Triumph 675 Forums banner

Love my Daytona but...I'm thinking the Striple would be a better option for me.

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Hamptonite 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Daytona and while I love it, I can't help but feel that I could benefit from the much more comfortable Striple. I want to do track days still, but I'm not a racer, and I don't need a high-end racebike. I do ride it everyday however, and it is not good for distance trips.

So, I'm posting this here because...I'm wondering if it's possible to do a conversion? Or if it is not worth the trouble, and if I should consider trading it in?

Specifically, I'm asking if all of the OEM Striple parts that make the difference between it and the Daytona will fit on my bike. Flyscreen, half fairing, risers, belly pan, etc.

Have any of you successfully converted your Daytona to a more streetable bike?

#3 ·
Good good, let the striple run through you...!

I think you'll find it will be too much trouble to do a conversion (unless you have the time and money). Since time = money, it would probably be a better financial decision to sell the Daytona and get a ST3.

You won't regret it.

HA! Good one.

#4 ·
The flyscreen, half fairings and bellypan you speak of are all cosmetic changes. It's still going to ride like a Daytona. The only thing you've listed that I think would make a difference would be the risers. Why not just keep the Daytona but put risers on to make it more comfortable and when you get to the track you can throw the stock clip-ons back on and be good? You could also get different rearsets that will give you more leg room. I think if you do these two things then you'll make your Daytona comfortable to you and bearable on long rides. I honestly don't think the Daytona is horrible for long rides. I've done everything from daily commuting to 800ish mile rides on her and she's in stock form.

#6 ·
I should have been a little more specific maybe. I have been planning on doing Heli/Convertibars and adding rearsets with adjustability for comfort. Other than the cosmetic stuff and the handlebars/rearsets, I thought everything else on the Daytona was pretty much the same as the ST3, except the Daytona had more performance parts. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I am ok with spending money on parts, but what I don't want to have to do is serious modifications, like drilling, welding, etc.

#7 ·
I was adamant on getting a Daytona, but ended up with a Street Triple R, considering my 45 mi each way commute. I still felt like I should've gotten the Daytona, so I got clip-ons and swapped in Daytona rearsets. And yeeeaaaahh, I prefer the comfort of the Street Triple a lot more. But for real, I'd just get another bike instead of converting.

#8 ·
I'll trade you my 2013 ST-R w/ ~3500kms on it for your daytona. My bikes also got the leo vince exhaust, single headlight kit, competition werkes fender eliminator. Maybe we should do PM but let me know if you're interested. I love the ST-R just always been intrigued with the daytona.

#9 ·
There's a considerable difference between the two bikes. Engine, suspension, ergonomics, performance, power delivery, etc.

I commute about 100km each way, each day, on the Daytona with no issues. The only comfort mod I've done is the comfort seat from Triumph.
I find it fits me perfectly though and with the R and the suspension sorted it's a very sweet ride. The only time I'm ever unhappy is if I get caught in super heavy traffic and can't filter at all. But you're miserable in that situation on anything...

You're saying the bike is no good for long trips and isn't comfortable, both of which are pretty personal things. There are plenty of riders here who have no issues myself included, and so while your experiences aren't wrong per se, they aren't a fact either.

The bike just may not suit you at all, which is fair enough, or if you're stuck in heavy traffic for your whole trip the Street Triple will be an easier ride. Even not having your suspension set up properly can have a massive effect on your enjoyment of riding.

A Daytona with risers, adjustable rearsets and a comfort seat is not a Street Triple though, with or without the fairings. If you're feeling cramped in the racier positioning it'll help though.

On the bright side the Street Triple is a great bike, even at the track.

If you are thinking of swapping I would probably suggest taking the time to properly test the Street Triple to see whether it would suit you or not, maybe meet up with someone from here with a Street Triple for some longer rides so you can swap?

Also no, those parts won't just fit. It would be a massive amount of work to convert your bike to be a Street Daytona. If you use your bike everyday you probably can't afford to have it off the road while you figure it all out either, so that's probably not an option.

If you did want to try the mods others have suggested, keep all your stock parts. If you try them and are not happy you should be able to put it back to stock and sell those parts to people on the forum for a small loss, assuming you didn't buy eBay rubbish that's already falling apart.

#10 ·
You should see if any Triumph dealers in your area do their own trackdays, if so, go and try to demo a Striple. We just did a trackday that was hosted by Triumph of Seattle and they had a few demo bikes. You can track a streety with no problem, just ask Mac B.
I also do long trips on my Tona and find my knees start to cramp after 300 miles or so. I just take a few extra minutes when fueling up and its not to bad. There are a few threads on this exact subject that might have more info to make your decision easier.

#12 ·
So another reason not to buy a demo bike... lol.

Same here with the 300 mile marker for me. Being out of shape at the moment doesn't help. I have installed 1.5" risers, saddlemen gel seat, anti-vibration dampers in the bars, soft grips, zero gravity SR windscreen (tallest one I could find) and rear sets. They help and are worth every bit I spent on it.

I just posted a similar thread this week. I think I decided to save up and get a 2nd bike in the winter. Likely a speed triple. I can't part with the Daytona but the street triple is too similar, if you know what I mean.

#13 ·
I had a 2008 Daytona that I've ridden less and less every year til I sold it last month and got a Street Triple. I reached a point where I couldn't ride it more than 45 mins or so without pain. I couldn't be happier, and I wish I'd done it sooner. I'm 55 and riding sportbikes for 30 years. I'm 5'9", and 165 lbs, with bursitis in both knees, tendinitis in my elbows, and I've had more than a few broken bones and surgeries after some serious crashes, street and track. I put helibars on my bike years ago, and it helped, but the difference in comfort level on the Street Triple is night and day. I can ride for hours comfortably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.