Triumph 675 Forums banner

Maybe the Street Triple 800 isnt going to be a good thing...thoughts?

25K views 82 replies 44 participants last post by  Buddy 
#1 ·
So I was just thinking about the street triple 800. The relationship between the daytona and the STR was one of the main reasons I bought a street triple. Tons of stuff from the from the 675 bolts right on to my STR, right down to the complete motor. When they make the move to the 800 I fear the development of the Street Triple will suffer.

Triumph will constantly keep developing the Daytona being its only Sport bike and huge popularity. Most of that technology trickles down to us lowly Street triple riders. Triumph can easily extract more power out of the street triple to keep it competitive. Hell, I put daytona cams in my 12 and it'll eat 600's and fz's on the track all day long. Also if the Street triple 800 motor feels lazy like the tiger 800 just kill me now... Thoughts?

#2 ·
I believe they will offer a Daytona 800 eventually. Makes sense since MV has done it. Just my thoughts.

I'd rather have an 800 version. 140-150hp would be perfect with the daytona frame/geometry. I don't want or need full literbike power. The street triple 800 won't be lazy. No designer in their right mind would just slap the tiger's version of the 800 in it.

#7 ·
Triumph will do away with the 675 for the 800. The plan where I read from MCN was 115bhp for the standards and 125bhp for the "XR" I think they're calling it. It'll behave nothing like the MV either. More focusing on low and mid range than top end . I personally think the Triumph will be a better motor than the MV. I did a good 150 mile test ride on a 800 Brutale a while back and liked it. It behaved more like a track bike. All up top. Tame till around 9k where it would almost break grip and try to kill you..:grin2:
The new 800 will most likely ride like a Speed Triple with a serious weight loss which would be outright spot on. Expect " Motorcycle Of The Year" type of hype.

However with that said my 675R isn't going anywhere. If anything I'll do the Daytona cam. I have a pretty good bond with my Triple.

#9 ·
I don't get the idea of 800cc class. If 600 is too small for you, which it isn't for 90% of the people, go buy a liter bike. There are bazillions of those available in every color shape and size.

If and when I am ready to get something bigger than STR, I will just get a Super Duke R. If I am going to pay price of big size bike, insurance of big size bike and handling of big size bike, then I am going to ride a big size bike.

#11 ·
I don't get the idea of 800cc class. If 600 is too small for you, which it isn't for 90% of the people, go buy a liter bike. There are bazillions of those available in every color shape and size.

If and when I am ready to get something bigger than STR, I will just get a Super Duke R. If I am going to pay price of big size bike, insurance of big size bike and handling of big size bike, then I am going to ride a big size bike.
Because some of us want a bit more power, but not the full on jump to 180hp+ to a literbike. Literbikes do nothing for me. I don't want that much power. The GSXR 750 motor is about exactly what I want, but the rest of the bike isn't.

#10 ·
If you can get an 800cc power plant inside a frame/chassis like the 675s and keep the rolling weight within an additional 10 or so lbs, that'd be the reason to own one. MV can do it without any real weight penalty, so I'm sure Triumph could.

A 425lb bike with 130 at the rear wheel would simply slay! A 460lb bike with same hp, not so much.

#14 ·
so you guys are saying theyre going to do away with the 675 all together and build a 800 daytona? If they just stroke it, It'll be lazy as hell. Granted more torque but still lazy. Daytonas can be modded up to around 130 hp so why cant they do it from the factory? I dont care what the displacement is. I want a 130hp bike that weighs 400 pounds and makes power like the current Daytona.

#15 ·
I can answer this. It's simple. Numbers and paper. If the numbers look that good on paper on the bike reviews they'll sell a lot more of them. It's merely fact. If they kept it as a 675 even with more power the reviewers will dog it as an old bike. Bump it up a few ccs and hype it up as a new design? Hmmmm . Numbers and paper.

#17 ·
None of us NEED more power on the street. Most middleweight sport bikes , all mid weight sport bikes ,cannot be ridden to their full potential by the average rider anyway.

Unless your rossi or Marquez. ...but, be realistic about your own skill level.

I will never even reach the full potential of my damn tires much less the bike.....on the street anyway.

#24 ·
They should just pony up and make a Street Triple 11,000,000. With BSTs, cruise control, adjustable rearsets, center stand, adjustable bubble screen, quickshifter, Ohlins and air conditioning. Oh... and heated grips. In addition, being all bluetoof compatible using organic gluten-free bacon scented non-GMO vegan Corinthian leather materials, of course. Then we'd all be happy and the FZ09 comparisons would finally go away.

:biggrinjester:

#25 ·
They should just pony up and make a Street Triple 11,000,000. With BSTs, cruise control, adjustable rearsets, center stand, adjustable bubble screen, quickshifter, Ohlins and air conditioning. Oh... and heated grips. In addition, being all bluetoof compatible using organic gluten-free bacon scented non-GMO vegan Corinthian leather materials, of course. Then we'd all be happy and the FZ09 comparisons would finally go away.

:biggrinjester:
If they'd make this with a hole in the seat so I wouldn't have to get off to take a crap - I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

#29 ·
I welcome the 800 move. Triumph needs to do something because the FZ-09 is stealing it's thunder. Keep in mind the Street Triple way out sells the Daytona in the US. So what is going to move more STR matters a lot more.

I am actually in the market early next year to move to a new bike because the STR is fine as a solo bike but two it lacks a bit. My two-up riding has become the majority of my daily riding so the 800 might just be what I am looking for.

#31 ·
...Triumph needs to do something because the FZ-09 is stealing it's thunder..
Unless Yamaha vastly upgrades some of the componentry on the FZ-09, Triumph will never be able to compete with the Yammie's low price tag. In the USA the dollar is king, most folks will go with the cheaper option, especially after you factor in how prevalent Yamaha dealerships are compared to Triumph dealerships.

#30 ·
Pertaining to the 130rhwp 675... simple reason: Warranty Work.
People will be popping these motors left & right, longevity will be a HUGE issue.

I would love to see a 800 Daytona with an honest 130-135rwhp, also should weigh no more than 420lbs. It will have to come with all the electronics everyone else is using or it will be a total fail on Triumphs part.

Reactions: bznchris
#32 ·
For the potential price of what a 800 costs, I'd look into force induction as it would probably be cheaper and make a lot more power and torque.

Cool factor x10

#33 ·
For the potential price of what a 800 costs, I'd look into force induction as it would probably be cheaper and make a lot more power and torque.

Cool factor x10
I was about to say it wouldn't be as reliable, but then I remembered @NAK3D's 225HP turbo ST3 still going strong after a few years at those levels. However, his setup is definitely not cheaper.

#39 ·
I would be shocked if they dump the daytona. It is their only "sport" bike. I think it would be horrible for them. I personally never even considered a triumph till walking past a daytona on the showroom. Now i want to buy a st3 for street, but again without the daytona i would not have been a buyer.

#40 ·
My thoughts are that bike engines might need to increase in cc to keep the same power output. Euro4 regulations have already done that with a few European bikes. The Ducati "small superbike" is up to a 959 now from 899cc. That's near enough a 1000cc. Yamaha, BMW and MV are all producing 800's. The 675 is a cracking engine, but new bikes will be strangled by the euro4 regs. The only other way to go is down, lots of sub 400cc bikes nowadays.

#41 ·
I just realized last week that this is happening in general. Manufs won't be allowed run the engines "hard" since the upper band has more emissions. So they have to oversize and not use the full potential. I think this is basically what vw gave the finger too, now their sky is falling.

:cuss:

#48 ·
Why would you

No need to sell something that beautiful that rides as near perfect.:smile2:

#54 ·
Seeing as they haven't gotten rid of the dual high-mount exhaust, I don't believe it's that much lighter on specs. However it could be a mass-centralization thing that makes it appear that way.

I think triumph missed the target with the new speedy by not giving it a more pronounced power bump than they did. I believe they also should have included cruise control... I mean they went through the trouble of making it ride-by-wire and they have the cruise algorithms from the tiger lineup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.