Triumph 675 Forums banner

My Trackday pics..

8K views 44 replies 32 participants last post by  slavei 
#1 ·
my 1st trackday....body stiff and bad positioning....any advice guys?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Get your head out there!!! Also sit as far back as you can in the seat.

#6 ·
You are crossed up. This is the absolute most dangerous riding position at speed. You will quickly run out of bike lean and low-side.

Put your bike on a sturdy track stand, and practice your lean. Slide back in the seat until your arms are horizontal with the ground. Lock the ball of your outside foot and your knee between the tank and your peg (stomp pads, or grip tape are a must). This creates an anchor point that will hold the weight of your entire body, and allow your arms to have no pressure on them at all (I can't express how important this is). If you are a larger person, you can use the back corner of your seat cowl as a third anchor point for more support. Place one ass cheek on the seat and the other off. You are now in the "set position". You get in this position before you reach your turning point. When you are ready to commit, drop your knee as far as you can, and reach the chin of your helmet to your inside hand. (Imagine you are trying to touch the chin to your hand) remember to always look as high into your turn as possible.

Practice this is lower speeds. This will help you feel more comfortable being off the bike. When you get scared, or tense you will revert to crossing up again. Take your time, you have to go slow to go fast.

Also, remember to have fun!

#8 ·
for what its worth, here is a pic from my first track day. I need to work on getting my upper body lower and moving everything off a little more, but i think i have ok form just that i need to do everything a little more.

#13 ·
This bike responds to body position like no other that I have been on! The Super T is so heavy it doesn't care where you are, it stays the same, but this bike, you can push it right back up when you lean inside, COOL! Me likey.

#14 ·
I just did a track day last week at Jennings GP with my Street Triple and I noticed alot of bad positioning starting off.
One rider was was sitting straight up on his bike and leaning very far over, much more than I was in turn one, but i easily passed him. I explained that using body position to help shift the center of gravity and lode the inside of the tire helps you in not needing as much lean angle for a given rate of turn.
So with the street triple, do your best "flying W" on the straights and only pop up for addtional drag while breaking and get back down again to help move about the bike when setting up for the turn.

#15 ·
I'm no expert, but I'm a big guy and have a few pics that give a good comparison.

Other than moving your butt back to get your chest closer to the tank, I'd say you need to commit to the corner more with your upper body. A few tips that helped me do the same were: Head toward your inside wrist, drop your inside elbow, hold the inside bar like you would a screwdriver, and imagine trying to push the bike verticle (esp on corner exit) will all help get your body weight where it needs to be to increase clearance and help you get on the gas earlier. Other than that finding good anchor points for your outside leg so you can be relaxed on the bars in inputs.
Turn in:

Mid corner:

#20 ·
interesting.. i find the whole thing very weird with the upright handlebars. it feels hard to anchor myself correctly.

trying to lean forward with these huge handlebars means at some point you have to adopt the Ben spies "elbowz" style.

so much easier and natural with clipons. if only there were an easy way of switching between clipons and handlebars.. :)

#21 ·
interesting.. i find the whole thing very weird with the upright handlebars. it feels hard to anchor myself correctly.

trying to lean forward with these huge handlebars means at some point you have to adopt the Ben spies "elbowz" style.

so much easier and natural with clipons. if only there were an easy way of switching between clipons and handlebars.. :)
Funny you should mention that the same crossed my mind when I saw my track pics. Possible solutions to get the body position into a more racy position are: A)clip ons, too low for me & tank clearance issues. or B) Drag bars which I fitted yesterday. MUCH BETTER, still OK for road use, no clearance problems cables all still OK but I had to remove the flyscreen (or cut it) They are also shorter so it gets your elbows in & they look great with Triumph bar end mirrors. :cool2:

#26 ·
As what others have said, you're crossed up.
Try doing the "kiss the mirror" thing - it will help immensely.

When moving your body over into "lean" position, try getting your head into a position where you could theoretically kiss your mirror. This will also help get your body down lower....

#31 ·
Poppyman is a big dude, what a hoon :nod:
^^I heard that guy's a sick cunt too^^

Also, I hear the inside foot is meant to be on the end of the peg, which is what the alleged "Poppyman" is doing here. But on the striple, this results in toe drag reasonably often. Is it not meant to be on the meat of the peg (although there seems to be less grip)?
Such positioning currently feel awkward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.