Triumph 675 Forums banner

Street Triple Clip Ons (install prep?) - Install pics / etc inside

13K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  twitchel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Anything i should know before i install clip ons tomorrow on my Street Triple? What I've found so far to be aware of, is that i'll maybe need to fabricate a new brake resoviour bracket? Other than that seems fairly straight forward. However, most of the posts I've read have been regarding the D675 clip ons instead of the street triple. So i guess what i'm asking is there any big difference between swapping out clip ons for the street triple vs. the Daytona that I should be aware of. and or does anyone have any prep tips before i get started tomorrow?

They're Apex Clip Ons if it matters. Did Apex ever make a bracket for our resoviours or are people just making their own?

Thanks.

#3 ·
It's a straight forward job.

I did mine by dropping one fork at a time from the triple clamp and sliding the Apex clip-ons over the top of the fork leg.

There is a limited amount of room on full lock clearance between the gauge's and the brake res if you have the non remote reservoir like on the standard street triple, but with the remote brake res you can just make a new bracket up and there is plenty of room.

You may have to re-route a cable or two but it's no big problem.

Don't use locking fluid on the Apex bolts until you have tried out the position of the clip-ons a couple of times to get the right seating and riding position that suits you.

Overall, they are not hard to fit, just take your time and it will all go easily.

S.

#4 ·
yea i ran into some cable clearance issues along the way. Took lots of pics which i'll throw up here shortly. Both sides don't match up perfectly though right now because of the brake cable and it's weird metal bend at the top. However I do have full clearance from side to side so i can still lock the bars etc. It's pretty aggressive overall. Will take some getting used to since i was so adjusted before! I did dremel a few things as well. (the kill switch housing and the turn signal housing) as both of those have a little notch in them that connects to the OEM bars. I didn't want to drill into the APEX clip ons so i just dulled that nub down.

i didn't use lock-tite on any of the bolts (should i?) for that reason, want to make sure that THIS is the position i want.

Anyways, pics soon.

#5 · (Edited)
ok took a bunch of pics for ya 'ugly'. heh.
Please note I'm not a mechanic nor a professional, just trying to give my experience here for whatever it's worth.
I'm also curious if theres things i could've done better, and or if you do something you think might be better. Please post it up here. Thanks.

here's what i ran into, i think i still have some work to do to clean things up a bit but overall they work without any major adjustments. Was able to re-use the OEM fuel res. bracket too....though i might try and make a diff. one later.

for now though.....

take the bar ends off.

I started with the left side, take the left grip off

losen up your bolts and screwed housings. (yes my mirrors have ugly washers right now - that's what you get for ebay mirrors - shorter bolts are in the mail)

hole on left side

hole on right side

Then when you get to the throttle housing you'll either have to get some slack in your throttle cable to get it off the bar. OR what i did was to remove everything but that, then remove the handle bars completely and slide it off.

Then your all set to take off your top triple tree

NOTE: The key housing WILL come with it. It's hard bolted underneath and i wasn't sure how to get it off without it, so I just pulled it up all together and it worked just fine. here's what the bottom of the triple tree looks like.

Now go throw your clip ons on and get them in the 'ballpark' of where you want them. Might also help to tighten them down a little just to check clearance before moving on. Note this positioning. It didn't work for clearance for me....I took a pic anyhow.

Then once your in the 'ballpark' of where you think you wanna be go ahead and start putting your turn signals, clutch, etc. back on. Things will change once you get it all on for 'clearance' so make sure to just lightly tighten things on as they'll possibly need to be re-adjusted to your likeing / clearance prefs.

Once you get the left side sorted out for the most part I did the right side. One trick is to make sure you put the throttle back on the bars before you connect them (ie. reversing how you took them off with the OEM bar) so you don't put everything on and then realize you can't fit the throttle housing back on. In this pic you can see the brake res. is flat and good but i had to bend my wrist up to get the brake lever. vs. the clutch side which was really nice and smooth to grab. So i had to make some changes.

This is the snag for me, this part of the brake line kept getting in the way of my 'ideal' brake lever setting. So i eventually moved the Apex bars from their original position to a +1 fwd position which raised the bars a little and allowed this to fit behind the clip ons around the forks. (if that makes any sense!)

You'll also notice that the clip ons are up almost all the way, that's because i couldn't get any clearance (maybe i was doing something wrong) while they were all the way down. I was a little bummed at first but after my ride home i'm glad they're a little higher i think. At least my back is happier i'm guessing.

The front brake res. was at a serious angle with the OEM bracket so i undid the nut holding it in place, and then dremeled down the knot that was holding it in place for the oem braket. That allowed me to rotate it upwards a little more getting it a little more parallel with the ground. I could probably have gotten it even flatter but ran out of time.

Here's how it's setup now. I never could get the brake lever and the clutch lever to mirror each other angle wise so for now the brake lever is slightly lower (angle wise) than my clutch lever. Only solution i see is moving the bars to 'straight bars' or getting a different brake line that doesn't have the metal kink ours has.

In the end. Here's clearance on both sides.

For now, it's Done. Rides a lot more aggressively and leans a lot easier, and of course looks good IMO. :thumbup:

#22 ·
Hey mate. Can you confirm how much of the fork surface that the clipons need to grip?

I've measured the forks on my street triple R last night, and I'm unsure if its gonna work too well... the forks are 50mm diameter, however, ~15mm below the triple clamp it tapers down to 48mm diameter.

Im thinking i might have to get 48mm diameter clipons and have them a bit lower than the triple clamp. For this to work though, i'd need to be able to take the clipon clamp apart so that i dont have to slide them down the forks from the top. Is this possible?

Thanks
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.