Triumph 675 Forums banner

Im in the market for my first gun

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  whirlybird 
#1 ·
So ive been in the market for my first gun and im not 100% sure of what I should get. I eventually want to go hunting and in my neck of the woods no rifles are allowed so that narrows down my market to shotguns. So I was thinking of getting a 12 gauge Mossberg 500. With my narrow knowledge of shotguns I figured they are good price till I find out what I really want in a shotgun. Any opinion on new vs. used, or any other shotgun I should consider?

#5 ·
I for one don't see a problem with going used on a good quality pump. I'd look for a used Remington 870 wingmaster. Can't go wrong there, everyone knows how to work on em and easy to source parts for. Also real easy to fix problems out in the field where with an autoloader it might be the end of your hunting trip

#7 ·
I have two 870s and love them. Perfect for grouse hunting. I also have a mossberg that can take 3.5s . I use that for turkey and waterfowl. Can't go wrong with either. Benelli makes a great gun also just a bit pricey at times.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used gun if it was taken care of. Kinda like a used bike.

Can you use a pistol or muzzle loader? Those are options for you to explore as well.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
A good shotty is a must for firearms. Love the features on supernova, various sized rounds can be used, rotating lock( something like that its called, and has one of the coolest features to unload without disturbing mag tube, to load in a diff round, special designed stock to obsurb impact, if u want versitilty go supernova. True they aren't cheap, u get what u pay for. Reason I said buy new, is its still the kinda gun that's in the affordable range, and if u want to use it protection ever, u don't want any doubt, when an issue occurs. Definetly go manual tho, and pick up extended mag tube, and put some ghost ring sights on.

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I own 4 Remington 870's. Two 12's, one 20, and the latest addition, 12 tactical. Great guns, not expensive. I have never had a single issue with any of mine and they get shot a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.