Triumph 675 Forums banner

KE100 Project

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  VK56DEHAN 
#1 ·
I got bored and irritated with my 1983 KE100 not too long ago and decided I would break her all the way down and try to make it as new as possible again. It is a street legal, antique plated 2 stroke with about 1200miles. History, bought it off a friend for $500 in "previously running" state to help him out. Little carb work and she fired up with ease. Rode the beast around for a couple months in town then clutch started slipping under acceleration. Fixed quite a few things here and there (didn't photo log it at all really) but noticed if it wasn't one thing it was another. Then I left town for 3 weeks (work) and I guess that little 1970s engineered injection pump was leaking just a tiny bit. Ended up filling the cylinder, exhaust, and carb with oil and ultimately dumped a gallon of oil on my garage floor...sigh, always something. Lucky the Daytona was on front and rear stands so her feet didn't get oily lol. Long story shorter, I tore it down to find that overall material condition seems to be great. Very little rust and things of that nature. First couple pics are after I just cleaned it up and got her running for the first time. All the others are just after breakdown and that is basically as far as ive got at this point. Last pic is just for Daytona people, shes as flawless up close as from afar :). Anyways, my plan is to replace many of the know things like the clutch plates and springs, throttle cable, shocks etc that I have found it to need. Other than that I just want to make it near new again....the bike is 34 years old so some things need a little refresh. Engine has since been pulled but due to work and family priorities have not got to breaking into that yet. I will follow up with some pictures as everything progresses. I have a very strict budget based on its resale value so most things able will be refurbed rather than replaced. I work in the aviation field so of course every single nut and bolt has been bagged and tagged. I know it looks like a box o crap but it is organized, please don't judge too much. Also sorry ahead of time but I'm not all that great at taking pics and I get involved, ultimately forgetting. I know these pics are random but ill try to get better. I have yet to get terribly far but its honestly just for fun anyways. I don't need the bike in any way so I work on it when I feel like it. Will update when I can, please comment and / or include cheap upgrade suggestions.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My mom has owned a KE100 for as long as I can remember. I have childhood memories of being towed around snowy British fields on a sled behind it. It traveled all over the world with us but has sat for years. Dad has started collecting parts for it to get it back in shape and I'm looking forward to riding it.

#4 ·
Had a bit of time off work today so went through all major components cleaned, rid of rust, and prepped needed components for new paint. Took the head off and pulled clutch cover as well in preparation for tomorrow. Wife told me it was time to call it a night after 8 hours. Overall she is looking good. By what I can see other than running rich there is no skirt scaring (assume with that piston should be in good shape). Just a few follow on pics from the night. Next I'm pulling apart the clutch and rest of the head to start ordering parts. Forks are shot and one of the rear shocks are bent pretty bad so those are must orders. Might go dumpster diving to try and find heavier duty forks instead of going stock again as they are excessively weak even new. To both who responded the parts availability and cheap cost is a big reason I agreed to buy in its condition with my plan in mind. Plus, coming from California there is a bit of rebel feeling riding a smoky 2 stroke on the street legally hah. To IanC, tell your dad that ebay is the go-to for this bike. I have found nearly anything and everything id ever need. If needs help in any way I will know a lot about this bike by the end and am happy to help. here are the few pics.....comment if you see anything in dire need I might have missed. Oh, and of course I missed pics on several steps along the way, I blame the scotch this time..... I did a lot more than these pics show :laugh:

Attachments

#6 ·
I prefer those earlier years myself but this one is in such good shape couldnt pass it up. So i pulled the clutch apart and the friction plates were at the service limit (at 1200miles realy!?) and the spring were just above so i ordered a set of ebc plates and higher pound springs to make the clutch stiffer and more responsive. Itll be about a week or 2 before those all come in so no build up tikl that. Pukked the head and bore. Both looked good to me. Piston was heat and carbon stained pretty good but still good with no scaring. Cleaned up the piston and reseated. Rings were good and can hear/ feel better compression now (didnt test obviously) then before. Gonna paint the fairings soon will post my "amazing" pics then. Rain has got the best of all the painting. Poor daytona hasnt been out in about 3 weeks poor thing. I need to stop working on this thing sometimes and ride that bike lol.

#7 · (Edited)
No progress today, decided to take big bike out and head to the jamestown first settlement with a friend since it was so nice out. Ill get back to the little bike later this week. California had better roads but man is it pretty aroubd this area. Anyways here is a couple ke pics from the other day too. Oh and forgot to mention, i think someone put car oil in the gearbox which obviously contributed to the slipping. Could tell the old oil had friction reducer with the whole finger rubbing trick.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
So haven't made any progress until today...thanks to the military and physically beat to death all the time. But same reliable friend made an appearance and we made huge progress. This is from noon till about 8 at which I made him and my wife steaks and grilled corn with a side of whiskey. She should be ready to feed fuel in by the end of the month. Need to put some evaporust in the tank again as the high humidity and spiders decided to ruin my first attempt. FYI, that crap is amazing, if you need rust broke up, buy the Walmart evaprust....great stuff. Anyways, also bought redcoat liner for after. Once I'm done with that and get that front fairing painted she will be complete again. Speaking of paint.....my "professional" rattle can job already isn't holding up well so in due time they will be removed and redone by a friend whom has professional experience and tools to repaint. It looked great when I first painted it (good prep, primer, three matt coats, 2 high gloss clear coats) but with the extremely tropical (Virginia beach hah) humidity took its toll. Anyways was a bit worried about the ebc clutch plates due to how tight they were fitting into the basket but it seems to be working well now that I was able to put her in gear. Little worried about the circlip on said basket as well, as one edge didn't seem to seat quite right hah.....guess we will find out. Worst case new fiction plates, oil, gasket and circlip. This bike has been built purely off whisky scotch and badass so fist ride should be fun. Torn apart and put together in the same perfect state lol. I will attach a video after the first start. I didn't prep the bowl so I'm not gonna start the video when I first start kicking.......after 20-30 min I think people will get bored. Anyways.....enjoy the pics. Also on a Daytona subject, just past 8k amazing reliable miles. in 2k miles there will be a plethora of amazing aftermarket / race parts being installed....stay tuned for that one. After 10k ms Daytona will be a dedicated track bike :), cant wait! Setting her up for next spring season soon.

Attachments

#9 ·
Keep in mind she is 34, almost 35 years old and almost all original.......

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.