Triumph 675 Forums banner

Thinkin about leaving...

5K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  MadMel 
#1 ·
Hey guys, any of you just pack all of your necessities in a couple boxes, slap a shipping label on them, jump on your bike, and just go?

I live in the Inland Empire (not Anaheim) region of California, where life is, for the most part, not possible. Buy not possible, I mean, here mostly everything is fake. From the buildings to the pavement, landscape to atmosphere, here in the inland empire, it's tough to get in touch with mother nature. Here in the inland empire, it's hard to eat healthy, hard to be heard, hard to make a global difference.

Here most people have a false sense of accomplishment, a yearn to cock measure, here a lot of insecurity exists. Some of you may be thinking, these things exists everywhere, we can't know for sure, unless we've been everywhere.

I just know that for 27 years, I've been here, and today it's just me, haven't met anyone like me, even with siblings and relatives. So maybe I should go search, hunt if you will, for likeness, for change, and if not change, people who want change, will die fighting for change. I am not one to be content, or one who says "well what can you do?" Change yourself you change the world. And maybe that starts with a change in location.

Any of you just say f it, let's see where my intuition takes me...I know my streety would love to.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
I will say this if you are single , no tie downs what so ever that would hold you back ,got the financial backing for a period of 6 month to a year saved up then by all means roll that throttle see where you & your T will end up life is too short to be a hostage of society

#9 · (Edited)
Damn fellas you're about to make this real lol. There is a lot more going into this decision as you can imagine, so I need to round off any possible sharp edges before I go.

jk what part of Florida? I have a cousin living in north Miami.

I'm a weird guy supposedly. According to my mother I'm an alien. If any of you have read Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, That book describes my personality and outlook on life pretty accurately. Just living in the moment and accepting all possibilities, and the reality of death. Just focusing on my breathing, and letting my intuition lead the way.

Like when I'm on my bike :)

Side note while it's on my mind, last week I was at my cousins house, his brother-in-law comes over, and sees my helmet sitting there on the entry table. Here is the dialogue:

Him- who's helmet?

Me- that's mine.

Him- what do you have a Vespa?

Me- no, it's in the garage.
(we walk to the garage)

Him- ok sick sick, what's this?
(he points to my center tank pad)

Me- that's for my nuts man.
(I lined 2 rows of foam tape)

Him- oh just sit back man.

Me- I like my weight to be forward, I like to hug the tank.

Him- nah man just sit back and lean.

Me-(chuckling) alright man.

Him- bro I fly at 140!

Me- oh you have a motorcycle license?!

Him- yeah bro I fly at 140...no.

Me- (laughing) aight then man.

Him- bro talk to me when you have an eleven hundred.
(walks back inside)

I turn to my cousin and ask him, what does he wear on his feet when he rides, my cousin says sneakers.

You guys aren't those guys right? Lol.

#12 ·
Damn fellas you're about to make this real lol. There is a lot more going into this decision as you can imagine, so I need to round off any possible sharp edges before I go.

jk what part of Florida? I have a cousin living in north Miami.
if youre looking to get away from fake people, miami is not the place.

hit the road and see where it takes you. you arent the only one that thinks or feels the way you do, hell, youre on a triumph forum, all of us on here share a very unique taste in motorcycles.

sounds like you have no burdens holding you back, now just take the leap.

#10 ·
Hit the road. Life is all about maximising experiences and minimising regrets, and the last thing you want is to be regretting the experiences you didn't have.

I'm a bit of a nomad myself... I'd guess that I've lived in something like 20 towns. Liked most, didn't like a couple, haven't regretted any, met people whose company I enjoy in all.

#13 ·
Hit the road. Life is all about maximising experiences and minimising regrets, and the last thing you want is to be regretting the experiences you didn't have.

I'm a bit of a nomad myself... I'd guess that I've lived in something like 20 towns. Liked most, didn't like a couple, haven't regretted any, met people whose company I enjoy in all.
:thumbup: great post. i like that first quote, may have to put that in my sig line.

#14 ·
Don't let the yarning to escape make you mis what's right under your nose, though ;)

I'd say people are truer where living is harsher.

#16 ·
come down here to miami we have a nice group we ride with weekly, you will find some fake people down here just like you'll find fake people everywhere you go. The bottom line is life is what you make of it and it all depends on you! the type of attitude you have towards it. :coolgleamA:

#17 ·
I did the same thing when I was 20. I had just graduated from The University of Utah, and I had enough of that town. I spent my whole life in Salt Lake City, and wanted to find a better life. I sold two motorcycles, had a big garage sale, packed my bags, hopped on my CBR F3, and rode off.

I went to LA and stayed there for a few months. I didn’t really like it all that much, so I rode up to San Francisco and I have been here ever since. Lots of great tracks, tons of fun stuff to do, AMAZING roads to ride, wine country just a quick shoot up the road, or take the twisties. I absolutely love this town (Northern CA in general really), and would not trade it for any other city.

The best thing I ever did for my soul was hop on my bike and ride off. Was it easy? No, but it was worth it.

#18 ·
Hey guys, any of you just pack all of your necessities in a couple boxes, slap a shipping label on them, jump on your bike, and just go?

I live in the Inland Empire (not Anaheim) region of California, where life is, for the most part, not possible. Buy not possible, I mean, here mostly everything is fake. From the buildings to the pavement, landscape to atmosphere, here in the inland empire, it's tough to get in touch with mother nature. Here in the inland empire, it's hard to eat healthy, hard to be heard, hard to make a global difference.

Here most people have a false sense of accomplishment, a yearn to cock measure, here a lot of insecurity exists. Some of you may be thinking, these things exists everywhere, we can't know for sure, unless we've been everywhere.

I just know that for 27 years, I've been here, and today it's just me, haven't met anyone like me, even with siblings and relatives. So maybe I should go search, hunt if you will, for likeness, for change, and if not change, people who want change, will die fighting for change. I am not one to be content, or one who says "well what can you do?" Change yourself you change the world. And maybe that starts with a change in location.

Any of you just say f it, let's see where my intuition takes me...I know my streety would love to.
I hear you on some of those points. Really, this is a Southern California culture thing, and I too often have a hard time relating. I used to joke that one day I was going to empty my bank account, get and my car and just drive until I landed somewhere. The "IE" has its own special problems, and it really can be unbearable at times.

Have you considered the PNW? You seem a bit of a hippie, it may suit you. Beautiful place if you can get past the weather.

#21 ·
Im in Orlando Zen and while its true the twisties are few and far between down here that doesn't mean they don't exist. If your a track guy there's homestead and Jennings not too far off and you cant beat the year round riding weather either.

Theres gonna be fake people everywhere (especially Miami), like many have said before me. The trick is to go your own way and find the road thats best for you. If you swing down this way shoot me a PM, I aint no squid and sure as shit aint fake.

#24 ·
It's really interesting to think of the responses this thread would have gotten on a completely different forum that I am on. I enjoy having multiple interests/passions and really enjoy the diversity of crowd they bring. The other forum that I am on is a guitar forum full of pro, semi-pro, non-pro, hobbyist, and wannabe guitar players (Telecaster lovers specifically).

The variance between levels of experience and skill is pretty similar to here, though I don't think the OP would have gotten even close to the same response as he did here.

I guess it's true. Motorcyclists are a rare and occasionally nomadic breed, and even when we ourselves are locked and cocked at home, we still understand that Jack Kerouac instinct.

I moved to NYC at 26 yrs old to follow music. Was living in San Diego before that. I don't regret the shift at all. I'd kind of gotten tired of that plastic-y shiftless vibe at that point, so I moved to the one place where no one stands still or has the time to BS. In the interim I toured and recorded (spent more than I made), did my undergrad and grad studies (almost done with the PhD), and finally got the fuck out of the restaurant biz about 4 years ago.

Oh yeah, and got back into motorcycles and the track about 7 years ago.

Follow your heart and your dreams, man. As long as you aren't simply geographically dissociating yourself from your problems, a change of scenery and people can be the best thing sometimes.

Personally, I'm about ready for the West Coast again but a little further north. Maybe Mountain View. Maybe not. Maybe a little further south on the East Coast. Who knows.

#25 ·
As stated, you sound "hippy-ish". Not that that's a bad thing. But, I wouldn't go to a place like Miami if you are like that. NorCal, Oregon, Washington, Colorado are all good places to go where other people share your like mentality.

Off the top of my head, places on the east coast like that are much fewer and far between. Ones I can think of though would be Asheville, NC and maybe Vermont/New Hampshire.

I actually just packed up and moved to Seattle, myself, though it was a bit more planned. My wife and I started trying to get the hell out of CT, and as soon as she got a job offer we left.

#27 ·
If you come through Kansas City you have a couch here man, free of charge.

I about sold everything and went over to Europe to just hike, but in the end I am a workaholic, it is still on my bucket list though. So it will happen one day.

In the end make yourself happy, no one else can.

#30 ·
If you come through Kansas City you have a couch here man, free of charge.
Thanks brother lol.

Zen, you still haven't left yet?!?! you better hop on that bike man..:rofl2:
Still haven't left...we just had an audit and I was needed badly at "work"

In 1986 sold everything bought a r900s bmw went to Europe for six months . Just do it!
Still haven't got one reply for not going lol. You guys are making this an easy decision. I only have connections in Oregon and Florida and NY (Yonkers), I don't want to go to Florida, NY may be far fetched, Eugene might be the pick. Or maybe wait until It warms up and give you all a visit, and make my decision based on a decent sample size lol.

#31 · (Edited)
Zen
You know FL weather right now is perfect riding weather but the sweet curves are not really here unless you do a track day at Jennings , Moroso , Homestead Miami Speedway I am not sure if the last two day any track days in the winter month or not In addition .I do not think you would like Miami too much the west coast is so much calmer than the east coast .Also you better speak Spanish or you will feel that you are in a foreign country getting lost there sucks for a guy like me

#32 ·
Zen
You know FL weather right now is perfect riding weather but the sweet curves are not really here unless you do a track day at Jennings , Moroso , Homestead Miami Speedway I am not sure if the last two day any in the winter month or not In addition .I do not think you would like Miami too much the west coast is so much calmer than the east coast .Also you better speak Spanish or you will feel that you are in a foreign country getting lost there sucks for a guy like me
Lol it's true Spanish would help, I live in miami. You get the track down here=).

#33 ·
Well after being stationed in Socal for 5yrs the only thing that really stuck with me was the beaches and weather. The rest I could do without, I did something similar to what you did. I packed up my clothes mailed them home, put some stuff in a backpack and rode my CBR600RR from CA to MN to be back with family.

The ride across country was probably the coolest thing I have done, riding through CO was AWESOME!!! I have thought about moving to CO with one of my buddies who I used to be in the military with but I want to leave MN in March and go somewhere where I can ride year round.

One thing I will advise is try to find people in each state you ride through and see if you can meet up with people along the way to your destination. Once I got past the first day and a half on the bike I was starting to get a little crazy like when you have been up for too long and the dumbest things start to make you laugh lol.

I know how you feel though, I really dislike socal and I wouldn't be going there if it weren't for my GF. Once her lease is up hopefully her and I can move up north where the tracks are closer, the people are more realistic and the air is cleaner.

Good luck with your decision, this is what I will say.....life is too short to live in one place for your whole life and retirement is too late! After coming back to family I have nothing in common with them because I have been deployed around the world, seen things nobody has or very few have and to think I could be satisfied with my life in one place is just plain crazzzzzzyyyyyy!!!!!!

#34 ·
This will happen, I'm just making sure I do my hw and have patience, once it warms up (march?) I'm heading out. I'm hoping I can set up checkpoints with some of y'all

Btw saw a white Daytona tonight around 645 here in riverside ca off magnolia& Arlington. At first by the sound I thought it was someone riding off with my STR lol.

#39 ·
This will happen, I'm just making sure I do my hw and have patience, once it warms up (march?)
The weather may be improving here at that time, but it will still be complete shite in Oregon.

Btw saw a white Daytona tonight around 645 here in riverside ca off magnolia& Arlington. At first by the sound I thought it was someone riding off with my STR lol.
There's a guy with an R that works at the America's Tire Co., maybe it was him? I work in Riverside, if you're ever up for a ride before you split, hit me up.

#37 ·
Well in Oregon you will become a pretty good rider in the rain lol

Take the Pacific Coast Highway. You won't regret it.
Oh hands down!!! I can't wait to go on the PCH again......going back to CA in two weeks :coolgleamA:

I am taking the keys from my GF and driving the car down the PCH....might scare the crap out of her but I will have fun and in the end it will turn her on lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.