Triumph 675 Forums banner

What did you do to your Street Triple today?

1M views 7K replies 630 participants last post by  Joe Garfield 
#1 ·
I installed the rest of my frame sliders from motovation. Got the front, rear and engine ones done... and did the rim tape yesterday :)

Attachments

See less See more
#6,312 ·
Found and installed the perfect tail bag

Wolfman M803 tailbag off evilbay. I thought it was the perfect size, shape (tapered to same angle of rear seat) and even mounts to seatpan like a champ! Took less than 5 minutes to fit. 8 liters expandable to 11 liters. Looks so much better than my old tail bag.

#6,316 ·
Ordered the full Motodemic single headlight conversion (low), windscreen and EVO2 headlight from Motodemic the day before yesterday. Also put some Napoleon mirrors on order to replace the stockers:

Hopefully will see these parts show up in the next week so I can get to wrenching. Going to remove stock flyscreen and seat cowl, hopefully resell and recoup some of my cost. My bikes are always a work in progress, whenever I've gotten a bike to where I feel it's "done" I sell it and start over, it's a sickness, haha!

Dan

#6,319 ·
Fitted some Pazzo levers. I couldn't resist doing it a bit cheezy though. Went with white levers and red adjusters. Ah, what the heck, it's a toy.

#6,322 ·
I've only just fitted them to the Streety. And I've had them my long suffering '08 Sprint ST since very late fall. Haven't put many miles on them, but I got along alright with the Sprint. I like the clutch adjusted to very short throw to engage. And I have good feel, and strength, with my primary 2 fingers on it. So that may help.

#6,323 ·
Installed some Woodcraft 1.5" riser clipons in place of the Speed Triple R bars I had on previously. Took a quick spin up the Crest and I immediately loved the new position. More feel up front and feels great when tipped over at speed.

Attachments

#6,328 · (Edited)
Today I just rode to work as usual, but couple weeks ago was finally able to get the bike dyno tuned after all the mods (k&n air filter, decat headers, sc project exhaust, pcv, and new intake screen). The dyno was done with the pcv having had a generic map previously installed. The total gain was 10hp and the bike feels smooth as butter.

No more snatchy throttle when decelerating or cruising between 5 and 6k rpms. :grin2:

Rode without baffle (as dynoed) for a day but went back to putting the baffle back in since it was way louder than I'm comfortable with.

#6,329 ·
Very nice on the dyno... It's amazing how much smoother the bikes are from idle to redline. Almost felt slower till I quickly had to realize how much faster the bike flew to the rev limiter. Enjoy!!

#6,332 ·
Almost felt slower till I quickly had to realize how much faster the bike flew to the rev limiter.
:nod: Yup, the revs seem to ramp up much faster :coolgleamA:

For the decatted headers, what all did you have done and by whom?
I drilled out a hole roughly 1.5" in diameter through the catalytic converter using a 12" long 1/2" drill bit, long flat-head screw driver, and a hammer. Takes time and LOTS of patience, but it works and it's FREE :thumbsup:.

#6,331 ·
Came home for lunch and since it was nice decided to take the bike back to work for the first time since before I had shoulder surgery in October. Since it was there in the daylight I snapped a couple pics of the newly added Motodemic headlight conversion:

Felt great being back on the road, have only maybe put 20 miles on it since October and that is a shame:frown2:

Dan

#6,335 ·
The light output is fantastic. I wasn't sure that replacing two lights with one was going to be a lighting "upgrade", and the initial sticker shock for "just a headlight" made me squirm a little. But now that it's all done, installed (which was really easy btw), I couldn't be happier. Would definitely do it over again.

A few more pictures I took today after removing the red "R" panels. Have my bars ends drying from flat black plasti dip treatment, not sure what I'll do next.

Low gauge cluster setup is easier to see imho than stock, which was something I was worried about prior to the conversion. They also offer a bar attachment to move the cluster on top of the bar clamps, but I think this looks better and visibility is no issue:

Dan

#6,336 ·
Upgraded the front brake master cylinder on my non-R to a Brembo radial master cylinder from a Speed Triple R. Wow!

Reactions: JonBon3
#6,337 ·
Just checked valve clearances and timing on my 14 striple.

At 17k miles both were within spec- I'll be honest and admit it, I am pretty relieved by that, as I was not really looking forward to adjusting either. Being me, I would have done it myself (and this is the first time ever I even had to check either) and I know for a fact it would have been a project.

I do have a service manual and tried to follow it, however, I found that a couple of times a few extra steps were needed.

For instance, induction coils on cylinders 1 and 3 would have very poor clearances upon being pushed up for removal- I had to remove a couple of brackets to makes things easier.

Then of course when it comes to removing the camshaft cover, 4 of the 6 bolts that secure it to the head have incredibly low clearances from none other than the frame. I used a low profile ratchet to take them off, but now that I need to torque them to 10 Nm for putting things back together, I have clearance issues. Ball tip hex bit socket is the way to go as it lets you come under an angle but I already skipped a few times and bolts started stripping. Not happy at all with that.

Also, all valve clearances on exhaust camshaft are a royal pain if not impossible with radiator on (something the manual conveniently fails to mention) so I had to detach radiator from its brackets and push it down so I can get to the valve buckets.

Started to put things back together and before I reinstalled the camshaft cover I said to myself I would give it a light cleaning, including the reed valves that were still attached. Glad I did it as the single reed valve was broken, now I have to order a new one before putting things together.

#6,338 ·
Took a page out of Knolly's book. Mounted some FAR Viper bar end mirrors. I was kicking ideas around with my father and he cut me some customer spacers to get a bit more purchase on the OEM Street Triple R bars.

Attachments

#6,339 ·
Did some electrical work too. Put in the Triumph LED flasher/relay kit to slow down the blink rate for the Rizoma rear indicators. I'm very disappointed that I had to run a ground wire for it. I was really hoping it would be plug-and-play, but it wasn't bad. I ran an SAE tail under the cowl to make plugging the bike to a Battery Tender easier. And I fitted the wiring, and mount, for my Zumo 390. The picture is a little deceiving it doesn't block the instruments while in a proper sitting position. I was getting too much flash off the screen at a higher angle.

Attachments

#6,348 · (Edited)
Thanks! I bought it used from a guy in Seattle and he had it done at a local paint shop.

In other news, I installed a BMC air filter and I bit the bullet and ordered an SC Project CR-T exhaust from Motovation. So hopefully that will show up in the next week or two. Here are some pictures of the air filter install:

During:

Installed:

I haven't had a chance to ride the bike with the new filter due to poor weather, a common theme in Spokane during this time of year, but I don't anticipate noticing all that much of a difference. I got a great deal on it and figured it's reusability would be worth it.

#6,347 ·
Replaced the rear cush hub bearing and seal, fitted a SuperSprox Stealth red 49 tooth 520 rear sprocket, 15 tooth 520 front sprocket, and DID VX2 gold/black 520 chain. Checking the front wheel bearings tomorrow and then ordering some fresh rubber when I get paid! Probably going with PP3s as I've run the Q3s the past two tire sets and can't seem to get more than 6k out of them :whistle:

#6,349 · (Edited)
Looking good. However, I would look into two things before putting things back and riding it.

1. Make sure that torn corner does not leak when filter is installed. Easily fixable if it does I suspect.

2. My K&N requires oiling the filter. That's how it traps dirt and other particles in the air, they stick to the oil film. It is important, as the K&N is muck more permissive, not only to the air, but to the particles in the air its suppose to filter. Without the oil, all sorts of junk would find its way in the cylinders that otherwise would not.
Not sure about BMCs, and if it does, it is hard to say from your picture if the filter is already oiled.

Lastly- I hope I do not come through as nosy, but I just cannot help it: what's up with the unoccupied college dormy bunk in the background lol?

#6,350 ·
The torn corner looks bad, thanks for your observation. I noticed it before I put everything back together and Super-glued it back down to the actual frame of the filter. The picture doesn't show it well, but it is indeed oiled.

As for the unoccupied bed, there's quite a story behind that. The short version is that I live in a two-bedroom suite with two of my friends. Since the dorm holds 4 people, a random person joined our room. He was in possession of some drug paraphernalia and our RA caught him with it right before Christmas break. That is grounds to be kicked out of on-campus housing, which is exactly what the school ended up doing. So my friend who lived in the same room as the old roommate said it was okay for me to keep the bike in there. Spokane has really bad theft, so keeping the bike inside helps me sleep at night. :biggrinjester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.