Triumph 675 Forums banner

Whelp, got myself a banged up 675R to turn into a track bike

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  b_palmer22 
#1 ·
Hey guys!!! Its been a while. I got heavily into the track last year starting on my Street Triple R that I put daytona cams in. Not wanting to totally destroy that bike if I wreck it, I was offered a trade for a 09 R1 that I couldn't turn down. Rode that almost all season this year and decided it was time to find a Daytona. The R1 was big, and I was actually slower than on my Street. I've been trying to trade the R1, or look for a decent deal on a 12 and below bike to track. then...

Annnd here we go, a friend that I met at the track told me he had a 13 D675R that was looped and was sitting in his garage. Clean title(was never reported to insurance), 2500 miles. Went over to take a look at it and assessed the damage. It was literally on jack stands, just a frame, motor, swinger, and triple clamps. He did have all the parts from the bike, and labeled bags with hardware(win)
It needs:
a front wheel
subframe(cracked)
faring stay
left upper fork tube was dented
a gauge cluster
new plastic(tank had the usual dent on the left from the wreck)
Front subframe
Rad is dented on the tank and leaking
Rear Sets

Long story short, I brought it home yesterday. Now I've got a wrecked D675R and multiple boxes of parts. I offered him $2000 and he agreed. I couldnt be more happy. I've been lusting after one of these for a while now, and extatic to have it!! Ebay'd the front wheel, and gauge cluster. Probably going to go with a Moto Holders for the front subframe. I'd like to do the same with the rear, but they're expensive. I'll probably just ebay one.
Picked up some 2nd hand armorbodies farings. I'm going to try JBweld on the rad and see if it holds.

I was really stressing about the front forks, because that would be the most expensive repair. I noticed Triumph offers the upper tube for a low low price of $800. Contacted Ohlins and its only 300 dollars through them. Used a truing stand and a dial gauge and the lower tubes were still true. So the forks are apart, once thats done I can start on the rest of the build.

How It was when I picked it up

Current state

New home!!

See less See more
Reactions: RealRecognizeReal
#2 ·
#4 ·
What do you guys think about this? The crack goes all the way through, but its still got a lot of structural rigidity. I couldnt bend it any more to save my life. I've been eyeing up ebay ones and they run between 200-350. My only concern that that if I wreck again which is sure to happen it could cause more damage if it snaps.

#6 ·
I would look into having that welded. As a subframe it's just supporting your weight and the various components under the seat. See if you can find a race shop through the track group you go out with. They should have some experience in this area. Also, post this question in the Track Days section.

#7 ·
FYI - I don't know how much straightening and welding the sub frame will cost but you can get a gull 675R subframe for around $200 on ebay right now. It might be even cheaper if you don't need it to be bling bling red. :grin:
I have also seen sub frames being sold by left and right pieces separately. That might save you a few dollars if you go that route.

#9 ·
Damnit, Grabbed one off Ebay for 175. Still need a Rad, and faring stay. I'd like to go moto masters, but If i can find a stocker cheap enough I'll go that route. Thinking about picking up a bazzaz since Tune ECU is locked on the new bikes. If you remove the stock o2, and delete the Exhaust butterfly will it pull codes?

#10 ·
Also, I've got access to the actual Triumph Dealer tool. My Tune ECU cable doesnt work, any idea of a part number or do you have to buy the whole shebang?

#12 ·
Thanks for the head up. Message sent. Can you get rid of exhaust valve lights with the pcv?

#16 ·
The new Ohlins upper fork tube came in without bushings. Anyone got any tips for removing the upper bushing? Does it come out through the top or bottom?

#18 ·
Should be able to make some real progress today, I was waiting on the replacement subframe to come in so I could start bolting everything up. Almost everything is here, minus the Rad & Front faring stay TJ sold me. That should be in tomorrow.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I still need to get the forks back together, install the SAS block off, mount the front tire on the new rim, and figure out where the hell the ten thousand bolts go on the rear subframe. Thankfully I had a set of Renthal 50MM clip ons on my R1 track bike, so I stole those to slap on this bike.

If anyone has pics of the bike with no farings on that would be of great help. The more detailed the better.

#19 ·
You're in luck. My bike is still apart from my last track day. What do you need pictures of?

I also may have something you may be interested in. If you go the route of relocating the R/R to the rear subframe (using the race bracket) without using the Race harness and Race ECU, you need to extend one of the harness to reach back there. I made a few extra harnesses since I had to order a minimum amount of connecters/plugs from Eastern Beaver. PM me for more info.

#20 ·
Thanks!! Pics of everything please, just some general pics of the sides of the bike, as well as the subframe from above, so I can figure out the wiring routing and where everything belongs.

I'm making progress on getting the under seat tray in, But its slow going not knowing where everything goes. You can text me the pics at 3016092015 if it makes it easier.

#21 ·
Anyone got a used set of rearsets laying around? Even just the LS footpeg would be fine.

#24 ·
Todays progress, I've been bouncing between the 675 and a KTM 525 EXC Supermoto I'm getting ready to sell. Sooo the 675, subframe on, tail on, tank on, everything hooked back up.

I was hoping to get the L/S fork back together today. However upon discovering that the new Ohlins Fork tube had no bushings in it, I started pulling the seals out of the new tube so I could install the bushings out of the old tube. I banged the oil seal up good trying to get it out. Gotta run to the dealer tomorrow to grab one.

Pulled the old rad out in preparation for the one that TJ sent me that should arrive tomorrow. The Moto Holders Faring stay will be here as well. As soon as the fork is done, I can slap on the front end and have a roller!

Excuse the mess, theres boxes and tools everywhere...

Old fork tube. The Upper triple caused the damage.

Damnit...

Yeahhhhh that rad is definitely garbage.

#28 ·
Todays progress, I've been bouncing between the 675 and a KTM 525 EXC Supermoto I'm getting ready to sell. Sooo the 675, subframe on, tail on, tank on, everything hooked back up.

I was hoping to get the L/S fork back together today. However upon discovering that the new Ohlins Fork tube had no bushings in it, I started pulling the seals out of the new tube so I could install the bushings out of the old tube. I banged the oil seal up good trying to get it out. Gotta run to the dealer tomorrow to grab one.

Pulled the old rad out in preparation for the one that TJ sent me that should arrive tomorrow. The Moto Holders Faring stay will be here as well. As soon as the fork is done, I can slap on the front end and have a roller!
Great progress so far! Pics coming later today. :thumbup:

Holy Jesus I wish I had known this a month ago.

I had to move mine when switching to sharkskinz and made my own. I didn't mind that as much, but had a hell of a time getting the parts from eastern beaver.

Not their fault, but I ended up having to order (and pay) twice and delay my project a month!
We could have helped each other out!! Yeah, the minimum order sucks but everything came out well. I decided to just make a few extras since I have so many extra connectors, wires, and heat shrink tubing left over.

#27 ·
Nope, guy let a buddy ride it on the street.

#29 ·
Almost everything buttoned up today. Forks went back together and everything else bolted up. Gotta figure out where the hell the stock R/R goes. Finally fired the bike and everything is good. Still need to re run all the cables and bleed all the brakes.

Reactions: Shamrock
#30 ·
Awesome progress, man - could I ask one favor? Do you mind publishing your address so I can steal your entire garage? Thanks in advance.

BTW, you could list your rad as "like new" compared to what I pulled off my track bike (excuse the blurry photo, I was a little banged up taking it).

Attachments

#31 ·
Awesome progress, man - could I ask one favor? Do you mind publishing your address so I can steal your entire garage? Thanks in advance.
That is a nice collection! Always loved the Ape SXV5.5, but after owning two discontinued bikes I decided to goto a more safer route.

That rad looks insane, lol. How did you manage to do that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.