Triumph 675 Forums banner

Daytona 675 Headlights morimoto retrofit

17K views 86 replies 23 participants last post by  Daytonadick675UK 
#1 ·
Hi, all im new to this forum but not to retrofitting. I been building headlights for over 3 years now. I just picked up a nice daytona 675 black/gold. Before I even put 20 miles on it, i ripped the headlights apart and went to work. Original lights were one low beam and one high beam projector with silver bezel. So i decided to tare the lights apart and paint everything metalic gold and add morimoto mini projectors so now i will have 2 low beam and 2 high beam. The harness was custom made. I was going to use morimoto ballasts but they were to thick for where i wanted to put them so i used some cheap ass ebay ballasts.

Brackets

painting

test fitting

ballast placement

fitting everything for a nice clean look

Results

Output, i feel really good about the output considering i made the brackets 'eyeballing' and it came out perfect :)

See less See more
#6 ·
I was part of another thread and it seemed no one could figure out the right way to do this. So you change both projectors (and they match now I assume) and you just crossed the wires for low beam and high beam to the other sides? Or did it get more complicated than that?

About how much did you spend on this project?

#10 ·
I was part of another thread and it seemed no one could figure out the right way to do this. So you change both projectors (and they match now I assume) and you just crossed the wires for low beam and high beam to the other sides? Or did it get more complicated than that?

About how much did you spend on this project?
I changed out both projectors for 2 bi xenon projectors. I made a harness to run each ballast. Combined the hi beam wires and made a harness. I do this as a business on other forums and eBay so I had all the parts.

VERY awesome. Seriously, massive kudos for those man!
Thank you
So you're a vendor?
No I'm not I'm a vendor on another forum. I just got this bike so maybe in time I'll become a vender here too.
Where did you get your harness from and how much did it cost? I tried to make both mine run lo beams when i had mine apart but eventually got frustrated and gave up. I would LOVE to finally finish the project. We need more info on how you did the 2 lows 2 highs. Looks awesome though :thumbup:
I made the harness. You need to tare the lights apart and replace the projectors with bi xenon projectors like I did and And then install and hid kit.

#9 ·
Where did you get your harness from and how much did it cost? I tried to make both mine run lo beams when i had mine apart but eventually got frustrated and gave up. I would LOVE to finally finish the project. We need more info on how you did the 2 lows 2 highs. Looks awesome though :thumbup:

#11 ·
Would you be interested in putting together a harness like that for a fellow forum member?:whistle:

I'd be more then happy to pay of course

#18 ·
So this is what i'm looking for?

#20 ·
Perfect, got them ordered. As far as the harness is concerned, will any headlight harness from a somewhat modern car work?

#22 ·
would this work?

#26 ·
Yes that harness will work but it is pretty bulky, he recommended looking for something smaller. Now i just have to work out the bracket.

#33 ·
How difficult is it to tear apart the factory projectors and headlight housings? Where did the bi-xenon projectors come from?

On another thread we were trying to figure out the differences between the low beam projector and the high beam projector, and whether or not it was the bulb or the projector itself that created the high beam or low beam or vise versa. For all we knew, both the high and low beam projectors could have been identical, and it was the bulb type/position in the housing that created the actual low beam or high beam, even using the same lens.

I never got around to trying to swap projector lenses from high to low and vise versa to see if that was true.

This is something I want to do eventually, but I worry about the power consumption. Our charging systems can barely handle the stock high beam and low beam on at the same time, not to mention the fan too.

Please post up some more pics/how to's/part numbers, etc.

Thanks for all the great info!

#35 ·
How difficult is it to tear apart the factory projectors and headlight housings? Where did the bi-xenon projectors come from?

On another thread we were trying to figure out the differences between the low beam projector and the high beam projector, and whether or not it was the bulb or the projector itself that created the high beam or low beam or vise versa. For all we knew, both the high and low beam projectors could have been identical, and it was the bulb type/position in the housing that created the actual low beam or high beam, even using the same lens.

I never got around to trying to swap projector lenses from high to low and vise versa to see if that was true.

This is something I want to do eventually, but I worry about the power consumption. Our charging systems can barely handle the stock high beam and low beam on at the same time, not to mention the fan too.

Please post up some more pics/how to's/part numbers, etc.

Thanks for all the great info!
HI/LO is actualy a projector has nothing to do with the bulb. Bi xenon projectors just have a moving cut off shield so when you hit high beam the cut off shield goes down and lets more light through the projector. Only halogen/reflector style headlights have bulbs that are hi/lo. The headlight compared to all the headlights i ever done was the toughest to tare apart. The good part is if you mess up its easy fix sense a lot gets covered up by the fairing. I havent had a single issue running 2 hid ballast. Both my projectors are on every time i ride. High beams durring the day low beam durring the night. Im building another set of lights and ill post better info durring the build.

#34 ·
nice! glad to see someone did this before i did.

i got a set of these projectors pretty cheap about 2 months ago. i put 2 low beam projectors in this spring, but that proved problematic when cornering in the dark. so i'm gonna tear them apart again this winter and put the bi-xenons in.

hopefully i can still reuse my brackets. it looks like you made a new one..?? if so, what did you make it out of? ABS?

#36 ·
Yes its abs i always use it, can stand the heat, easy to work with, used them for 40+ headlight retros. If you notice in the picture my bracket is actually an attachment to the original bracket. Reason i did that was because original bracket didnt have enough space to drill new holes for the new projector, so i made a bracket to hold the new projector and attached my bracket to the original bracket.

#37 ·
oh ok nice! i've been meaning to pick up some ABS anyways to make my amp rack (for the car lol)

would you mind posting a picture of the ABS piece mounted to the metal tab? i'd like to see your mounting points.

i've done a retrofit on the bike and the car, both have come out slightly crooked :/

#39 ·
Oh also, when starting your bike, do your lights cut out monetarily when you hit the starter switch (like factory), or have you wired them to stay off until the bike starts, or on all the time, even when you hit the starter button? I know there was a mod for the HID people to keep the lights off until the bike started, to preserve the ballasts and bulbs from the quick on/off cycle.

Also, the way you've wired them, are you capable of turning them off entirely?

Although its illegal in most places to run without a headlight, it's nice to have the capability to turn it (them) off in case you have battery or charging system problems. You can turn off the lights during the day in an emergency to get you home before your battery goes dead.

Or, (now I'm really getting carried away), it would be nice to be able to turn one off as well. If you get stuck at night with charging system issues, you can conserve power that way as well (because you only need one light on, unlike a car).

Also, do you have the capability to run both high and low beam at the same time for both lights? I used to be able to do that on my car by holding the stalk right between both settings. Just curious. Looks bright enough where it wouldn't matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.