Triumph 675 Forums banner

2013 Daytona slipper clutch

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Hi there, just wondering if anyone out there has any photos or schematics of the Daytona slipper clutch? Specifically how it works. Just interested, that's all. I'm not taking mine to bits just to have a look! But would be interested to see the mechanism. I presume there's some sort of ramp on the inside of the pressure plate?

The diagrams in the manual don't really show much detail. Any info and/or pictures would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I know how a ramp style clutch works. I've had mine in bits before, an STM with the ball bearings on the ramps (on my previous 675). Not sure what the 636 clutch mechanism looks like. The stock R clutch is clearly a different mechanism, I understand it also locks up under drive load. Hence my inquisitiveness on this particular clutch mechanism. Nice one Mac, would be great to see some actual pictures, perhaps you can get a couple of close ups of the key areas/bits?
Thanks again.

#5 ·
The 636 also used the slip assist style clutch. They have ramps in both directions one set to tighten the clutch and one to spread it. It's just like a normal slipper but also works when torqued from acceleration to tighten the clutch to prevent slippage. This way they can also use less spring force making it easier to use the clutch.

#6 ·
Yes the press release stuff mentioned that. That's why it only has three springs and a light action. The STM had a big hub in the center riding on ball bearing ramps at the base/inside the basket.
The only image I've seen of the Triumph one apart is in the factory manual. It's not visible in those images what, or how, the actual mechanism works. Just wondering if it's ally on ally? That would be recipe for wear I'd have thought? Anyway, hopefully we'll get some some good pics from you Mac. Cheers.

#8 ·
Awesome, thanks Mac. The manual doesn't show any of those workings.
Those angles look very steep, compared to the STM one, which has an extremely shallow ramp angle. I would think it would take a fair load to make it slip? Also the aluminium on aluminium faces look like they might wear significantly. Time will tell I guess.
I'll get to see how much force it takes to make it slip when winter ends and we get into our season down here. Not had the 13R on track yet.
Thanks again, couldn't have asked for more than that.

#9 ·
We'll both see. That hub and play is a junk one I have. I got a brand new set off eBay for super cheap then bought a complete used pack (worn) for a bit more. Combining them I have a very good set. The worn unit doesn't show any wear on the ramps. Just where someone slipped the clutch so much they worn the clutch disc friction areas.

I was planning on polishing the ramps to reduce wear and improve performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.