Triumph 675 Forums banner

Stator Plug Melted.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cayden2 
#1 ·
So I smelled burning plastic last time I was riding, worst smell EVER. I pulled the tank up and 2/3 ports on the connector coming off the stator (the ones connecting to the RR) were toasted (the melting started on the staor side of the plug). Would that mean the stator is toast? The R/R was just replaced recently after it had went out....tested out the stator the best I could before and its' output seemed normal....but melted plug would make me think otherwise. What say ye experts?

#2 ·
Bad conection with high resistance makes heat. Which will burn up plugs. I would say tge plug was bad but cant say about the stator without any readings.

#3 ·
Plus one...had the same thing happen to mine. Mine wasnt melted too bad. I tested the stator and it checked out good. It must have been a loose connection or some dirt got in. I know one of the blades partially sunk in but it still had good connection and I put dielectric grease on the blades and terminals. Never had a problem since.

#5 ·
If your R/R recently went bad it may have taken the connection to the stator with it. It's not uncommon for the R/R to take out the stator completely. Did you get a new R/R under the recent recall, or did you buy one? Either way you should get your dealer involved because you stand a good chance of getting the repairs free if the R/R has caused the problem. If you bought the replacement R/R yourself and you still have the original R/R I'd refit it and then take it to your dealer.

#6 ·
It is a yamaha r1 r/r that has been relocated. I tested the stator and it checked out okay. Don't have the original r/r that thing died a while ago unfortunately. I'm thinking dirt got inside the terminals. For some reason the backs of the connectors had no weather proof seal on them. So chances are high. I'll report back after I fix it today thanks to knolly saving my ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.