Triumph 675 Forums banner

Engine Mgmt Warning Light

21K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  ALLoneUP 
#1 ·
Bums,

Took my bike into town on Saturday (card and choccies plus stuff for me) and the warning light is on.

That said the manual says it should be in limp home mode and it felt fine - revved all the way and went briskly enough (I was in normal pants (not leathers) so wasn't pushing the big speeds).

Now the Triumph garage in Leeds is shut (wel I presume it is) the nearest dealer is miles away in York! The Leeds engineers managed to balls up the last work so not too displeased they won't be touching it again.

Triumph ownership has been (unfortunately) very much as expected - lovely bike but hopeless reliability.

I'm gonna just see if it sorts itself out next ride.

Rich

#2 ·
Just had the same thing happen to me nd it was fixed in 5mins Saturday at the dealer..
Most likely the exhaust valve servo.. Dam weather and winter riding will bind the cables.. (Not a great design) They ain't Hondas but these bikes are pretty damn reliable.. It'll get sorted quickly, if it's running fine, just ride it.. Once the code is set once the light won't go out (or so I'm told)..

#3 ·
try this

I had the light come on once as well. Dealership said one of the reasons it comes on is as a low battery indicator. Sure enough, I took the battery out, charged it a while, put it back in the bike and light went away. Make sure to unhook the battery cables completely when juicing the battery in order to reset the computer. Good luck.

#4 ·
I had the light come on once as well. Dealership said one of the reasons it comes on is as a low battery indicator. Sure enough, I took the battery out, charged it a while, put it back in the bike and light went away. Make sure to unhook the battery cables completely when juicing the battery in order to reset the computer. Good luck.
Same thing used to happen with my D650. The battery was forever being drained by the alarm, and then the EML would come on, way to fix it as above.

#6 ·
Rich

Same here. My light came on about 4 weeks ago and I took it into Eddy's as I know them all very well. Steve the mechanic put the diag tool on and found it was the exhaust valve sticking. I managed to get over to A1 in York yesterday to get it fixed. It needed new cables and a new acutator.

To tell if it is the exhaust valve just take the cover off to see if it moves. If you don't know where it is then it's on the off side behind the foot peg. Black box with two cables coming out of the bottom. This is the acutator and it should turn on start up and when over 4k rpm. The actual valve is in the exhaust and you need to take the fairing off to get at it.

Where are you as there is another Triumph dealer in Doncaster if that is nearer.

#8 ·
To tell if it is the exhaust valve just take the cover off to see if it moves.
Mine made a labored motor noise that repeated three times when the key was turned on.. Zzzzzzzz.....Zzzzzzz.....Zzzzzzz
Thought it was the fuel pump at first, but it was the motor trying to move the valve...
So there are TWO common causes of the Check Light, Exhaust and flat battery! Good to know!

#9 ·
My light came on Saturday, took it too the dealers today and found it to be the exhaust valve...when you turn on the ignition you can hear it making a different noise to what i am use to. The dealer was muttering something about it might not be under warranty, until i replied you must be joking mate it is only 6 months old.

They do try.......

#11 ·
So it seems March is the month of lights .

Mine came on this morning 40 mls into my commute .

Exhaust valve has been making iffy noises for the last week so I'll be checking that ASAP

#13 ·
Funny...I just got back from a ride from Palomar Mountain and five miles from home, my check engine light comes on. I put it on the battery tender and its a green light from the getgo, so it must not be the battery. The bike was riding fine so I'm thinking its that exhaust servo valve. This happened to me previously when I was taking it to the dealer for the 500 mile oil change. The bike is still under warranty so it should be no big deal.

However, since my factory warranty for my bike expires in June, I'm curious as to how to fix that exhaust servo valve if it happens again. I wouldnt want to pay up the ass for a 10 minute job.

#15 ·
However, since my factory warranty for my bike expires in June, I'm curious as to how to fix that exhaust servo valve if it happens again. I wouldnt want to pay up the ass for a 10 minute job.
Triumph reckon to take the header pipes off an lube the valve and wiggle with a spanner. Not for mine though. It needed new cables and a new actuator. I don't know if Triumph have changed anything but my wife has my 1st bike which does more commuting and at 2 years old, it's never had a problem. Mine is 1 year old and it was well corroded. The cover for valve and cables is crap and could have had a bit more thought put in to it.

#18 ·
i ride all year round and use dry ptfe spray on the cables as it dosent pick the crap up as for charging lidl are selling a intelligent charger for £10 and it works fine use it all the time. dealer wise i know its a bit further but robbinsons in rochdale are ace.

#19 ·
This sounds like the same issue I just discovered with my Daytona. After 8+ weeks of not running the bike, I went to get it out yesterday to prep for an upcoming track day. The engine management light flashes and the bike will not start. The manual of course says to take it to the dealer, but it sounds like a disconnect of the battery (and charging that battery, doh) will fix the issue. I didn't think it was a battery issue, though, as all the gauges were bright and the funny ignition-on sounds were normal.

Say, why is this happening to everyone in March...? I sense a factory conspiracy. :laugh:

#20 ·
it does make you wonder if a qaulity issue has slipped somewhere as the very early bikes like mine dont seem to suffer any of the regular probs perhaps triumph asked to much of suppliers when the demand went massive i got an early uk bike and i use it every day (2 winters) and this side of using an optimate its been perfectly reliable the dealer i use are long time (new)triumph and its a known fact in the uk that when the factorys got a prob they clam upthank god we have forums like this so we can get noticed!!! cheers you all.:grouphug2:

#21 ·
Had my 675 nearly 2 years, had a new exhaust, new valve, new cables and still I get the dreaded light. I told the dealer it has to be fixed once and for all before the waranty expires. Can be upto £700 to fix otherwise.

If a new aftermarket exhaust is fitted that doesn't need the stupid valve, what happens to the valve, wires and actuator stuff?

#22 ·
Well it goes in for yet another valve drive motor today. Still if it fixes it it will be perfect - just in time for the summer. Aparently, if you don't use the bike during the winter it can lead to the motor, valve or cables getting moisture and gunk build up on them and then subsequently failing in some way. This would mean riding throughout the winter and there is no way I am doing that. Thats what a winter hack is for. Maybe it needs regular lube but what with and where?

#23 ·
The same light came on for me yesterday while at Pembrey doing a track day the bike ran fine all day with no problems all i can put it down to is either the valve drive motor although it made the normal noises or that ive just put a new battery in

weird and will investigate - does anyone know if you can remove it easily as i spend most of the time on track but dont want to have to put a new system on, can it be held open and what effect this might have on performance

cheers all

#25 ·
Well mine is on for the fourth time in a year and the third time in the last two - three months. Everytime it is the exhaust valve. I so love that bike but that valve is driving me to despair.

Previously the dealers have lubed and greased the valve but for it to go again four weeks afterwards is a little disappointing. They're going to give Triumph a bell to see what can be done but given that it is out of warranty in two months I'd kind of like to get it fixed once and for all.

(Yes, I'm new here as well. Ignore the username. It is one I've used for a few boreds previously so am going for consistency.)

#26 ·
I'm beginning to think my bike hates me. Out for a gentle ride in the weekend and the damn rev counter has started sticking. It only returns to zero after I turn the bike on and off a couple of times. If I go over 10,000 rpm it tends to return to around 2 - 3,000 rpm lower than where I reached.

By the end of the ride my rev counter told me I was doing (working around past the end of the numbers) around 22,000 rpm. Even now with it off it is registering 4,500 rpm.

Back t' shop she goes. Again.

#30 ·
I have had the engine light come on twice in my bikes 13k life. The first time it disappeared after about 8 starts, the second time was in the last few days and disappeared after 5 starts. I rode around with the light on but made sure not to go past about 6k. Spoke to my mechanic who mentioned it was still ok to ride as I was many, many kms from home. I think the light came on both times when I started the bike too quickly. In other words the engine management system hadn't fully set. This might be why it disappeared after a few starts. My two cents worth.

#31 ·
The engine malfunction light stayed on after start-up, the other day, so back into the garage she went. The bike's 1-1/2 years old with ~13,000 miles under her.
Took her up to the dealership the next day. Seemed to run OK most of the way there, with the occasional surge & flutter on a fixed throttle. Sure enough, turned out to be the exhaust valve servo. The mechanic adjusted her enough to enable the malfunction light to stay off so I could ride her while waiting on the replacement kit.
The kit only took 3 days to arrive at the dealership (not bad considering I live in Texas), so one week later the bike's back at the shop for the replacement parts. All fitted an hour later (under warrenty). Fkn excellent service !!!

#32 ·
I've had the same servo problem, you can hear it working when turning the ignition on, if it doesn't it's faulty. Disconnect the electronics to the back of the servo motor, start the bike for 20 secs or so and turn off and reconnect. You will hopefully hear the familiar sound of it working when you turn on again. The warning light will go out after 3 heat cycles :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.