Triumph 675 Forums banner

Custom Built Full Exhaust On The Cheap

59K views 170 replies 61 participants last post by  up.left 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to do this for about a year now. I finally sold my Tyga setup a to fund this project. I also found the slip on slightly used on ebay for hella cheap compared to what they go for new. It's full stainless steel and TIG welded by a buddy of mine. My old roommate(I moved last weekend) Paul helped me with this project. He has built some very impressive stuff for his 99 Eclipse GSX so with his help this project was a pretty easy and cheap. I started with a stock header and this time around I wanted to not only get rid of the cat and exup like the last exhaust, but also the stock merge collector. I bought a 3-1 true merge collector kit from Cone Engineering. The kit in SS was very nice quality and only $41 bucks. I also got the merge bullets and tool to hold them in place when welding. It was just over $50 shipped. I emailed/called Rich @ Cone a few times and he was extremely helpful and I would recommend their stuff to anyone. On to the pictures!

Here is where we cut the stock header

The stock merge sucks

Turbo stars held in place by the tool they sell

We tacked it up with the MIG welder then brought everything to be TIG welded by a friend

Fully TIG'ed and mocked up

Roommate grinding away

Finished product

Installed on bike, fairing was not completely mounted back up and I ended up taking just a little more off the fairing for fitment but you get the idea. I moved last Saturday so unfortunately I have not had much time at all to mess with my bike.

I'm very happy with the finished project. It has a very low rumble at idle and really screams at wide open throttle. It's a lot quiter than my old Tyga setup. I will post up vids as soon as I remember which box I put my camera in. We also cut out a little bracket piece out of aluminum that uses one of the rear set bolts to help support it. Look's pretty trick and worked out great!

See less See more
#7 ·
does it heat up ur boot a lot? i love those shorty exhausts

#9 ·
That fairing cut doesn't look so hot, but good job still.

#11 ·
The pic was not the final cut, I went back and smoothed everything over. Those are just the most recent pics I have. Need to take new ones showing the bracket we made as well.

Thanks for the compliments guys!!!

#12 ·
This link below shows exactly what the tool is for:

http://www.coneeng.com/weld_on_collector_kit.html

The merge bullets are part #B3-1625-SS. You will need 3 of them, they do not come welded up, they are separate pieces. The tool to hold them together to weld them is only $2 bucks, part #TO-CL3B.

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/Bullets.pdf

The collector kit I got is part #CL3-163-SS. It is 2" to 1 5/8". The runners on the stock header are actually 1 1/2". My TIG welder had to do some mild pipe fitting to get everything lined up perfectly. It says on their website that the 2" to 1 1/2" is coming soon, and that one would be perfect for the stock header and even easier to weld up.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I am going to my old house today after work and I will pick that pipe piece up and mail it out asap!

#17 ·
#18 ·
Nice job, your bike looks sweet by the way. :cool2:

#19 ·
wheres the f***in vids :whistle:

#26 ·
Man you guys work quick! What tune are you running? I use the full arrow tune and it seems pretty damn good. The only time I get a flat spot around 5k is when its really hot and humid. It was like 65 this morning coming into work and my bike pulled like a raped ape. My idle gets a little funky too when its really hot out.

#27 ·
Thanks man! It is loud, but not as load as my last setup. This slip on has a much lower rumble to it. Sounds a lot meaner in my opinion.

And I know what you mean about dsm's...been wrenching on them damn things for about 8 years now. I no longer own one, but between my old roommate and I we've bought/parted/built/sold about 15 of them. I don't mind helping them wrench on theirs, but I got sick as hell of always working on mine. haha

#29 ·
Just tried the normal arrow tune, and it still did it... I took it around the block and at stops it idles fine. Put it in neutral and idles fine, shut it off and back on and still idled normal, so it must be when it cold only... It really doesn't make sense, though because it got to almost full temp before I took it out and was still idling high until I put a load on the engine.

My poor neighbors are probably sick of this little project. :biggrinjester:

#32 ·
Mine seems to idle really low for like the first minute when its completely cold. After that she purrs fine. I can't wait to get a good dyno tune. I found a shop called Fast Bikes about 80 miles from my house I plan on taking it to in Grand Rapids.

#46 ·
I was using the arrow tune for this and I was kind of disappointed. I just put on the [FLUX] tune and HOLY CRAP! It took like four tries to start it, but once it was running it ran great and pulled like a raped ape! I edited the map to correct the fueling and ignition at idle and it starts up straight away now, actually faster than it ever has.

This is the way our bikes are supposed to run. Thanks [FLUX]!! If anyone has trouble starting their bike with that tune, PM me your email and I can send this one over to ya.

#48 ·
Hmmm...wondering how that tune would be on my bike with the shorter exhaust....do you have any kind of flat spot around 5-6k? I do sometimes with the Arrow tune but it seems to only happen on really hot humid days.

#49 ·
Im into it for almost $170. After that it all depends on what slip-on I decide to use. The Arrow is approx $400 or Im looking at possibly doing a MotoGP style shorty exhaust that doesnt extend past the bodywork. We'll see what I can get worked out.

#55 ·
kegsdale

i saw that you were running the tyga pipe before. I'm planning and making a ful undertail system with this pipe.

question is how loud is this pipe. i know it's going to be loud, and i'm only using in on the track but i do have to be under a 104decebel limit

what's your thoughts?

thanks

#56 ·
kegsdale

i saw that you were running the tyga pipe before. I'm planning and making a ful undertail system with this pipe.

question is how loud is this pipe. i know it's going to be loud, and i'm only using in on the track but i do have to be under a 104decebel limit

what's your thoughts?

thanks
I ran mine with no cat or exup, and granted it was a short side exit, it was LOUD. I mean very loud. My new setup is still loud, but nothing near what the Tyga was. Here are a few clips I had of it at idle and revving. It should give you an idea. If I had to guess I would think it would be much louder than the 104 limit but not sure how they measure it.

http://www.youtube.com/kegsdale

Hope this helps!

#57 ·
These exhausts don't make any more power. They just get louder, from what my mechanic was telling me. He's dyno tuned hundreds of these exhausts on all bikes. If you want more power, get a full system by Leo, Akro, Arrow, or another huge manufacturer.

#58 ·
With a solid dyno tune I'd be willing to bet my current setup would make similar power as a big name full system. I wanted to get to the dyno this year but with moving and everything I did not have the time/money. It's on the list for first thing next spring though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.