Will You Buy New GoPro Drone, hero 5?

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  up.left 
#1 · (Edited)
Removed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
No.

Too many other (perhaps better) options now. GoPro video has always been a pain in the behind to edit if you want to do something other than just dump it up to youtube. Other companies are offering more features for the buck.

x

#4 ·
No.

Too many other (perhaps better) options now. GoPro video has always been a pain in the behind to edit if you want to do something other than just dump it up to youtube. Other companies are offering more features for the buck.

x
Agreed - and I'm a GoPro user. I just bought a GitUp Git2 yesterday, these guys had gyro stabilization a year ago. If you need to have pro-quality video, then yeah, GoPro is king of the hill, despite it's pain-in-the-azz user interface. But for just about every common person out there that is just making home vids, or uploading to You-Tube, there are a couple options that are extremely close in quality, and less than 1/2 the price.

#5 ·
Nope. I will never own a GoPro. I've always hated their form factor and their proprietary mounting system. Other companies had better design and just as good video but were crushed by the GoPro giant.

My iPhone takes Hollywood movie quality video if I really need high end. Otherwise my contour roam still kicks out video that satisfies.

#7 ·
#10 ·
Probably going to buy the Hero 5 session for track use. I like the mounting, rugged case and small footprint. Video settings are much better on this one. Sucks I can Bluetooth my sena unit to it for street riding but my hero 3 silver with sena backpack does fine for that. Most people watch youtube in 720 anyway to speed upload times.

#15 ·
I was at the DJI mavic launch this morning. Man, what a rig. Loads if features.

How did GoPro respond? By having their stock price drop by 5%... just saying...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I was at the DJI mavic launch this morning. Man, what a rig. Loads if features.

How did GoPro respond? By having their stock price drop by 5%... just saying...
I am not terribly concerned by this.

Yes, I think a lot of people were let down by the lack of features offered by the Karma. However, "more than a drone"..albeit, a bit misleading..means that the Karma is the introduction of a "system" for existing GoPro owners. Systems make money, especially when they are produced by a strong brand name like GoPro. I work in power tool's for a living, and Festool (high end wood working) does just that. Head to head, yes, the Mavic is a better drone, unfortunately, it doesn't appeal to the GoPro camera market because it requires the use of their camera. Fine as it may be, it does not produce the same quality as a GoPro. Also, slightly different price point Karma @ $799, Mavic @ $999 for the comparable model. I don't put much faith in the CEO of GoPro, but I have to agree that I don't think the "follow me" feature is up to par, and that is the main selling point over the GoPro in my opinion.

I am holding my GoPro stock, as of today, I am up 15% from my buy in @ 14.90/share. GoPro can only go up from here as far the fourth quarter is concerned with a brand new line up to bring in revenue. I likely won't hold beyond on that, unless the numbers from the 4th are shocking.

That said, to replace my GoPro stock, I have my eyes on AMBA, the company producing the chips for both the Karma, DJI, and many others in the drone market.

#20 ·
The Mavic performs a 100 times better than the Karma. The battery life, stability, flight sensors, and actual side by side speed are not even comparable. Even if i had a go pro which i sold, i would still buy the mavic. Nothing about the go system is anything further than a non user friendly marketing gimmick imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.