Triumph 675 Forums banner

Back wheel locking

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  wavrdr 
#1 ·
HI,

I was recently at the track at my 675R and on downshifts my rear wheel was locking up even with a yoyodyne slipper clutch, the slipper is new and got better when i rev matched but this should not be the case.

Any ideas??

#4 ·
Were you at njmp two weeks ago? There was another 675 that was locking up his tire, smoking all over the place. A coach ran up to me as I pulled in and asked if it was me. I guess we had similar looking bikes?

#10 ·
yea that was me, I took it out for another half session and a similar thing happened so switched bikes.

Funny thing is it was happening when dropping only one gear i would get it if this was a case of dumping two or three gears.

bike needs to go back into the shop

#13 ·
I'd say take the bike back and have them look at it again. There's something not right there. I've got a yoyodyne slipper in mine and I've never had the rear wheel lock up in 3 years of racing the bike.

I would also say that you need to work on your down shifting even with a slipper. It's not a best practice to just count on a slipper to compensate for your downshifting. I rarely have my slipper kick in during a down shift.

Since you are in NJ, you might want to consider doing a YCRS class.

cheers,

#15 ·
Yes, the slipper should disengage on each and every downshift on the 675. I even feel mine on basic street downshifts. It's not something that only happens at a certain pace. It is pretty much fool proof too. There is virtually no way to lock the rear or over rev on downshifts with a true ramp and ball type slipper. it simply disengages the plates until road speed matches engine speed. It's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. The 675 sees a MASSIVE benefit from this piece due to it's very busy nature on the brakes.

#16 ·
One thing I didn't think of earlier, but remembered now because I'm going to change mine... the Yoyodyne comes with two sets of springs. One set results in less slipper action, one results in more. From what I remember of testing both sets when I first installed the clutch, there is a significant difference between the two.

#18 ·
did you bring the bike back to the shop?

it could be due to the mechanic not placing the discs in the correct order

what was before the 1st disc (the one closer to the engine with higher inside diameter and the 2 steel rings) need to be placed 2nd

1st disk would be a regular one, then 1 steel disk, then what was before the 1st disk with the 2 steel rings

another guess would be that one of the balls from the slipper clutch assembly has come out of its bed and is locking the slipper clutch

#19 ·
Make sure the two spacers are not utilized from the stock clutch(one is flat, the other is slightly convex). That could be your stack height issue.

The other would be to change to the other spring washers(you should have received a red and silver set with the slipper)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.