Triumph 675 Forums banner

Street Triple Oil Leak

11K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
I will bring it back to dealer - but I wonder what is the part on the oil pan that I suspect leaking? Attached a picture. The red engine oil can bee seen around the metallic part in the picture. Not leaking from the hole itself but around it. What function does this part have and will it be OK to ride the bike even if it is dripping some oil? Perhaps a couple of cl over a week I can see on the floor.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is the coolant weep tube and if coolant is leaking it indicates a failing water/oil pump. It runs right through the sump and has 2 small o-rings sealing each end. If it's leaking oil from around the outside of the tube then one or both of those o-rings are probably leaking. It's okay to ride and wont leak much however eventually the sump will need to be removed and the o-rings replaced.

#3 ·
Thanks for the answer, not even the mechanic knew what it was when I called today. He said he never experienced this before.

I have not seen the sump disassembled and don't know how it is manufactured and how the tube is mounted. It seems you know more about it: Is it really necessary to replace the entire sump, was thinking perhaps only the o-rings are enough?

#4 ·
...not even the mechanic knew what it was...
Is it really necessary to replace the entire sump, was thinking perhaps only the o-rings are enough?
That's because some mechanics are idiots which I why I work on my own bike.

If the O-rings were bad it would be leaking oil, but if the water pump is bad then it will be leaking coolant. Need to determine exactly what it is leaking. Replacing the oil pump requires some mechanical skills whereas replacing the o-rings is pretty simple.

#9 ·
If the bike is new I would suspect the o-rings on the drain tube. If this is a new leak that just began and it's known it wasn't leaking before then it's most likely the oil pump. The o-rings on the drain tube will not just start leaking since there are no loving parts there and even from heat expansion will not wear them due to the design. So either they leak from the moment of installation or they aren't leaked by at all.

#12 ·
When I look at the leak the oil is dripping from underneath the sump near the kickstand (the oil is following the sump on the outside and drips on the left side of the bike). And since I see oil around the pipe (see picture) then I assume it is leaking from the O-rings. If it was leaking from inside the pipe, then oil will be directly under the pipe on the garage floor, but it is not. Anyway - the dealer will look at it next week. Just hope it is a minor issue.

#17 ·
Thanks, I will talk to the mechanic about this.

Today I wiped really clean and went for a ride, afterwards I checked and it seems that the oil is coming around the hole where the drain tube is fitted. This is the only place I can see oil.

I used a tiny cotton stick inside the tube but no oil could be seen on it, perhaps never any fault with the pump - just a waste of time replacing it.

#18 ·
Well there's also the possibility that the new o-rings were installed incorrectly. There are two on both ends of that drain pipe. If they were cut or if the bore in the sump had a scratch or maybe only one was fitted when there is suppose to be two then it will leak. They fit two on each end because of case expansion. One would seal when cold but when the cases get hot they expand enough that one o-ring would have tension on it anymore. I doubt the mechanic only put one on I'm just listing it as a remote possibility.

#19 ·
Hi, this is Mark from the UK. I have just purchased an ex demo April 2015 Street R. I was getting a smell from the engine every time I used it. The dealer said bring it in to check over. They seemed to notice oil under it instantly. Maybe they knew of the fault prior to me buying it. They have had the bike for a week now and will still have it into next. They said they might have to change to O rings. They have the parts to fix, whichever parts they maybe. I think from reading these posts the oil pump will need changing. Is this a problem with these bikes. Surely a week and half to change o rings is too long. Do they know they are in for a pump change hence long lead time to keep bike. They have also lent me their demo Scrambler. Not good for them to keep that away from potential customers all this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.