Triumph 675 Forums banner

Riding Position

14K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  chida 
#1 ·
The other day, I had to pick up food with no bag and found myself completely pressed up against the tank of my '13 D675R (explaining to wife that Indian food pickups on the bike are not my favorite activity doesn't work). I've always thought it pretty bad form to sit straight up on the tank, and I'm 6'1, certainly not the shortest guy the bike was designed for. I was really surprised how much the bike seemed to like being ridden from that far forward, and in NYC traffic, my wrists were very thankful.

I am not a new rider by any stretch, but have never tried riding that far forward. Just wondering if anyone else sits super far forward and if the Daytona's geometry favors that for some odd reason. I'm not looking to change my track habits, but making the Daytona a more comfortable commuter would't be an awful thing.

#2 ·
I change my body position and poster ever few miles. And most of my rides are 200-500 miles in a day.
I am also 6'1" and for the track I was at least a fist distance from the tank if not full tuck all day.
For communiting, I ride it more like a sport tourer. ( think pic of someone on a gs. It vstrom) having long reach helps out. I keep my back mostly upright and head high. Never really get sore.

#3 ·
This isn't going to help, but since I was just thinking about this same thing I thought I'd chime in. I'm 5'8 and find myself reaching for the bars which makes longer rides pretty uncomfortable. I took the seat off to see if the lower sitting position helped at all and I was instantly in love with being more "Planted" in the bike instead of feeling like I'm hovering over it. Now I'm on a shorter seat and have even toyed with the idea of getting a set of raised bars. For aggressive riding the bike in stock form wants to plant me over the tank in a full tuck, but for around town, or riding through the hills, it doesn't have me in the best position.

#5 ·
Been thinking about this recently, have always preferred sitting close to the tank as I feel like I have better control, did it on my last bike as well, thing is, 675s suspension is much firmer than last bike, leading to fairly battered... urrmmm... man bits... during city riding. Have been playing with position, find close to tank good for city (besides rough road/speed bumps) but much more comfortable a few inches back on faster roads. Just can't get used to being further back for tight turns etc. I'm 6'.

#8 ·
I sit right up to the tank. And comming from a sport tourer I try to resemble that position as much as possible. I'll be changing my handlebar to the omni bar 1 inch risers within the next few weeks to get a more upright position.

I only go further back when m bottom gets retired as there's more padding in the mid to back section compared to the front.

#9 ·
Regarding the dynamics of body positioning, footpeg position is surprisingly important. If you're looking for more comfortable ride around town try experimenting with adjustable rearsets if you haven't got them already (or if you have them but haven't experimented with forward-rearward positioning).

Regarding the saddle, personally I always tend to sit as forward as possible in town and sometimes the vibes produce interesting effects on my manly parts... :laugh2:

#12 ·
When I get lazy I find myself drifting towards the tank, and with sore thumbs later from using the bars to hold myself up. The 300 has a narrow tank, but adjustable rearsets and tank grip pads do help. But it still takes conscious effort to put weight on the footpegs and squeeze the tank between my knees. I think the more upright handlebar position enables a lazier body position. And I have Woodcraft clip-ons, too. On a true supersport the bars are even lower and the footpegs even higher and farther back.. so you don't really have a choice but to squeeze the tank (or completely stiff-arm the bars) or you'll fall over.

Obviously this will vary depending on your individual body, but I've learned that for me it all starts with the footpeg/seat/tank relationship. If my lower body is comfortably locked onto the bike I can tolerate a wide range of handlebar positions, with lower back endurance the only limiting factor.. but that can be trained up.

Anyway, I encourage you guys to try adjustable rearsets if you're feeling at all imbalanced.

#13 ·
I am used to riding my motorcycles as far away from tank as possible, but then when I took the BRC class couple of weeks back, I was asked not to and I did find the benefit of being closer to the tank, in terms of maneuvering; I believe its a good idea to be closer to the tank esp. in corners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.