Triumph 675 Forums banner

Brand new Daytona - oil leaking from hole in sump

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Kubajz 
#1 ·
I have a brand new 675R that I just put 500 miles on. I noticed it was dripping oil over the last week, just a little bit. While pulling the exhaust off, I got a chance to look for the leak and discovered it's coming from a small machined hole in the sump. I can only assume this is some sort of breather or overflow, but without holding the removed sump cover in my hand, I can only assume. I can't find any reference to this in the manual. Can someone chime in here with what is it for and why it is leaking? It may go away after I change the oil. I'm hoping the dealer overfilled.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That is the water/oil pump weep hole. The question is is it leaking from around the tube or out the tube. If it's around the tube then it's the o-rings that seal the tube in the oil pan. If it's coming out of the tube then the oil pump seal is leaking which means an whole new oil/water pump. Either way it's warranty.

#6 ·
The oil and water pump are one unit and use the same drive shafted. However they have a gap separating them inside the housing. This gap has a drain. This prevents an oil leak or water leak between them from contaminating the each other. Pretty much all motorcycles use this same design.

Yeah it sucks if it happens but when you buy new that's when you come across assembly mistakes. Quality control catches most of them but mistakes happen and sometimes they get through to the customer. That is exactly why we have warranties.

#7 ·
Hey Dogged, did you ever sort this issue out? The exact same thing happened to me, went out for a nice long ride this morning and came back home to check the oil level out of curiosity(just got the bike tuned). Low and behold I had a slow weep from that very same hole. The bike was quite hot so I let it cool off and eventually it stopped. I honestly thought a bolt might have shaken out but then I put the bike on a stand and took a good look and noticed there's no threads so figured it was a weep hole. Been stressing out about it all day long, less than 400 miles on the bike for me. Was looking forward to riding this memorial day weekend but if the bikes gonna be out of commission I'm gonna be depressed lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.