Triumph 675 Forums banner

Sliding on seat!

8K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  maxt458 
#1 ·
Guys

What are the options? I seem to be sliding forward every time I break/slow down. I know I should be using my knees, but it is still difficult not to slide forwards.

Do Sargeant seats really sort this problem? Has anyone tried Tony Archer? Not worried about sore but just the sliding issue.

#6 ·
Invest in stomp grip. So much more purposeful than the snake skin in my opinion.
Also, are you anticipating your braking. Start to brake earlier if you are squezing hard enough to get rocked forward that is pretty heavy. Are you keeping your feet planted on the pegs? How are you applying brake?
I always keep both legs locked on my tank pads when I am doing any braking or know I'm about too. If you are in a corner, let's say a left corner, your right knee should be very planted on the tank and your left foot should be solid on the peg. = no sliding

#11 ·
The stock seat material is grippy, but the way it's shaped makes you slide forward constantly. Sargent seat material is slicker, but it's flat so you don't slide when sitting still.

#12 ·
Hit the hip adduction machine. It's tiring to keep exhert the strength but using your knees and inner thighs will hold you in place.

#13 · (Edited)
Actually, I want the seat to NOT be resistive to sliding. When you are moving your butt side to side, having to stand on the pegs to lift your ass clear of the seat to shift to an extended position is not cool. It takes too much energy and time and upsets the balance of the bike.

I'll bet you guys that have "grip" issues are riding with jeans / cloth pants. The reason I believe this is the case is riding in leathers does not seem to give rise to this issue.

You could always glue velcro to the side of the tank and stitch the mating material to the inside of your jeans at the knees. Once bonded, no sliding. Of course, you may need help getting off the bike and may fall over after stopping at intersections due to your inability to tear your leg off of the tank.

x

#17 ·
Do you use any certain cleaner waxes on your seat? If so stop. Clean it with Windex or something. If the seat is just aged a bit from the sun or something just get it reupholstered . You can redo your seat in a good leather for a bit less than an aftermarket.
My Guzzi had that issue . I had the seat done in alcantera. Synthetic suede. Looks beautiful but not exactly waterproof unless you have it scotchguarded.

#20 ·
Depending on where your legs/knees fall in relation to the tank grips will have a big impact on their effectiveness. I find my Tecspecs fairly useless except for extreme situations. Stompgrips work a TON better, but depending on bike color can look like ass (air bubbles and or yellowing). The Tecspecs lose a lot of the tackiness after a couple years as well. Taller/long inseam folks will get more use of surface area of the pad than otherwise, as well.

#22 ·
The C3's aren't working for me and I think they are cut wrong and need to be higher, bigger. I have to squeeze way to hard and angle my knees in to get any grip, to much effort wasted on this, instead of all the other things needed attention upon turn in. I just ordered the clear stomp grips, so we will see.

#28 ·
My HT's started getting slick after half a season of commuting (maybe 1500mi?). All textile pants. Went back to the set of StompGrips I peeled off and they're still grippy as ever (probably 4000mi on them). Out of all 3 of the popular grips, I still like StompGrip the most. HT is really good for track seats though.

#30 ·
RSangster,

After I have attended a few track days myself on my 675R, I found out that utilizing my stock seat was the best choice. I also scuffed the knee portion of my leathers to help provide additional group.

As for grip during heavy braking, i would recommend setting your body position for you come to the corner. Utilize both legs during your heavy portion of the breaking. As you begin to dip the bike into the corner and coming off the brakes, fully develop your body position. This will take some practice and adjusting little things here and there on your motorcycle. I recommend just keep plugging away and try different quirks. There is a lot of good responses. I have been to many different riding schools and in the end, it is whats comfortable for you while providing the best feedback. Just try different recommendations and see what works for you.

If you already have stomp grip (i do) and good body position, next is just getting that right combination. I would still stick with the stock seat. Also, try an adjustable rear-set. I have attack performance and it made all the difference in the world since I put them as high as they could go. made another big difference.

Good luck

#32 ·
It's been covered, but first take a good look at your riding technique. Do your wrists get sore? If so, you're not using your legs and engaging your core. The sergeant seat will help but you have to fix your bad technique too if you want to ride safely and effectively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.