Triumph 675 Forums banner

keeping daytona outside

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  NovaScotian675 
#1 ·
How many of you all have to keep your bikes outside for whatever reason (not in a garage)? If so how do you all cope with dealing with the elements wearing on your bike's parts? I live in texas so we dont get the extreme cold just extreme heat (Austin). Any precautions other than a bike cover?

#2 ·
I keep mine outside. Have it under a cover and with more chains around her than a rapper. As for the elements I give her a wash every so often and try to keep the area around clean of leaves and garbage.

#3 ·
You'll probably need multiple covers over time because the sun be strong as fug.

Even the most expensive ones will be worn down from the sun. Avoid the real waterproof covers as that will create humidity underneath and cause shit to grow.

#4 ·
You could buy one of those car port canapes or something. A few people around me have those and then cover the bike. Or honestly if you have the room go to home depot or something and pick up a shed.....or build one. Cover is OK temporarily but they do deteriorate quickly and tend to scratch up the paint as they age and get brittle, even with the microfiber liners. Wind is always an enemy with covers too. Not only does it blow around and scratch it up but it can also act as a parachute. When I stored my old bikes outside temporarily I bought a truck cargo net and wrapped it around the bike and cover to keep it from blowing around. Worked well for the 3k miles trip in the back of my truck too...under the cover and net I wrapped the bike in a microfiber blanket. Went through a blizzard and all without a scratch. If you do end up just covering it I would highly suggest not leaving it under for more than a week or so especially in damp conditions. Remove and wash the bike and cover frequently.

#5 ·
Carport/outside shed is the next best option as already said. I have a carport built to the house I park both my bike, ATV and truck on.

I use a Dowco Weatherall Plus cover (size large to fully cover the bike and its vented) to keep it covered while under the carport. Last two winters and this summer we have seen some major storms (ice, snow, rain, high winds) so the cover has seen some action even under the carport. So far so good, no scratches and its holding up very well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
If you have the space, I would get one of those motorcycle shelters. I only have space for one bike, so one needs to go outside. It will need to be under a cover on the side of the house. The good thing is that it won't see a whole lot of rain or sun since it's on the north side of the house partially covered by the roof overhang. Should be fairly well protected from wind too. It's Socal after all; no real weather here :)

#10 ·
Knolly, that looks pretty sweet! How much did that run you, and where can I buy that??

#12 ·
when i lived in the city i had to keep it outside, on the sidewalk, chained to the window bars. i considered using a cover but it's just a pain to remove and store every day. to my surprise, no one attempted to steal it from what i could tell. it was touched often though, mostly by kids. in fact, a couple kids climbed on and tipped it over. i had to chase them down and scold them.

the bike was still outside for at least two winters and i rode when i could, but now i see the engine block oxidizing and that EXUP valve cover plate screws are rusted to shit so i'm having trouble getting it off.

other than that, i loved seeing my bike outside and i felt i was sharing that with other people

#13 ·
That's the exact shelter I looked at! It was just too big to put on the side of the house but if you have the space, that is definitely the way to go! You also don't have to wait for the bike to cool down before you store it. A cover would definitely be a pain for daily use; with two bikes, it's not that bad. I'll just alternate weeks of riding them.

#15 ·
That speed way shelter is pretty sweet. I live at an apartment that doesn't allow us to use a traditional storage shed, so something like that would be perfect. I already had one bike stolen a few years ago, but now I chain my two bikes together and so far, so good. I've got a Dowco Guardian cover with an alarm built in, but it can be a pain at times. Better than nothing though, and keeps it out of the elements for the most part.

#16 ·
If you guys want a really great outside cover, there is only ONE. I'v used the same one since I got the 675 (2006),great in rain and/or snow. The Bike Barn. just lift it open ride out, drop it back down or leave open. Then ride right inside and lower, no external cover need.The covers last about 6 years here in Nova Scotia then $180 gets a new one, well worth it, I'v 2, set up on the driveway,and daughter has one for her bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.