Triumph 675 Forums banner

Snapping! Clicking!! @#%#??!!

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
2009 Daytona 20k miles.

Bike is running great but today it started making a nasty rattle, I can not find it. I spent hours reseting the timing (because my dumbass pulled the tensioner), checking valve clearance, generally looking for the problem. I've got a track day tomorrow so I hit it pretty hard today but I can't figure it out. I am thinking cam chain tensioner or some type of valve damage.

Maybe someone can help me. When turning the engine using a socket on the crankshaft there is a clicking ,snapping sound as the rockers roll over the cam lobes. IS THIS NORMAL?

Thanks!
t_bare

#3 ·
I installed a manual CCT and that fixed the chain rattle but I still have a knocking.

I have found all of the Exhaust clearances are tight they should be .325-.375 and I have measured them at .279-.305 (.011"-.012")
A couple of the intakes are tight too they should be .10-.20mm and I've got 3 of them at .076 or less

And finally I found some junk in my oil. The black pieces are szwarf that were up top but the copper/brass looking pieces I'd love some help with.

Thanks!
t_bare

Attachments

#4 ·
I installed a manual CCT and that fixed the chain rattle but I still have a knocking.

I have found all of the Exhaust clearances are tight they should be .325-.375 and I have measured them at .279-.305 (.011"-.012")
A couple of the intakes are tight too they should be .10-.20mm and I've got 3 of them at .076 or less

And finally I found some junk in my oil. The black pieces are szwarf that were up top but the copper/brass looking pieces I'd love some help with.

Thanks!
t_bare
That looks like part of a bearing.

#9 ·
You saved that engine FYI. You should be able to get that crank polished and use a thicker bearing really depends on how deep the scoring is. Regardless the tolerances on all other surfaces need to be checked, cams, crank, pistons, wrist pins, etc.

Edit: Looking at it again it looks like the mains are pretty worn too. You might be able to save the crank but it might be cheaper to buy another depending on the amount of work needed. I would swing it by a reputable machine shop and see what they say.

That bike ever run on its side or low on oil?

Oh I would flush the whole block out as well, gets rid of any metal left over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.