models.

All Daytonas up to vin# 381274 includes a new wire/hose guide
Daytonas 381275 to 459504

All Street Triples up to vin# 354281 includes a new wire/hose guide
Street Triples VIN 354282 to 456776

So there is something new and it's not a goodwill it's an across the board replacement failed or not for all affected vins.

END QUOTE

Triumph are supplying a completely different unit, it's now a MOSFET one. I got the official Triumph R/R two years ago (had to pay for it then!) and it has been working fine ever since. On the Daytona it is supplied with a new mount bracket which moves the R/R further away from the engine and acts as a heat sink. On the early models it is still mounted near the shock.

#17 ·
and I just replaced mine to :laugh: oh well it was dead and it's an hour and a half to my local dealer, so I would have spent just as much to get to the dealer as I did to get my new R/R LOL

#16 ·
mine failed on my the day before a motorcycle trip two weeks ago. I ordered from TJ and it came quick but still missed my trip. I called my dealership (ugghh), they said i need to leave the bike with them and won't order the part until they see the bike. It must stay with them until the part comes in. What a waste.
I guess I will wait until winter time and sell the R/R they put on the bike.

#18 ·
Question for McBandit:

For those of us that have the replaced the original shunt-style R/R's, can we mail them to Triumph for an exchange of the mosfet unit? (The unit on mine that failed was a Triumph mosfet unit I purchased on my own a year ago - I still have the original unit). I think, with the history of these, it would be really nice to have a spare, lol.

#20 ·
Emailed my sales guy at the Triumph dealership (dude is awesome, i email him, he sets up appointments for me, calls me when stuff is ready, bike is rarely at the dealership for longer than a few hours)

his reply
Hey R, yes there is a recall on your rectifier. I will order 1 up and call you when it comes in.
I have a 2011 D675 bought in Oct of 2010...

#21 ·
Anyone know- if you have the R/R in the right fairing, are those all the new-style MOSFET ones? I've got a 2011 with the R/R up front but my VIN is in the affected range. Don't want to go through the hassle of contacting dealer, arranging a service visit, etc., just to have it replaced with an identical item.

#25 ·
A bump to bring this back to the top for those that don't know yet.

Just because the R/R is up front doesn't mean its good. It's still the crappy style R/R relocated to a different spot. I have a 2007, 2010, and 2011 that were ALL under the recall. Found out while the 2010 was in for some other warranty work.

Question for McBandit:

For those of us that have the replaced the original shunt-style R/R's, can we mail them to Triumph for an exchange of the mosfet unit? (The unit on mine that failed was a Triumph mosfet unit I purchased on my own a year ago - I still have the original unit). I think, with the history of these, it would be really nice to have a spare, lol.
At some point they will want your bike in for the recall. My dealer was nice enough to order 3 of them and said I can bring the other 2 bikes in when they show up. I asked if I could just drop off the R/R for my 2007 (I have a spare...) but they said it needed to come in.

#23 ·
My dealership looked up my VIN (2011 675R) and said there was no outstanding recall for my bike. I haven't been able to find anything concrete yet regarding a recall, even on the Triumph website. I'll take the wait and see approach.

~Ex

#24 · (Edited)
My R/R replacement came in (took about 3 weeks from when they ordered it for me), so I took the bike in today and dropped it off...

Here is pictures of the new R/R... it also has a bracket that goes with it... it's bigger than the stock one... not sure what type it is, it came in a Triumph bag, but didn't have any labels on it...

They could've installed it for me in about 30 minutes, but I had some warranty stuff that I wanted looked into, so I left the bike there... they gave me a BMW R1200R as a loaner bike :cool2:

I have a 2011 D675 fyi...

BMW R1200R loaner

#34 ·
My R/R replacement came in (took about 3 weeks from when they ordered it for me), so I took the bike in today and dropped it off...

Here is pictures of the new R/R... it also has a bracket that goes with it... it's bigger than the stock one... not sure what type it is, it came in a Triumph bag, but didn't have any labels on it...

I have a 2011 D675 fyi...

Yup, that looks like the old one to me too.

#27 ·
That was my thought, too. My understanding is that the older SCR type R/R's have model #s starting with "SH"; MOSFET are "FH###".

It's be sad, but funny if your dealer just gave you another old SCR R/R :duh:

If that's the case, I think I'll skip the "recall" and stick with my FH010 that I installed.

#36 ·
Just got my 2010 back from the dealership yesterday and they put the same one on that you got. I questioned them about it and they assured me this was the one going on all the 2009+. I also compared the new and old side by side and they are different.

The one Neanderthal posted a pic of looks like its on a 2006-08 bike where it mounts behind the shock. I'll find out soon, they ordered one in for my 2007 track bike and that will be getting replaced soon.

#39 ·
:whistle:

This is the information MacBandit posted on another thread, so as it's him I'm confident it's 100% accurate:

Hmm well Triumph has had an on going good will replacement policy here in the USA but I just checked and in the last week since I checked last they have released new Service Bulletins mandating replacement for R/R units for the following vins and models.

All Daytonas up to vin# 381274 includes a new wire/hose guide
Daytonas 381275 to 459504

All Street Triples up to vin# 354281 includes a new wire/hose guide
Street Triples VIN 354282 to 456776

So there is something new and it's not a goodwill it's an across the board replacement failed or not for all affected vins.

END QUOTE

Triumph are supplying a completely different unit, it's now a MOSFET one. I got the official Triumph R/R two years ago (had to pay for it then!) and it has been working fine ever since. On the Daytona it is supplied with a new mount bracket which moves the R/R further away from the engine and acts as a heat sink. On the early models it is still mounted near the shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.