Triumph 675 Forums banner

New Exhaust Option - Chain Reaction Moto

9K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  nelson 
#1 ·
For those of you looking for an aftermarket exhaust, there may be another option soon. If any of you are familiar with the speed triple, you may have heard of the Chain Reaction kit from Bob Floyd in Nevada. I have been at a stand still with the exhaust options for the street after waiting in the IXIL system to begin distribution in the U.S. Finally, I got fed up and emailed Chain Reaction Moto and asked if they were planning a kit for the street triple. Bob called me back the same day and said he had been waiting for someone to reach out to him about this bike. I have since sent him my stock mufflers w/ mid-pipe so he could mock up the system. I am looking to get the 1st prototype kit back from him in the near future (hopefully in a week or so) where I will put it on the bike and take some pics for Bob so he can make some final adjustments for the final kit. I am pretty sure he is working only on the slip-on style kit, not a low mount w/ header system.

Take a look at the website. He used to have a sound clip of the speed triple on the site and it was by far the best sounding and looking system out there in my opinion. He is still working on the site I think so the sound clip isn't available right now but I will try to get a hold of it.

http://www.chainreactionmoto.com/

#4 ·
I would email Chain Reaction and spread the word around and it wouldnt surprise me if it got enough support he might go ahead and build one. He has built a custom header system for the speed triple in the past but I guess there wasnt enough interest in it.

#5 ·
I've been emailing Bob for the past month about a low mount. He said the 90 degree turn up is hard to incorporate a slip on low mount. I'm not familiar with the arrow but I guess the header makes this easier.

I may just buy a low mount black muffler and have a muffler shop work with me on it...I think the black low mount is insane.

#7 ·
I ride with a guy here in NZ that has the twin gunmetal/matt black set on his Speedtriple (also matt black) and they look sh#t hot and sound even better!

I've only just switched from Fireblades to a 675 (its still in transit from Canada - stolen/recovered bike) but are already gathering parts to mod it like my old blades and cars have been. Apart from the Shark system, a set of these pipes would be an interesting option.

Not so sure if they will fill out the underside of the tail enough though.

#9 ·
I ride with a guy here in NZ that has the twin gunmetal/matt black set on his Speedtriple (also matt black) and they look sh#t hot and sound even better!

I've only just switched from Fireblades to a 675 (its still in transit from Canada - stolen/recovered bike) but are already gathering parts to mod it like my old blades and cars have been. Apart from the Shark system, a set of these pipes would be an interesting option.

Not so sure if they will fill out the underside of the tail enough though.
I'd like to see that too... I'm thinking it would be wide enough and can't look any worse than that three pipe Ixil setup. :whistle:

#14 ·
Took my first ride with the CRM installed, holy cow is it loud. I need me the baffles quick before I go deaf.
I love the sound but it is a bit loud for my taste.
Any takes on how much the baffle cuts it down?

I can't yet post in the classifieds section but if some one has the Striple -08-12 CRM Baffle they want to sell, please send me a PM

#15 ·
I was wondering if it wouldn't be loud as sin. The design of the cans is small. What does the company charge for the baffles? In my experience with baffles, it generally cuts sound down between 35%-45%. Very scientific stuff right there.

#17 ·
The company charges around 60$ for the baffles, the sound is okay for the most part but the loudest between 5-7k RPM's. I may be okay with ear plugs but can't imagine going on rides longer than 30 mins without a dB reduction.

I am going to reach out to their Sales guys Steven who is pretty awesome and see if he can cut me a good deal

#16 ·
The baffles cut the sound down significantly.
You do lose a lot of the throaty deep sound though. I ended up drilling some of the holes bigger in the baffle to make it a little louder and deeper.

Looks like $60 for a baffle from CRM. :S Used to be like $25 if you bought the exhaust.

Snoopy - if you are going to keep the passenger pegs, there are some threads around about using gixxer pegs instead of the stock ones (the bump in them looks silly with a low exhaust).

Scott

#20 ·
To follow up, the baffles should be arriving today.
Out of curiosity I tried to gauge the sound level in my garage (probably should have done it in the driveway, but due to torrential downpour had to settle in the garage)

Here are the numbers CRM GP Exhaust without baffles
Max : 104 dB
Average : 93 dB
Peak : 97 dB

That for me is plenty loud and I can't wait for the baffles to go in.
Any one else have any opinions on the CRM GP Exhaust +/- baffles

#21 ·
The baffle is well worth it. I rode all last year without one as CRM stopped making them for a while and even with earplugs in it was loud. I've had my baffle in all season this time, and now the wind noise at highways speeds is louder than the exhaust. I took out the baffle for my track days last weekend and forgot how good it sounded and loud it was, ha ha. I got a lot of compliments on the sound from the other guys on the track.

#23 ·
Wrapping baffles with muffler packing?

I installed the baffles which have reduced the sound to a tolerable level but without the earplugs it can still get loud in tight surroundings and smaller streets, I usually don't have my ear plugs in for my regular 15 min ride to work.
I was wondering if any one has experimented with wrapping the baffles with muffler packing like the FMF 4 stroke muffler packing (fiberglass cloth?)
Any other recommendations to reduce the sound.

I am guessing with the baffle +/- wrapped in fiberglass the low end would be good but the top end would suffer a bit, which I think for street riding is plenty good. Not sure if the tracks here in new england would allow me to ride the bike with the baffles out, will have to check with tech inspection.

#24 ·
hi guys,

i have the CRM low boy on my street triple. I might have to move to Cali and was wondering if I'll have issues with emissions and inspections since I had to cut the header to install. Can anyone from Cali chime in? Need to know if I need to find new headers and install the stock pipes or get the full arrow exhaust system, or sell the bike...i dont know!:laugh2: thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.