Triumph 675 Forums banner

Should I get it? 2012 675R

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TN12 StripleR 
#1 ·
I've been searching for a 2012 675R for some time now. I found one on Craigslist within 6 hours from my location. My question to you is, would you buy it? Why, or why not? Also, what are some things that I should look for when I go and see the bike? I have done some research but cannot find anything specific to the Daytona or this model/year that I should be concerned about.

It sounds like the owner did not get much use out of the bike and is trying to get rid of it as a result. The only mods are blacked out windscreen, cell phone charger, cell phone mount, and "upgraded exhaust by Triumph" (whatever that means). Appears to have the same tires it had on it when new, and the owner says it has had the 500 mi service. Garage kept. No damage. Clean title. Thoughts?.

Link: https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/mcy/6050160408.html

#3 ·
"upgraded exhaust by Triumph" (whatever that means)
Looks like a TOR (Triumph Off-Road) exhaust, which is basically a stock slip-on without a baffle. Sounds better but no power or weight advantage.

The bike looks nice. Nothing really in particular to watch out for on a 2012, just the usual "used bike" stuff. That's low mileage for a 5 year old bike, which means it's probably been sitting a while. Probably needs new fluids, the tires may be a little too old to be safe and it might be due for a new battery.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I may have another bike in the stable here pretty soon.

Being 5.5 hrs away from me, I will not be riding it home. You're all right about low mileage for 5 years old, the potential for old tires, and the rest. Next question, do you think it will fit in the back of my GTI? haha jk

#6 ·
Ha! I did the samething almost 2 years ago. Drove 5 hrs for a 2012 D675R with 5,000 miles on it, with Frame sliders & Arrow slip on.

Common things to check has already been mentioned Fluids & tires. On both my 09 & 12 D675's the coolant has been a swamp green color & always had to remove the coolant reservior bottle to get the sand out. They both had hard shifts until I changed the oil, brake fluid has been good but I changed it for piece of mind. The battery on my 12' has lasted surprisingly even now. On my 09, the seller jumped it off and tried to charge it by riding it over to the meet up spot.

I would checked if it has been dropped, fold up the foot pegs check the bottom and mounting brackets on both sides, check bar ends, check of the paint has been chipped around the mirrors bolts to see if they have been removed, check brake lever and shifter for scracthes. Another dead giveaway is the tires, If the tires have been changed from the the Pirellie Diablo Supercorsa to some other brand before 3,000miles the bike mostly likely has been wrecked. I've personally seen 2 D675's with Michelin and Dunlop tires with 1,200 miles & 900miles on them for sale yet advertised as "never been dropped"

With the 12' I had the seller meet up at local Triumph dealer and payed the $200 for a bike inspection and did one of my own. Takes about an hour but it is soooo worth it. With my 09' I had the seller meet me at a local bike shop and got the free inspection, but the 09 had 3,000 miles & my 12' 675R had 5,000miles

Reactions: Narb
#7 ·
I've personally seen 2 D675's with Michelin and Dunlop tires with 1,200 miles & 900miles on them for sale yet advertised as "never been dropped"
That's pretty common, actually. The stock Pirellis are a little overkill for street riding and are complete shit in the rain. I swapped mine out for Michelins right away on my last bike. Ended up with a profit after selling the Pirellis too.

#9 ·
Welp, last weekend I pulled the trigger and bought the bike mentioned above! What a beautiful machine! Thanks for the inputs going into this; they helped me make my decision. Waiting for some time this coming week to get it on the road and then the painful wait until 18 May when I take the mandatory safety course per the military. For now I will continue to start it up in the garage and annoy my neighbors.

Side note: Before anyone says anything, I did re-position the strap coming off the handlebars after this picture because it was rubbing on the plastics. :wink3:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.