Triumph 675 Forums banner

Considering moving to a 2016 675R ...

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  DarkHorse675 
#1 ·
really like what I've seen and read about this bike, deals are enticing ($11.5k). Current bikes are a 2015 GSXR 10000 and an '03 ZX9R. I normally wouldn't be considering a 600, but cautiously optimistic about the Triumph's usable power band. I ride mostly in the hills and have a 3 mile commute, so "practicality" isn't that important.

Would welcome insight from anyone who can comment on how the 675R might compare to the rides I'm familiar with, it's obviously lighter, less power overall, and sharper handling...but curious about what you love best (and least) about your 675 or 675R.

#2 · (Edited)
When I purchased my 2015 model, they took off $2000 off MSRP and if I waited until the end of the month the salesman would have offered me a $500 gear rebate. It was the best deal I received from any dealer at the time. Other dealers wouldn't budge on 600R/zx6R, and for the prices Triumph was the way to go.

The only thing I can say is that sometimes the bike gets hot, never overheated but I always avoid traffic if I can.

Most rides my bike seems more then capable in races/out in some twisty road (maybe its just me) highways are a breeze and here in Texas ALOT of roads are just straights.

Gas mileage isn't that amazing. Might just be my routes and how I tend to speed more often then not.

I love this motorcycle though. It is really light weight compared to my old 2014 Ninja 300. I think overall it is a better bike than the other 600cc out there. However I have to say, I love how the matte black zx6r are and if wasn't for the crappy deal the dealer gave me I would have bought one. There is a guy named 650ib on YouTube who recently bought one, and he only has good things to say about his 675R.

#7 ·
When I purchased my 2015 model, they took off $2000 off MSRP and if I waited until the end of the month the salesman would have offered me a $500 gear rebate. It was the best deal I received from any dealer at the time. Other dealers wouldn't budge on 600R/zx6R, and for the prices Triumph was the way to go.
Man I feel like my experience was the exact same when I was looking at 600's. Everything Japanese was more expensive because they were clearing out the 2016 Daytona's for $3k off. My buddy got a $500 gift card when he recently got his 675R I was pretty peeved at that

#6 ·
Are you getting rid of 1 of the bikes you listed?

Daytona is my 3rd bike and I'm up to 600 miles so far. Similarly situation : commute is so short not worth riding unless I'm headed out afterwards.

I really like how everything is balanced about the bike. Sounds great stock (I have neighbors so no desire for any louder). For twisty roads it's been fantastic. I feel like the 1st gear being longer, at least to my previous bikes, the lightness, and the smooth on/off throttle make it very pleasant to ride quick. You might miss the top end power but most of my riding is below 100mph

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#9 ·
the 675 has just enough power to have fun on the road. I was considering the RSV4 as well but I think if I tracked more than road, I'd have gone RSV4 but on the road I think it's just too much bike. I've had an 04 CBR1000 and an 07 D675 at the same time before. and even then, the Daytona was bike of choice for the road. it has enough to have fun but not enough to get yourself in trouble.

The sound and power of the RSV4 is SOOOOO tempting but realistically the D675 is more than enough for the road. That's my take. And get the D675R. the extra $$ is worth the it for the eye candy. After all, it's a luxury item (usually unless it is your main mode of transportation).

#11 ·
thanks guys for the great input, very helpful. The 675R would replace my neo-classic ZX9R, which I've had some fun restoring but isn't quite up to modern standard when ridden aggressively. I spend time in both San Jose (where I ride the awesome Santa Cruz mountain roads) and San Diego, so my GSXR 1k will be in one city, and either the 675R or an Aprilia will be in the other.

Love the grunt and usable power band of my GSXR 1k, which is why I'm also looking at the RSV4 or even Tuono. I wandered into a local Aprilia dealer who also carries Triumph, and the 675R (in Matte Black) totally caught my eye and I knew it had a rep as a sweet handling machine with years of rave reviews. Even with both Aprilias and the Triumph discounted (as they were all 2016 models), the 675R was $2,500 cheaper and that buys a lot of upgrades and riding gear, so got me thinking...

Will just have to get a test ride to see if I like the power/delivery and compare the overall experience to test riding a Tuono and RSV4 - anything I pick is going to be a better bike than I am a rider, so no worries there...

I'd be happy to wait for a new Daytona (bigger motor?), but am not sure that's "coming soon" given Triumph's share of the not-so-big Sportbike market.

#13 ·
765 Daytona is a poor attempt at a troll. They won't be making it. Certainly no time soon.

Be prepared to buy the Daytona if you test ride it. You will love it so much. I've got a 16R on the road and am looking at a 13R track bike right now.

Best of luck with your final decision anyway.

#14 ·
I have a 13 675r & a 13 Tuono. The best of both worlds. If I had to get only one I'd be hard pressed to make a decision. Make sure you test ride both the Triumph and the Aprilia. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
due in part to the helpful feedback in this thread, I'm think I'm going to pass. I love what I see and read about the 675R, but think I will miss the liter bike power. It may not be entirely usable on the street or "needed", but it sure is fun even if only used in small, safe doses. If there were a bigger difference in cost, I might still be swayed to the 675R, but it's hard to justify $11k-12k for the 675R next to an R1S, CBR1KSP, or a Tuono for the same money. I'll still try to get a test drive to see/feel for myself, and who knows, I might be hooked?

Here's hoping Triumph will take the 765 Street Triple motor and make a Daytona with it....that would change things entirely!

#16 ·
Any luck with the test ride?

No point looking at stats on paper. They are all significantly different machines. I'm on the smaller side 180cm/70kg and wouldn't upgrade from the 675R to any of the thousands. Can't use the power available now (except at the track) without risking jail, and all the new 1000ccs here with full electronics are significantly more expensive (50% more). It also handles extremely well, only thing that's come close IMO is the RSV4 but I haven't tested all the new 2017 thousands.

The RSV4 is exceptional though, but actually much smaller feeling than the 675R.

I'd be interested to hear how the new 765s compare to the Daytona. Power isn't that different between the two though, so unless they produced a highly tuned version (better than the RS) it seems unlikely they'd be significantly better then the Daytona. But you never know.

#17 ·
The new motor is an emissions exercise - to get the same-ish power and meet the new/near future restrictions you need a bigger motor that's not as highly strung.

In terms of performance, unless they give us TuneECU access back and a whole bunch of trick race kit parts, a 765 Daytona would probably just be a heavier bike with similar power - ie worse in every way that makes these things awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.