Triumph 675 Forums banner

I Just did my very first track session and

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  RobSpeed13 
#1 ·
Im hooked haha. Circuit of The Americas is a beautiful track and its so nice to comfortably open up my baby and treat her like the bike she was meant to be, 2012 675R. I'll also add i used a fairly new set of Pirelli Diable Rosso III's and they did amazing. I'm no tire expert at all but im going to upload some photos of the front and rear. Tell me what you think, I ran both at 32psi cold, didnt check what they might have went up to after each session honestly, was in a hurry to get to the class sessions after each run as i parked so far.... Next time though, also uploading GoPro videos that i want to edit. Will admit the class instructor said we are spoiled haha, or spoiling ourselfs. Reason for that is especially if this was our first track day was because he said not all tracks are going to be as nice as this. That its one of the best ones out there you can find in America. In my opinion that entire track every road was a perfect smooth transition even going up the hills, only one spot that the road had a minor wave in the pavement on one of the X's they placed for our race line. Other then that the road was 99.9% perfect haha. for sure going to keep going when i can.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like reasonable tire wear. Check your pressures as you come off the track. For street tires, I wouldn't be any higher than 30/30 cold and would let off air to be around or below 33/31 hot. But definitely check hot temps, you could be getting up towards 40, which is definitely noticeable and bad.

#4 ·
Thats good feed back to know. Trust me i wanted too, but after every session id be in a hurry to take my helmet and gloves off, open my car, stuff them in, then walk all the way from one end of the paddock to the other just to get to class lol. Now that i know how COTA is next time i go for sure going to be checking immediantly after and parking way way closer to where the classes are.

No kidding about spoiling yourself. That's definitely some kind of track to have your first day on...Very nice!
yes sir, was pretty crazy on the 1st session. He said the track is made up of a very great sticky asphalt so when we did a round robin and were mostly cruising 40-80mph through the whole thing. I looked at my tires after words and was like wow as they had already started to begin looking like these photos.

#6 ·
As you are just starting out, you don't really need to concern yourself too heavily with tyre pressure.

As mentioned above, I agree that 30/30 cold is a good starting point with pressures.

When you start getting some decent pace or you start cold/hot tearing tyres is when its time to really focus on pressures at the beginning and end of each session. Your tyre wear looks pretty good.

When I first started out without warmers I used to put 30/30 in at the beginning of the day and not touch the pressures for the rest of the day.

#7 ·
As you are just starting out, you don't really need to concern yourself too heavily with tyre pressure.

As mentioned above, I agree that 30/30 cold is a good starting point with pressures.

When you start getting some decent pace or you start cold/hot tearing tyres is when its time to really focus on pressures at the beginning and end of each session. Your tyre wear looks pretty good.

When I first started out without warmers I used to put 30/30 in at the beginning of the day and not touch the pressures for the rest of the day.
Would not endorse this. Especially on hot days, pressure can creep up pretty high--it makes a real difference in feel and traction. Maybe you don't need to check after every session, but at least after the first or second session and as it gets hotter during the day. When I used to run q3s I forgot about tires and had a few moments, pressure was 38 at the rear, things went back to normal with letting off some air.

#11 ·
well good thing is even before this trackday i had my suspension set up to my weight. of course im more then positive it'll change as i advance in this new world of riding lol. But yeah weather here in Texas that day was well in the high 90's.

#12 ·
i really want to get some track day classes. they seem like a bunch of fun. street riding is getting old. i need some good track time. i hear its pretty addicting.

Reactions: RobSpeed13
#13 ·
yeah i was pretty sad to make my bike street legal today lol. where i live if i want twisties i have to ride 2 hours away so not worth it to me. When i lived in San Diego, Cali i was always on the streets haha. So for now i just keep looking into the track.

#15 ·
Interested in trying a track day one day. Definitely a little afraid though. I drive kinda like a grandpa, haha. How long on average would it take someone whos only a street rider to learn some techniques and how to lay the bike down lower? I have a lot of hesitation about that. And Im sure its not good to ride scared.

#16 ·
I get the hesitation. I remember being nervous before my first day. I only have experience with N2, but they put a huge focus on people's first time at the track. You break into small groups (with a control rider/coach that works with you and a few other people all day) and start at a very controlled pace (read: slowww) to help you get acclimated. As the day goes on they'll give you feedback on what you're doing and continue to help you get comfortable. It's not just a free for all right from the start.

I'd say your situation is more of the norm than the exception.

#20 ·
Most of the riding i did in southern cali was with groups of people that did track days along with a instructor. So everything i had been being taught by them i was applying at the track. I do agree with everyone else, you do break up into groups and the course instructors follow you giving feed back. They told me i followed the race lines well, i just need to work on moving my head and shoulders a little more off the bike so im not crossed up. Scooting my butt over and throwing a knee out i can do haha, just need to work on the upper torso of my body. Was also happy that i had learned about trail breaking while in california, helped quite a lot to break alot later and come into some turns faster then others in lvl1. Not that i was trying to race people of course, but to apply myself i did need to pass some people prior to turns, or outside of the turn, to keep practicing as here in San Antonio, there are no twisty roads. Also here are some photos from COTA(Circuit Of The Americas) Might be a other COTA track day in november, and if it does happen i'll more then likely go again. It cost about 2x/3x a normal track day from what i've seen some prices go for, but this track was damn near perfect, i only found 1 imperfection on the road which was a slight dip at 1 apex lol.

Hot Pit!

Time to follow the instructor as he follows a other student. Team orange Shirts! lol :p Also the elevation change on this turn i believe is 180ft? Don't remember exactly what they said it was, but near that.

When those Ducati 1299's are following you. I actually did pretty good following some people or when people chased me lol. anytime i really got passed was on the straights, those 1000cc bikes are no joke lmao.

Oh Apex :p

Sure do love that 1-Axis gimbal i use on the back of the bike. Keeps my gopro videos stable and horizontally level to see how much i actually lean the bike over lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.