Triumph 675 Forums banner

Daytona 675 twin??

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ladwign 
#1 ·
I'v got an '07 Daytona that is a dedicated track bike only. I've owned it since new and it has 21,xxx miles on it. I started it tonight to load in on the trailer for the next trackday this week and ran into an issue. It fired right up, like always, and idled for about 1 minute. I got 2 bars of temp. and then it sounded like it dropped a cylinder. I gave it a little throttle but it wouldn't clean out. I shut it off and tried to restart but got the same thing. After another 2 start attempts, it would sputter but not start anymore. No CEL and found nothing when hooked up to TuneECU.

Finally, I gave it some throttle to get it started and kept it going long enough so I could verify by touching the headers which cylinder wasn't firing. If you sit on the bike, 1 being to the left, 1 was cold; 2 was hot; 3 was very hot. All 3 have spark, I removed the injectors and rail and cleaned them. No luck. Bike cranks fine, but sputters and won't start. Any ideas? CPS, fuel pump, injectors?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#3 ·
It's only been "track only" for about 3 years. 6-7 trackdays per summer at my local track, Blackhawk Farms (1.9 miles?) I've done 4 trackdays this year, and it runs like a champion. It uses little oil if any between changes every 3-4 trackdays. I changed the spark plugs last winter, and changed them again now because I thought maybe 1 or 2 were fouled. They looked a little rough (see photo's).

I cleaned the fuel injectors the best I could, installed new plugs, and it still won't start. It will sputter briefly, every other time I attempt, but won't fire.

I pulled the injectors out and leaned them parallel to a piece of cardboard and cranked it and each one was spraying fuel. Seems like I have spark and fuel, but still no start. I must not have enough of one of them or something. I don't know where to go next. Re-load current TuneECU map? New CPS? What do you think?

Attachments

#6 ·
ok, got the bike running. Just to bring this full circle, I ordered a stator/CPS from TJ at Riders Discount. It arrived in record time and I put it on last night. It took a couple tries, but it fired and came back to life. I may have had some bad gas too, so I dumped it and filled it up with fresh fuel this morning and took it down a road nearby. Runs perfect, plenty of power for first gear power wheelies! In summary, I'm not 100% sure what it was. I cleaned the injectors, changed spark plugs, drained the tank and filled up with fresh fuel, and changed the stator/CPS. It's ready for Road America in a few weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.