Triumph 675 Forums banner

Smoky air filter oil?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Infamous_D675 
#1 ·
I blew out my fabric air filter two weeks ago, and lightly oiled it. By lightly, I mean I did one line per pleat, instead of the recommended two,since I didn't actually soak it to clean it. Only had 3k miles on the filter, probably too soon. But, it's dusty Phoenix, so I want to be safe.

Today at a fresh green light, I got a good sized puff of smoke upon getting ready to go. Pulled over, let it cool wife examining, saw some light splatter, and a wet spot or two on the radiator fins. Coolant overflow is right at max, bike is hot. Oil is topped up, just like I left it. Haven't had rain... The paper towel did come back red.

So... I over oiled it. But that much that it's leaking onto the radiator? Any opinions would be appreciated. I'll even accept tww berating me for buying the damn reusable.

I'd rather it be over oiled, than any other worse things, but just want to rule anything else out.

#2 ·
The air filter sits inside the airbox which gets cool air, I don't see how that would cause smoke. The oil you used to clean/lube it probably got onto the headers or radiator and made it smoke till it burnt off. Did it stay smoking or just for abit until it all burnt off?

#3 ·
It was just that one puff, but I can see the wet spots on top of the engine between the spark plugs, and on the radiator. That's what I meant came back red btw, by splotching with a paper towel. I know the air box has vent holes, but for it to come out the front where it meets the frame?

#4 ·
Any chance you let some fall in that area while you were servicing the filter?

#5 ·
If it hasn't happened again I personally would not pay any mind to it and chalk it up to over oiling. Especially if this is the first time ever.

#7 ·
What filter cleaner and oil do you guys use?

#8 ·
I did not do a proper clean, as I am at 3k ish miles on the filter. I believe I also did find the "leak" where the plastic ram air tube meets the frame. It was indeed over oiled.

As for brands, I have KN, but I believe bmc is the "better" one, as I read elsewhere on here at some point. I don't really care about the .5 hp difference though.

I did get bmc oil, because amazon.

#9 ·
I don't use cleanable filters on my street bike but on customers bikes I've used KN cleaner and it works really well.

Don't ever add oil. Once oiled its oiled. The oil doesn't go away, ever. If you add oil you're just coating the dirt that's already clogging the filter this clogging it further reducing air flow further.

#11 ·
I don't understand putting up with the hassle of oiling and/or cleaning and re-oiling an air filter. Performance gains (of a K&N) are arguable and then you see questions like this thread - owners stressing out or having issues with it. Is spending $40 on an OEM filter every 3,000-6,000 miles that big a deal? :whistle:

#14 ·
It depends on the person. I enjoy working on my bike and despise waiting on parts or going to the dealership. To me cleaning the reusable air filter is not a big deal. It takes 15 minutes or so of easy work, then just waiting 24 hours to dry/reinstall. It saves me money and while the tank is off for those 24 hours the bike gets some other maintenance work done. Its not about performance gains for me, which I don't think there are any.

If your a daily commuter on your bike, then a K and N is not for you. Then again, it is, if you can wait 24 hours before riding the bike.

Now what is the best motor oil.... anyone?

#12 ·
I have a MWR filter and it came oily as hell so I'm assuming I need to clean and oil it once a year

#13 ·
Yes, caveman, it is. I bought my bike salvage rebuilt for much less than its worth. I have bought every helmet brand new at about half off. I sew my own leather.

I also own one spoon and a fork with only two spines, and shower once a month... Lol in a cheapass.

If I see an item that has been proven to work fine for many, without any adverse effects when done properly, if it will save a buck, I'll probably try it.

#15 ·
Motul 300v

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.