Triumph 675 Forums banner

Bi-Xenon, Angel Eye Turn Signals

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Stew717 
#1 · (Edited)
First post here since I picked up my 675 about a month ago, but I've been lurking for a while as a guest. I left the bike as stock as I got for about...2 weekends. First thing I noticed was the awful (IMO) performance of the stock headlights.

So when Retrofit Source had their 4th of July sale, I picked up the BiXenon Mini H1 Stage 3 kit. That includes the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 Projectors, Mini X5-R shrouds (that come with the angel eyes), 35w ballasts and computers, 4500k bulbs. I also picked up the HD H7 relay as well. I had some splitters laying around from other projects that I used for high beam splitters, but you will likely need to get or make some to trigger the solenoids.

Removing the lens turned out to be a massive PITA compared to car retrofits I've done, despite baking it multiple times and being very generous with the heat gun, it just refused to cooperate without prying it out. I'll likely pick up another headlight down the road to do this to again and try a few different things.

The shrouds I went with had the large semi square angel eyes, similar to what's on the 4 series BMW. I figured it'd look very good with a slight angle to it, however hadn't anticipated just how big they were, so ended up having to mount them square just for fitment reasons. Reusing the stock shroud would likely work fine, and I'm sure some of the other ones that they offer would likely still fit very well, these just ended up being bigger than anticipated. One though I would do differently if I did it again would be to slot the upper portion of the shroud to fit the wires for the angel eyes through, the original location on the lower side leaves that unlit portion visible when using the blinker. If flipped, it would be hidden once installed.

I didn't take any pictures of the brackets, but basically just used a dremel to trim the inner area out to fit the projectors, then epoxied the shrouds to the stock bracket. I work as a service tech for a CNC company, so I could've cut new ones out of aluminum or HDPE, but just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Kwikweld epoxy worked well enough to hold the shroud to the bracket for now. If it fails down the road, I'll likely just ahead and make a custom bracket for it.

Fitting these big ass shrouds did require trimming the inner plastics a bit. I considered going without them, however I just didn't like the way it looked, too much open space. By painting the plastics and shrouds all the same matte black, it looks like it belongs together and fills the insides of the housing very well. I contemplated doing a phantom black paint job to match the bike, however glossy paints show imperfections, and I just wasn't going to spend hours working with bondo and such to try to make this look perfect.

I ended up running the wires for the angel eyes out through the small cavity that the bulbs in the corners went through, I then spliced the wires into the headlight and turn signal harnesses such that they were white for normal operation, but flashed orange when using the turn signals. Combined with the Watsen flush mounts I put on, very happy with the visibility of turn signals, even in daylight as well as the aesthetics of it.

I did have to adjust the beams a bit (not pictured after that was done) but since I reused the stock bracket, easy to do.

I travel for work so I'll try to get some more (and better) finished pictures this weekend when I get back home. I was doing a ton of projects for the bike at once when doing this, so didn't spend much time playing photographer.

Attachments

See less See more
1 8
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.