Triumph 675 Forums banner

shifting through gears

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  upinsmoke 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Figured I'd ask how do you all up shift? I noticed some people dont depress the clutch lever all the way to shift, it seems like all they do is get past the friction zone where the clutch disengages and then they up shift. Is this proper shifting technique or should I be depressing the clutch lever all the way to the bottom before I up shift? I've always depressed the clutch all the way before I shift up but I may be doing unnecessary work.

Thanks all.

#2 ·
No, you don't need to disengage the clutch fully to up shift. You don't really need to use the clutch at all. You just need to unload the transmission momentarily. If you preload the shifter, the tranny will easily click into the next higher gear when you blip the throttle quickly.

A short pull on the clutch lever at the same time can make it smoother until you get the hang of it, but it isn't essential.

Reactions: mikego_34
#3 ·
If you don't know how to do clutchless upshifts stick with the clutch.

Reactions: mikego_34
#4 ·
I am definitely sticking with shifting with the clutch. If the clutch is at its upper most position (not being depressed at all) the clutch is fully engaged. At about 1/4 of a pull from its upper most position it seems like the clutch has disengaged completely (no power being transmitted to gearing) . What i'm asking is basically can I shift safely without going past maybe 1/2 the way of the clutch being fully depressed? By the way thanks to both half fast rider and glocken as you guys are usually some of the first to respond to my threads.

#6 ·
Learn to preload the shifter just prior to the gear change. The tranny will shift as soon as load is removed, and it doesn't take much of a clutch pull to do that.

Practice-practice-practice and it will become a very simple and fluid action.

#7 ·
Learn to preload the shifter just prior to the gear change. The tranny will shift as soon as load is removed, and it doesn't take much of a clutch pull to do that.
OP this is also how you clutchless up shift as well sans the clutch. If you do what half mentioned with the clutch, doing it without will be the same thing.

I actually never preload my shifter clutch or non clutch. I've actually had that bite me in the ass for the first time; went into a phantom gear and almost banged the limiter before getting into gear.

#8 ·
I imagine its best to pull the lever in all the way to fully disengage the engine from the drive train because unless you're doing some racing or something, why wouldn't you pull it in all the way? I could see someone potentially ruining parts in their engine as a result from barely pulling the lever enough and grinding the transmission/clutch. Just my .02

#9 ·
Prime, it does no harm to the clutch or tranny. Essentially this is doing manually what a quick-shifter does. Any shift that isn't smooth, whether using the clutch or not, puts a jerk into the drive train and might create a little wear, but it's probably harder on the chain and sprockets than anything else.

#11 ·
You just have to get it past the point where it disengages. I have mine set up where the engaging point is close to where the clutch lever is fully released; that way I only have to press the clutch lever slightly to change gears. In the end, it is personal preference but it allows me to shift very quickly. I bet I can match the quick shifter easily :)

#12 ·
I don't doubt your quick, but there's no way you can shift as fast as the QS. I always did clutchless shifting on my old bike, and was quite fast at it, but its nothing like the QS.

#15 ·
stick with what you know

as pointed out in wisdom, using a clutch is optional once you get rolling but if you don't know how keep using the clutch until you can ween yourself off it. try doing it slowly at first, 3rd gear low rpm, let off the gas and pop up a gear then reapply gas. you will feel a very strong "CHUNK" noise and will be fully engaged in the new gear. when you get it down go up through all gears low rpms and speed...then do opposite to take it back down....as you learn the feel you can increase speed/rpms until you to are a clutchless bastard>:). power on

#18 ·
I agree in a car, a manual is way more fun. But I have to say, the QS is SOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!! lol

#20 ·
As I have a quickshifter it's a moot point for me, but I have repeatedly been told by those with more experience than I that upshifting does not require use of the clutch on a modern-day motorcycle. They tell me no harm is done whatsoever by not employing the clutch. However, on downshifting, these same people tell me you must use the clutch (unless you;re lucky enough to have a current BMW S1000RR, which I hear also supports downshifts without manually employing the clutch :)

But, as others have said, if you do use the clutch to upshift, you only need to pull it in far enough to disengage the plates, any further buys you nothing.

#21 ·
As I have a quickshifter it's a moot point for me, but I have repeatedly been told by those with more experience than I that upshifting does not require use of the clutch on a modern-day motorcycle. They tell me no harm is done whatsoever by not employing the clutch. However, on downshifting, these same people tell me you must use the clutch (unless you;re lucky enough to have a current BMW S1000RR, which I hear also supports downshifts without manually employing the clutch :)

But, as others have said, if you do use the clutch to upshift, you only need to pull it in far enough to disengage the plates, any further buys you nothing.
The only time I use the clutch is wheelies and coming to a complete stop. QS upshifts, blip the throttle on downshifts. No clutch.

#24 ·
I clutchless down shifted a few times by accident. All low rpms but I didn't like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.