TRIUMPH / DAYTONA 675 2006-2009
TRIUMPH / STREET TRIPLE 2006-2009

Manufacturer: TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLES AMERICA LTD
Mfr's Report Date: SEP 05, 2012

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V445000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR/REGULATOR

Potential Number of Units Affected: 10,366

Summary: Triumph is recalling certain model year 2006-2009 Street Triple, Street Triple R, and Daytona 675 motorcycles. The regulator/rectifier can overheat and prevent the motorcycle from charging. Once the battery is fully discharged, the motorcycle may stall.

Consequence: If the motorcycle stalls, there is an increased risk of a crash leading to personal injury.

Remedy: Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the regulator/rectifier, free of charge. Triumph has not provided notification schedule. Owners may contact Triumph customer service department at 1-678-854-2010.

Notes: Owners may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny this is the exact reason I told the instructor at the Triumph school. He was saying it wasn't really a safety problem. I told him what if the bike dies in the middle of the freeway or a high speed corner. He thought it was a good point. He's since been let go from Triumph who knows why.

#3 ·
Consequence: If the motorcycle stalls, there is an increased risk of a crash leading to personal injury.
This interesting. There was a service bulletin to fix these as well. I guess it has reached recall severity. Mine failed last Monday leaving me with a non-functioning bike while on the highway. Lucky for me I managed to get off the highway safely. Had it replaced by the dealer on Friday and everything works fantastically.

Moral of the story: If you're bike is in this category - SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT NOW.

#10 ·
This recall has come just in time...

This recall has come just in time... My friend invited me to his house up in the hills. It was a beautiful day yesterday here in Perth, Western Australia. Decided to take the Triumph Daytona 675 for a spin. Unfortunately 12 minutes into the ride, I was doing about 90km / hr when suddenly the gauges went all crazy (like a photon torpedo had just hit me on star trek, i lost shields, then i lost all power...) in a nut shell.
There is nothing like breaking down out in the middle of no where... my save and grace is that i am just glad it happened during the daylight hours. I'd hate for it to have happened at night time as its out in the middle of no where.... I've also learned now to pack a small tool kit and place it on my bike somewhere (anywhere!). Trying to work on your bike with 1x allen key sucked @#$#@!!! After checking all the fuses, found the fuse that caused the issue under my seat. Replaced the fuse with a working 30A spare one, then proceeded to hook the battery up. As soon as i hooked the second terminal up, smoke started billowing out of the middle of the bike. I quickly un-plugged the battery and waited for the smoke to dissipate. On that note, i had to look at calling a tow truck. I had to upgrade my membership to the highest on RAC to get a tow truck to come and see me. It was either that or pay a tow truck $150 for a once off pick up. I'd rather pay the upgraded membership and have coverage all year.

Anyway, on that note, its public transport *shudder* for god knows how long... At a guess, i reckon it rectifier. To replace these parts here in Aus, its like $1700 in Australia last i checked! OUCH! (thats for the strata and strata rectifier, and labour)

P.S Bike is Triumph Daytona 675 2007 late Model with approx 55,000 km on it.
Cheers.

#12 ·
I got a new one from the dealer with the upgraded bracket, wiring harness, and new style R/R. I gave them my old Ricks units even though it still worked. Because its free and I would rather have the triumph upgrade done with the relocation bracket to move the R/R away from the engine.

#13 · (Edited)
So I just bought a used '07 with almost 15K miles. I figured if the R/R hadn't gone by now, maybe it never will. I kinda ran it hard one night and the next morning it wouldn't start. I swapped batteries - it's the same battery as the 1199 Panigales at work. I rode around at night and it seemed like the headlights were dimming, and the Dash was definitely dimming. Back at work we tested the charging system and determined it was not the alternator and that it was probably the R/R. So I called Pete's Cycle in Baltimore, they checked my VIN, and said there was indeed a recall for that part. I dropped it off Monday, they said it'd take a week. I'll update next week then.

UPDATE: Picked up the bike a week later (yesterday). Everything is fine so far.

#14 ·
Man, wish I knew about this. I have an '07. Last summer I broke down on the side of the road, dead cell phone, dont remember any numbers because they are all in said dead phone. I eventually got home and got my trailer, towed it home, swapped out the R/R with one that can handle more heat. Sounds like I could of had it done under recall. Too late, I'm just glad it didnt happen on the race track. Def get this part swapped out if you haven't already.

#15 ·
If I order the OEM part through BikeBandit, which orders directly from Triumph, I should end up with the latest R/R, correct? They are saying about three weeks total processing time.

Is the new R/R just a rebranding of something available (quicker) from somewhere else?

If I don't go with the new OEM version, what R/R is just as good or better that is easy plug and play and remains in same position in front of the rear shock and where can I order it from? I did read the other, older thread on R/R issues. Since this recall occurred after much of what was written in that thread, I'm looking for new information.

I've changed too many batteries, but haven't been stranded yet. Dealer wants me to park bike at their shop and call me back when part comes in. That is probably a one month ordeal so I'm doing it myself.

Thanks,

ride675
2007 Daytona 675

#17 ·
Weird question. Everywhere I have read says this is for 06-09 models but my 2011 vin comes back needing this recall done. Checked both Canadian and American Triumph sites as well as the government site. The dealer said their info says to replace it too. So they are ordering the parts and calling back for an appointment.

Then I got concerned and thought maybe I was somehow scammed into an older Daytona masked as a 2011 but all vin readers say 2011. That would also be a lot of work for a scam netting little extra cash.

Anyone every heard of this?

#19 ·
Even the first post in this thread says 06-09. The very title says it. As does every listing for the recall.
Just because the recall wasn't issue until later doesn't mean they didn't fix the problem on newer models. Takes a lot of failing to require a recall but only a little to warrant a change in manufacturing.

#20 · (Edited)
The reason I know they didn't fix it right away is because I was working at the dealership at the time. Whoever posted through 09 is straight up wrong. I was at the Tiger 800 school in the spring of 2010 and at that time they were still choosing to ignore the issue. I told the instructor that I felt it was a safety issue. All it takes is a bike to die in the middle of the freeway during rush hour and the rider to get hit and killed and you'll have a major lawsuit on your hands. He said I had a good point.

I'm not sure wh y the NHTSA reports even lists years because Triumph documents did not. Just vins as some bikes were through some years and others though a different set of years. It was very dependent on the specific model and production location. The only thing consistent was the vin range.

#21 ·
The triumph site also says 06-09 but my vin says it needs the recall. Super misleading, I've heard about the recall for a while but everywhere said older models so I never looked into it. Today for some reason I just decided to run the vin.
I also never got any recall notices.

Is the only symptom charging issues? I haven't seemed to notice any problems at all

#22 ·
There may be no symptoms until it fails. At which point it could short out burn up part of the wiring harness and stator and even one rectifier I know of nearly caught on fire. So if your vin is in the range (ignore the year range it's not relevant) get it replaced immediately.

#23 ·
Hi all,

I have an 07 Daytona 675, which was covered in the recall. However, I am having ongoing issues with regulator failures.

1. Bought the bike in the UK, in 09. First regulator failed shortly after purchase, prior to the recall. Paid for a replacement.
2. Had bike serviced by a triumph dealer who replaced that unit free of charge under the service notice /recall process.
3. Have since moved to live in HK, bought the bike with me. Unfortunately there is no Triumph dealer. Found a local bike shop who seem pretty competent. Over the last 2 years, I've had to replace two more regulators, an alternator and two batteries. Getting expensive and frustrating.

Any advice on what to look for to resolve seemingly systematic electrical faults ?

Cheers,

Carey

#26 ·
It's more likely the vin number had the recal filed against it already. If you don't have the updated unit call Triumph customer service and they can tell you if it was suppose to have been done already. If so then you can negotiate getting it replaced while you have them on the phone already.

#29 ·
Comes out from under the rock

Hi everyone,
I just found this, and my bike ('09 Street 675R) just stopped running. Got a new battery last weekend, it died before I could leave the neighborhood. Makes for a shorter push home. Will check out the recall at my local dealer and hope this is the only problem.
Cheers.
-K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.