Triumph 675 Forums banner

Hello, need some advice on upcoming purchase!

977 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  675GP 
#1 ·
Hello from MN! I'm 34 and looking to buy a brand new 2015 matte black Daytona 675r. I've had 7 different bikes through the years. Sport bikes, Harleys, Buells and choppers. I got rid of my last bike, a road glide cause frankly it just didn't do anything for me even after putting thousands and thousands of dollars into it. Here's my predicament, I know something like a s1000r, speed or street triple is more practical but my heart is set on a daytona. So I guess what I'm asking is have any of you daytona owners said to hell with logic and practicality and just bought the bike that makes little sense but gives you that special tickle inside? I may track it someday but that's zero concern right now. Maybe commuting 40 min one way on the freeway and just playing around on the weekends. I'm 5'8" 240 and in pretty decent shape. I won't be able to test drive it. Thanks!

#2 ·
Hello from MN! I'm 34 and looking to buy a brand new 2015 matte black Daytona 675r. I've had 7 different bikes through the years. Sport bikes, Harleys, Buells and choppers. I got rid of my last bike, a road glide cause frankly it just didn't do anything for me even after putting thousands and thousands of dollars into it. Here's my predicament, I know something like a s1000r, speed or street triple is more practical but my heart is set on a daytona. So I guess what I'm asking is have any of you daytona owners said to hell with logic and practicality and just bought the bike that makes little sense but gives you that special tickle inside? I may track it someday but that's zero concern right now. Maybe commuting 40 min one way on the freeway and just playing around on the weekends. I'm 5'8" 240 and in pretty decent shape. I won't be able to test drive it. Thanks!
Weren't Buells sport bikes?? Or an attempt to be one?

Anyway, I'll give you my 2 cents. I'll preface this by saying, I think the Daytona is awesome and a great bike, like many other Supersport style motorcycles. Having said that, here is my take on it: The Daytona and other supersport style bikes are great fun for short trips, short commutes to work, and tearing up the twisty backroads as well as the track on the weekend. BUT IN MY OPINION if you are looking for a bike that will be comfortable for the daily commute as well as longer road trips (by longer I mean 100+ miles) it is not an ideal choice, this applies to all supersports not just the Daytona. These bikes just aren't designed to be super comfortable for cruising long distances, they are basically made for the track, designed to be aerodynamic, have a small wind profile, be fast and agile. And no disrespect intended, based on your stats you are a bigger guy, these bikes tend to be more comfortable the smaller you are. Many riders (especially bigger or taller ones) complain of wrist pain on longer rides, a lot of people will chime in and attribute this to improper technique, poor core strength, etc., I have found it mostly has to do with rider size, height, geometry of the bars, predisposition to wrist pain etc. Also, due to the aggressive posture taken while riding these bikes some also complain of back pain on longer rides, this is especially true if you already have back pain.

Having said all of that, I am 6'4" 215lbs and genuinely enjoy riding my Daytona, but I acknowledge it isn't made for everything(you wouldn't take a Lamborghini to Home Depot to buy cement). If you read what I wrote and accept that ,awesome. If you decide maybe you have needs that require something more practical, cool, there are a lot of great bikes out there. My point is go in with your eyes open, they don't get more comfortable, when I got my first sports bike I bought it on the cool factor 100%, like an idiot. I now have three motorcycles because they all meet different needs, I realize that is not a reality or a possibility for all of us.

In closing

If you are looking for something for road trips and really long rides, I would look at something else made more for touring. If you want a nice balance of the agility of a super sport and the comfort of a more upright bike, consider a street fighter such as the street triple or one of the many other street fighter style bikes.

#3 ·
Thanks GP675, that actually brings up a great point about size. I've got pretty good core strength. I spend a lot of time in the gym but regardless there's just going to be significantly more weight on my wrist or significantly more weight for my core to support. My buddy is 6'4" 240 and loves his BMW s1000rr but I really didn't care for it. I really appreciate your response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.