Triumph 675 Forums banner

Oil Filter Leak ?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Wollongongwolf 
#1 ·
Hi, just a quick question. I have a 2012 Triple, no oil leak when I got it 6 months ago. 3500 kms on it. I did a service when I got it and has a slight weep around the oil filter I think. Did an oil change the other day, thought new filter it should be ok, still weeps. Bike only has 8000kms.
Do you think I may of over or under tightened it. I only hand tightened. Any advice or what other place it may be coming from?
Thanks

#4 ·
Hi thanks for your replays, I have a torque wrench but no attachment for it, didn't know there was one. Think the book says tighten to 2nm, but I just hand tighten like I would with a car. So yes just guessing. So I don't think it's ove tightened, so I may nip it up a little more?

#5 ·
Hand tight is never enough, Idk how your car isn't leaking.

You don't need a torque wrench. Hand tight plus a quarter turn should stop your issue.

Reactions: Wollongongwolf
#6 ·
Make sure the mounting surface is clean and no old pieces of the filter gasket are still on there. Use old oil to coat the new filter seal, hand tighten. If needed they sell a filter wrench attatchment at auto zone and places like that. I have never had to wrench it on, only off. I have a good grip and hand tighten nearly as tight as I can.

#8 · (Edited)
Ok will check the manual again, I have a poor memory, never had a car filter leak, surface was clean when placed new filter on. Was told if you over tighten they leak also. I will see if I can get an attachment for my torque wrench.
I also only ever hand tighten on my 76 Honda 550 Super Sport, never leaks.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't think you need to buy any attachments for your torque wrench. I mentioned it earlier because K&N filters have a 17mm nut on the end of their filters. That's why I brought it up, thinking maybe if you had gone down that road, maybe your wrench wasn't calibrated. Hand tight plus a little more should be enough, that's what I do and never had oil leaking .

#10 ·
Running your finger along the seal with some oil should prevent and bad things from happening when you tighten the oil filter. Then go ahead and put it on tight - maybe hand tight might be enough, but make sure it's your strong hand :) I've never seen people having issues with overtight filter. I have seen issues with filter not tight enough and leaking and drain bolts overtightened and stripped. So be more careful with the drain bolts torque setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.