Triumph 675 Forums banner

Gear position indicator skipping over 3rd gear

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  *GT* 
#1 ·
I'm pretty much at my wits end so I'm throwing this last chance hail mary in hopes somebody has dealt with a similar issue:

Bike: 2014 Daytona 675 w/ race ECU and harness, Bazzaz Z Fi TC.

Issue: Gear position indicator is completely skipping 3rd gear whenever I run through the gears (1 N 2 4 5 6). When I'm in 5th the display reads 6th.

Attempted Interventions: I replaced the Gear Position Sensor. After I installed the new sensor I manually rotated the dial. The display STILL skipped 3rd gear. I'd suspect a faulty replacement if it didn't skip 3rd gear just like the one I replaced. I disconnected the ECU and the battery in hopes it would reset or recalibrate whatever it is that's causing the glitch. I should also note that the gear position initiator on my Bazzaz software also does not indicate the correct gear either. It just stays in neutral regardless.

I'm stumped and beyond frustrated (also troubleshooting an inoperable quick shifter)...hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction before I'm forced to take her to the shop.

#3 ·
On the 1st and 2nd gen bikes, a malfunctioning Gear Position Sensor was sort of common. A few folks had success just disassembling them and cleaning them. Mine was replaced under warranty about 1 year in, and has remained trouble-free. However, in the last year, it has malfunctioned a few times when it was pretty cold out (first thing in the morning). After the bike warmed up, it worked fine. Right now, it does not malfunction enough to be of any concern. Your situation seems a little more unique in that it's happening in a higher gear, as it's almost always a 1st-to-2nd gear misread. I'm suspecting it might be an issue related to the Bazzaz interface. Can you temporary disconnect the Bazzaz stuff to test in OEM-form?

#4 ·
That's a good question. At this point I'm not sure how to completely bypass the Bazzaz stuff, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I was under the impression that TuneECU reads directly from the motorcycle's ECU. I was hoping to see a glaring error code but everything checked out fine except the gear position display on the TuneECU software didn't register 3rd gear either. It's as if the gear has been deleted from the ECU. I'll give Bazzaz a call after the holidays to see if they can walk me through the troubleshooting process. What a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.