Triumph 675 Forums banner

Valves leaking at 16k miles on 07 Daytona

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  baz11 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Daytona with 16k miles on it, it's run great since I got it at 5k miles. I've had all the suggested maintenance, wet service at 6k and a full service at 12k. At the end of September it wouldn't start (ran fine the last time I rode it) and I finally got around to taking it to the local Triumph dealer. They ran a compression test and it failed. It's leaking out of all three cylinders. After further diag they said there's no damage to the upper end, the cams look fine, but that it needs a valve adjustment and possibly new pistons, rings, and cylinders.

This seems WAY too early for this and the dealer can't tell me what happened. Has anyone experienced this before, or have any ideas as to what might have gone wrong?

Thanks for your help!

#6 ·
There is nothing wrong with ethanol fuels in any modern machine.

22% loss isnt good, but 22psi doesnt make sense on compression, even with 22% loss I would expect more compression, did they do a wet compression and leakdown?

Which pistons had 22psi? all of them? If thats the case you probably have a bad head gasket. If its only one of them you need to pull the header off and listen to the exhaust port of that piston, as well as the ITB of that piston and that will determine if its leaking from the intake or exhaust ports. You would also want to listen via the oil fill hole as that would tell you the rings are bad. If you are testing one cylinder and hear it come out of another then your head gasket is bad.

#10 ·
I don't know if a specific piston was at 22 psi or all of them. They didn't specify, so that makes me think all of them. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

I only ride on the street currently. It was low on oil but the dealer didn't seem to think that it was starved. Perhaps that was the root cause of the damage.
I would ask which ones tested 22psi, thats crazy low, like so low I wouldnt even expect the engine to run at all.

Do you ride it hard? if so do you let it warm up enough before doing so? Change the oil at least once per year with good oil? Regular maint all done and up to date? Usually things like this dont just happen, there is a very good reason usually. Sometimes shitty luck is a factor however and shit does happen.

#11 ·
Yeah 22psi seems super low. I've rebuilt bikes that have sat in a barn for 30 years that have better compression than that. I would want to know compression on all cylinders. Valve adjustment for sure but the rest sounds a little premature.

#21 ·
So effectively, I CAN keep the old one and just fill it to the top line or should it be above the top line?

Oh, I see you wrote that you run it at the top of the cross hatch marks on the old style 90mm stick which would be above the top line. I'll go with that.

#22 ·
If you look at the photo the top line on the old dipstick (measure yours to be sure it is) is the low line on the new dipstick. If you fill to the ver top of the hash marks on the flat portion of the dipstick right up to the bottom of the start of the round portion then you are at the full make for the new dipstick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.